Walking to Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine's

nala 24

How far is the walk from the Cruise Ship Terminal to Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's Beach? Is it an easy walk? What are the basic directions from the ship?

Thanks.

I suggest you take a cab--It is a short ride and inexpensive. That way you'll save time and get to the beaches before they get crowded. On the way back ,you'll probably be tired from the sun and water.

If you do walk,it's impossible to get lost. Just ask anyone around.

How far is the walk from the Cruise Ship Terminal to Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's Beach? Is it an easy walk? What are the basic directions from the ship?

Thanks.

It's a good 15-20 minutes to Tobacco Bay and closer to a half hour, I would say to St. Catherine's. To get to tobacco bay, go straight from the ship to Duke of York street, turn right. Then take a left onto Duke of Kent and follow that up the hill, past the unfinished church, and then back down to Tobacco Bay, or take the last right before Tobacco Bay to get to St. Catherine's beach. There are signs to direct you along the way.

It's a good 15-20 minutes to Tobacco Bay and closer to a half hour, I would say to St. Catherine's. To get to tobacco bay, go straight from the ship to Duke of York street, turn right. Then take a left onto Duke of Kent and follow that up the hill, past the unfinished church, and then back down to Tobacco Bay, or take the last right before Tobacco Bay to get to St. Catherine's beach. There are signs to direct you along the way.

The walk to Tobacco Bay is a definitely, vigorous walk uphill for half the way. The bright side is that at the top, you can turn around and get a tremendous view of St. George and the cruise ship as a backdrop for photos.

An alternative would be to go to the right and walk to Fort Gates and the cut. Continuing past Fort Gates you would pass Alexandra Battery with its sea glass on the beach. Fort St, Catherine's is up around a hilly curve past the dairy farm. From there you can continue left to Tobacco bay. This is a much longer walk but the terrain is more level and easier to do. The ocean is always on your right, so it is very scenic.:)

Walk is less than a mile - but because it is uphill - it is a good hike. However remember you can have desert later because of the great exercise!;)

Cab ride from Ordinance Island was only $6. When leaving the beach - there are plenty of cabs dropping passengers off - so you can easily get one back to the ship.

Have fun! Tobacco was our favorite! Be sure to climb the rock and jump!!

An alternative would be to go to the right and walk to Fort Gates and the cut. Continuing past Fort Gates you would pass Alexandra Battery with its sea glass on the beach. Fort St, Catherine's is up around a hilly curve past the dairy farm. From there you can continue left to Tobacco bay. This is a much longer walk but the terrain is more level and easier to do. The ocean is always on your right, so it is very scenic.:)

We always walk this route back to the ship since it is so scenic.

Last year we met up with 2 couples heading toward Tobacco Bay, they didn't look like they would at least be going in the water. The husbands didn't seem to be impressed with the scenery either because one of them said PLEEEEEZE tell me there's something interesting up ahead.

He perked up and his stride quickened when I said there's a beach bar at St. Catherine's.:D

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to walk to get the exercise and see the beauty of the island. The walk sounds very scenic. Will these streets be on the map I pick up at the Visitors Center?

The $6 cab ride, might be the ticket for my teenage daughters and my parents.;)

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to walk to get the exercise and see the beauty of the island. The walk sounds very scenic. Will these streets be on the map I pick up at the Visitors Center?

The $6 cab ride, might be the ticket for my teenage daughters and my parents.;)

yes the streets are well marked on the map.

my answer to this question would be based on when you are going!

July--would never do the walk, my Dh didand even though he is a letter carrier who walks 7 miles a day, he was drenched in sweat.

if it was October, I'd do the walk!

Enjoy!!

To Tobacco Bay is not long and then St. Catherine's is very close to it. This is not a bad walk.

However, if you decide to continue your scenic route to walk to Alexandra's Battery and then back to the pier, NO, NO, NO!! My family loving refers to this as the March.

Archived