Questions re Celebrity Galaxy and Transatlantic Cruise

bmw2000

We are booked on the westbound transatlantic cruise from Rome to San Juan in December. It is my husband and I's second cruise and my mom and daghter (3)'s first. We have never cruised Celebrity before.

Can anyone tell me what the children's section is like on the Galaxy? Did you feel confident leaving your child there? Do they have a way to contact you if there's a problem? Did your child enjoy it?

I have an allergy to oranges and pineapples. Do any of you know if the cruise ship caters for allergies in any way?

What kind of activities can I expect onboard? When we did the MSC cruise there was bingo, trivia and a few other options. Is there usually a nice variety?

I saw that someone mentioned it was better to have a more southern itinerary on a transatlantic cruise. How do I know if our itinerary is southern or northern?

Sorry if these are silly questions - I'm a newbie.

Bianca

If you are going from the Med (Rome) to San Juan, you will take the southern route. The northern stretches from Britain to Canada and New York.

Celebrity does well catering to allergies. Let them know beforehand and also be sure to inform your dining room waiter. He(she) will take care of you.

TA activities are pretty good, and varied. Sea days are so relaxing -- lying out by the pool (on the southern route) and reading a good book are fantastic "activities."

Can't help you with info on child's activities.

love

joan

With diet issues it is best to contact them and fax your alergies prior to leaving. Also we carry a copy and give it to guest relations as soon as we board. The resturant mgr is usualy in the Rendevous lounge in the afternoon of debarkation, stop by there and give them a copy as well. When you get to your table ask the waiter to send the Assistant Matre'd over and explain your alergies to him/her. They are responsible for the food in their section and work with the Chef in the kitchen. The waiters will try but it's the asst matre'd who will make sure it happens. When in doubt ask, they are always willing to double check for you.

In the buffet area there are always assistant Matre'd on duty, generally they wear a grey jacket. They can help you out there if you have questions.

My wife has significant dietary restrictions, we sailed Celebrity on our first cruise and were so well taken care of we have continued for more than 10 more and have always found the waiters and especially the assistant Matre'd accomodating. We are hesitant to try another line.

Remember this level of service is over and above their normal duties and should be addressed in their gratuities when they contribute to an enjoyable cruise.

We are booked on the westbound transatlantic cruise from Rome to San Juan in December. It is my husband and I's second cruise and my mom and daghter (3)'s first. We have never cruised Celebrity before.

Can anyone tell me what the children's section is like on the Galaxy? Did you feel confident leaving your child there? Do they have a way to contact you if there's a problem? Did your child enjoy it?

I have an allergy to oranges and pineapples. Do any of you know if the cruise ship caters for allergies in any way?

What kind of activities can I expect onboard? When we did the MSC cruise there was bingo, trivia and a few other options. Is there usually a nice variety?

I saw that someone mentioned it was better to have a more southern itinerary on a transatlantic cruise. How do I know if our itinerary is southern or northern?

Sorry if these are silly questions - I'm a newbie.

Bianca

To tell you the truth I have never seen very many children on a Celebrity cruise. There are usually older retired folk on board especially on the longer cruises. So somebody whom has traveled with children will have to answer that for you

I can tell you that Galaxy is my favorite ship, way classy.

As far as food allergies, don't expect a lot, I have food allergies and even though I have contacted Celebrity, I have never gotten a response to my inquires. I would let the dining room staff know and your room steward, of your allergies. I have had better luck that way.

When you order your food ask if there is pineapples or oranges in the food you order, sometimes these things are well hidden.

I actually had a friend slap my fork out of my hand on the way to my mouth because she had just taken a bite of the same cake I had ordered, and discovered that it had nuts in it. :D While embarrassing at the time, we later laughed about it.

I have alway found lots to do on board from trivia to bingo etc.

Try to relax and enjoy your cruise. It is so much fun.

Kitty - it was probably who said you would be travelling in the Northern Atlantic.

If I'm being pedantic -the southern atlantic is Antartica.

So strictly speaking you are travelling in the southern part of the Northern Atlantic!

I travelled from FL to Med last April and it was pretty smooth with some warm days but not hot - this year Miami to Amsterdam cooler.

The weather can be very mixed at any time of the year of course.

Have a great cruise.

Pat

We are on your cruise; first time on Galaxy 5th time on Celebrity. Tons of activities for the adults including some great lecture series but very few kids (last year on March TA east we counted fewer than 15 out of 2800 passengers).

Hi Pat,

Glad to "meet" someone else on the cruise. We are really looking forward to it. Emily is used to small gatherings of children as the playschool where she goes has small classes (not more than 15), plus she's also great with "teachers" or other adult supervisors so I don't think that'll be a problem. Obviously we intend to enjoy time with her as well. She is a sweet and loving child and prefers quietly playing board games with me (ok her version of playing board games is letting each person have a turn to throw the dice until someone wins, but she's only three!) to large groups of kids. She does enjoy other kids, but it's not a must.

Have a great trip.

Bianca

Archived