Volendam June 15-22 Daily Programs from VBMom87

KSSTravel

Hi,

I am working with VBMOM87 to post the daily program and cruise log from her recent Volendam Northbound Alaska cruise. The same info will also be posted in the HAL forum.

Being the first time cruiser on HAL and will be cruising Volendam in August, I myself am thrilled to see these real documents from the ship. 01.gifI hope you too find this helpful.

Many thanks again VBMom87!

Below is the program for the 1st day 6/15/08 Embarkation:

Volendam_Daily_June_150001.jpg

Volendam_Daily_June_150002.jpg

Volendam_Daily_June_150003.jpg

Volendam_Daily_June_150004.jpg

Thanks so much for thaking the time to do this! We'll be on the Volendam for a Southbound in August, and although timing will be different, It's great to get an idea of what's available.

I especially like the Navigator section so we'll know what points of interest and wildlife to look for at various points along the way. By the way, can anyone tell me the cost of the Alaska Cruise Handbook?

Thanks so much for thaking the time to do this! We'll be on the Volendam for a Southbound in August, and although timing will be different, It's great to get an idea of what's available.

I especially like the Navigator section so we'll know what points of interest and wildlife to look for at various points along the way. By the way, can anyone tell me the cost of the Alaska Cruise Handbook?

I believe they were $20 onboard ship. You can also purchase it through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Mile/dp/0979491509/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215360944&sr=8-1

I bought a used 2005 edition online. My BIL and I had a great time following in the book and with the map. The map that comes with the book has the coordinates. If you go to your cabom TV or to one of the navigation stations they have on the ship, you can find out exactly where you are at any given time. We were up the first night following along, even though it was dark outside. We were using lighthouses and bouys as our guides. I think some people thought we were a little nuts, but we had a great time.

Thanks very much for posting these !

Good availability of Alaska Cruise Handbook at Amazon.

I got lucky and local Barnes & Noble had them in stock!

Gail E.

PS - Hi Sharon,

I see you're out drooling

over travel tidbits with me!

Hi back to you! It's getting exciting now. What day do you leave on your cruisetour? We actually leave one month from yesterday! You're right; I'm right there with you, finding all the advice I can find!

Looking forward to meeting you really soon!

Sharon

We leave on the 12th, have a connecting in Minneapolis,

then straight to Fairbanks! Double Denali, Ankorage.

Do I remeber correctly you are taking Kanai Tour, too?

Perhaps we will meet then.

Liked the mile-by-mile guide so much I Amazoned 2 more so the Dad's will have their own copy. I think they will really enjoy them and if nothing else they will be great momentos of our trip.

Couldn't believe the luck in finding full capers posted.

Somehow makes it all the more real it is coming so soon!

Have a great day!

Gail

I agree, it's great to have a peak at the daily happenings. Only difference is that ours is a Southbound. I wonder if anyone has a set of Southbound daily's? I especially like the fact that you know what times are the prime wildlife sightings! One thing is for sure. Waking up early on the morning we go into Glacier Bay will be a must for me, because there's lot's of whales in Icy Strait/Adolphious Point(sp?) area.

Thanks for the tip on checking Borders; how much did it cost?

We're tending toward the Renoun Tour for the Kenai Fjords tour. I'll ask you more about your plans on our roll call thread. We went out last time we were in Alaska, but the weather didn't coorerate and the tour was shortened. I really am looking forward to being able to go out further! Even with what we saw, it was well worth the trip-we went out with the Saltwater Lodge cruise. We had a ball!

Sharon

Book was $16.15 to Barnes & Noble Member (that's me)

$20 without the discount. If I would have know I liked it that much I would have ordered all 3 copies from Amazon - as it was,

I picked up the 2 extra copies for parental units for $13.50 each with free shipping for I ordered over $25.

We are on the HAL excursion for Kenai - mystery outfitter, but it made life simple for us to transfer luggage, etc from hotel to ship.

Mom and Dad are devouring the capers too!

I think the times might change slightly for wildlife viewing as we are over a month difference in sunrise / sunset. Good to know they are taking care of that detail for us in the daily program!

Did you know we will be on the ship for the August full moon?

I may sleep on the balcony!

Gail

Archived