Hurricane season

I have been reading mixed reviews on the web about which months are riskier than others during hurricane season. Is September a high risk month for hurricanes and storms in the Caribbean? What has been your weather experience cruising in Sept? TIA

I have been reading mixed reviews on the web about which months are riskier than others during hurricane season. Is September a high risk month for hurricanes and storms in the Caribbean? What has been your weather experience cruising in Sept? TIA

September is one of the highest risk months for hurricanes. That coupled with kids being just back to school in most areas are why the rates are so cheap that time of year.

We took our first cruise in mid-September a few years ago and had perfect weather the whole week. I would cruise that time of year again anytime - just go with the knowledge that there is a slight chance you could be re-routed or hit some rougher seas if there is a storm.

We have cruised for the past 17years in Sept. and have been in situations where the ship missed certain ports and We went to others. Also on some cruises the seas were rougher than usual. Usually very calm in the Caribbean.We cruise 3 times a year and go in Sept. to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary every year. We have sailed out of NYC and Florida and never really had a problem. We do take our dramamine before We board the Ship per Our Doctor. Don't wait until You get sick. It is the balance in your middle ear that causes sea sickness so Dr. advised us to take it day before and then when needed. Today with all the latest technology, the Captain and Staff know just where the hurricaine is going to be and believe me, they avoid it. So I wouldnot worry as the Captain and Staff wants everyone to have a safe voyage. IKE

Hurricane season starts in June and runs through November. Major hurricane season is August - October. We've gone down to Bermuda three times in August and only once did one come by but it was a near miss!:D Our next trip is in June!;)

I've cruised three times during hurricane season and two were in September. Have had no issues. The weather has been great. Ironically the two times we've missed a port were on cruises outside of hurricane season!

I cruise only in Sept, Oct, Dec and early Jan.

Sept. and Oct. are perfect. Ships simply don't sail into hurricanes or hurricane-type weather. The seas might be rougher if there are tropical systems around, but they will never cruise into hurricanes.

The nice thing about ships is they can change their itinerary to avoid much rough weather and seas. That's not to say that you might not hit a rough or rainy patch but that's the chance you take cruising during the season for hurricanes; May to November.

I've never experienced a problem except once having to drive to port because the airports were closed - and hit some high seas in the Gulf....but, for me, this only adds to the whole adventure.

Although the official hurricane season is June 1 through November 30 each year, the majority of the worth hurricanes have occurred in August. We start breathing a little easier when September arrives. We have gone through many here, and I lost my 160 year old house on the beach to Katrina.

However, I actually choose to cruise during the first week or so in September. Many of my cruises have been during that time - because I'm pretty much assured that most kiddies of all ages will be back in school. I have yet to encounter any bad weather of any kind on any cruise.:)

I lost my 160 year old house on the beach to Katrina.

My heart goes out to you...one of the saddest and heart-breaking things I've experienced was a drive along the beach between Gulfport and Biloxi a few months after Katrina hit...to see all those beautiful houses either completely washed away or in shambles was just terrible...Gulfport and Biloxi have been favorite vacation spots for me and my family since I was a little girl...I will say this: the fortitude and spirit of the folks on the Mississippi Gulf Coast in rebuilding their communities has been inspiring...even last year, when I last drove through, a lot of re-birth had taken place, and I am sure even more has been done...I look forward to a visit there soon

My heart goes out to you...

Thx, Tiger; I appreciate your thoughts. Yep, there's an empty lot at the corner of Beach Blvd. and Kelly Ave. I can't make myself sell it, and I can't possibly rebuild a house like that. I've thought of putting in a little garden park w/benches, plants and flowers.

Yes, these friends and neighbors of mine all over the coast have wills of iron. Pretty strong buncha folks, and didn't ask for much help either.:)

Although the official hurricane season is June 1 through November 30 each year, the majority of the worth hurricanes have occurred in August. We start breathing a little easier when September arrives. We have gone through many here, and I lost my 160 year old house on the beach to Katrina.

However, I actually choose to cruise during the first week or so in September. Many of my cruises have been during that time - because I'm pretty much assured that most kiddies of all ages will be back in school. I have yet to encounter any bad weather of any kind on any cruise.:)

I am so sorry :( I was in New Orleans a few years ago and fell in love with the city and her people, when Katrina hit land I think I spent most of the day in tears.

We are taking a repo cruise from New York to San Juan Oct 26 to Nov 2nd, hoping the weather is pretty much settled then, if not, I have full trust in the captain to divert us from danger.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your loss with Katrina!:( We've gone to Bermuda three times in August. Next year we're going back for #4 in June just to play it safe and to save a few $$'s!;)

Archived