I'm not sure I "get" formal night

LindaJ+

... and I didn't really think of it this way until one member of our group asked, "Other than everyone getting dressed up ... what's different?" You're still crammed into the same noisy dining room, the menu is basically the same, there's no special entertainment or anything like that, no champagne toasts like you might have at a banquet. On the 2nd formal night, they put white covers on the chairs but that was the only change. I guess it's just a holdover from the days of the Titanic and the great ocean liners when everyone dressed up for dinner all the time. I can see why it's probably on the way out.

... and I didn't really think of it this way until one member of our group asked, "Other than everyone getting dressed up ... what's different?" You're still crammed into the same noisy dining room, the menu is basically the same, there's no special entertainment or anything like that, no champagne toasts like you might have at a banquet. On the 2nd formal night, they put white covers on the chairs but that was the only change. I guess it's just a holdover from the days of the Titanic and the great ocean liners when everyone dressed up for dinner all the time. I can see why it's probably on the way out.

Yikes!!

We have yet to be crammed into the dining room - on any ship. Maybe it is just the location of our table. Crammed to me means that you are trying to sit 500 people in 400 seats -- JMO.

We have not always had white chair covers on the second or final formal night - depending on length of cruise.

Have been to many banquets over the last 40 years -- and the majority of the time we never got champagne to do a toast.

Oh yes -- Queens Grill on the QE2 -- we did have to dress up every evening for dinner -- and that wasn;t too long ago.

Dressing up for dinner on formal nights?? You better believe that we do. DH is now on his 4th Tuxedo and has quite a choice of cummerbunds and bow ties and vests, etc., to wear.

And I also love to dress up.

We had to wear formal clothes quite a few times to various functions while we working and it doesn't bother us to continue this fine tradition of cruising.

I gather that you don't like to dress up??

Truthfully - maybe you should consider cruising on NCL for your future cruises. JMO

I gather that you don't like to dress up??

Truthfully - maybe you should consider cruising on NCL for your future cruises. JMO

Linda:

Truthfully - Do NOT allow anyone to bully you around when it comes to "formal dinners" on Holland America. You'll find MANY, MANY cruisers who do not agree with HAL's "SUGGESTED" dress-code. JMO

The OP never said she didn't like dressing up. It seems that everyone is so quick to jump on the whole dress code thing!

I can see what the OP is saying. I don't mind dressing up for formal night, but I don't see anything different on that night over any other. Everyone is in fancier clothes but the food and atmosphere are the same.

The menu was different on the Westerdam last year. Some offers (diff nights) included the Pinnacle Grille crab appetizer as a main course, lobster, King Crab legs, and I think Prime Rib. The menu was more formal looking too.

Now on my Celebrity cruise there really was no difference at all.....and Lobster was on a casual night.

I have to agree with Linda (the OP). What's the whole point of "formal" night????

I don't have a history of cruising so I don't have much to base my experience on, but I really didn't find it any different than any other night. We sat in the same location with the same people as before. Nothing spectular happened during dinner. I'm not a lobster person, so don't care when it's served. No special shows or events after dinner to attend. In fact I noticed many people changed after dinner.

I'm not saying cruise ships should do away with formal night, but maybe offer another venue (besides the lido deck) for those who don't want to dress up. I enjoy the dining experience way more than a buffet but on my next cruise I probably will forgo formal nights.

I do respect the guidelines the cruise lines ask people to follow on formal nights and wouldn't think of showing up in casual clothing during formal nights.

I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruise!!!

Linda,

I understand what you are saying, but I do think the atmosphere on formal nights is a little more festive. It's fun to see everyone dressed up - I love to see the beautiful dresses and the men looking so handsome in their tuxes or dark suits. It just feels special to me. It's kind of a "champagne" atmosphere so to speak.

That being said, if I were to choose not to dress for formal night, I would simply dine in the Lido or order room service. One thing I would not do is disrespect the dress code. This is just personal choice.

This is what they call "the slobbing down of America". I'm surprised you all don't want to run around the ship with only your robes on........I really don't get why it is so hard for people to dress for dinner or is it that no one goes to decent restaurants any more, I guess we're all more inclined to go to fast food places, where we can go in jeans - tee-shirts

There is a difference on formal nights, the menu has more high quality food choices on it, such as Lobster and caviar. Your wait servers have their better dress uniforms on and yes they do cover the chairs and table in white. Some tables are lucky enough to have an officer sit and eat with them. By the way they furnish all the wine, really enjoy having them at the table.

Love dressing up for dinner, it is part of the ambiance of cruising and like another poster said, if you don't want to or don't like to, try NCL.

I do not "disrespect" the dress code, or even complain about it at all. I dress up in my formal attire and stay in it the rest of the evening even though as I head off to dinner at 5:30 there are still people running around in shorts and t-shirts which kind of ruins the "festive atmosphere" :D

I do enjoy seeing others all dressed up, but the fact still remains that I don't "get" why we do it. Is it simply tradition that has carried over through the years or is there some other reason I just don't know about since I'm new to cruising? If I spend a week at an all inclusive resort on vacation I dress nicely for dinner but there is no designated formal night. How did this get started on cruise ships and why has it carried over to today?

Help educate a new cruiser :)

I think the OP was asking "What's the point?".

Well I like to pretend I'm James Bond while standing at the craps table.

The point is: Let's do something a little out of the ordinary once in awhile. After all, we are on a ship with no where else to go, so let's play adult dress up and enjoy the evening. You can drag your butt over to McDonalds any night wearing grunge. Lets dress and act like civilized adults for two evenings.

And not everyone is so upset over dressing up once in a while and showing off their best finery. Why is it that so many people just make formality such a painful experience?

I don't get it either.

If someone wants a cruise w/o formal nights, choose another line...there are plenty of choices. There are the luxury cruise lines doing the "country club casual" thing. And there's Cunard that is more formal than HAL. NCL and Carnival who have the "come as you are" party thing going on. There's something for everyone, as they say.

Look at the cruise lines, select the one(s) that fit suit(s) your preferences, and go with it. Certainly on the Internet there's enough information out there. None of the cruise lines can be all things to all people.

Find what suits you and go from there. It's not rocket science.

I'm surprised you all don't want to run around the ship with only your robes on........I really don't get why it is so hard for people to dress for dinner\.

As I said before, I enjoying dressing up, and don't find it particularly "hard", but I was still interested in the answer to the question "why do we have formal nights."

This is what they call "the slobbing down of America". I'm surprised you all don't want to run around the ship with only your robes on........I really don't get why it is so hard for people to dress for dinner or is it that no one goes to decent restaurants any more, I guess we're all more inclined to go to fast food places, where we can go in jeans - tee-shirts

There is a difference on formal nights, the menu has more high quality food choices on it, such as Lobster and caviar. Your wait servers have their better dress uniforms on and yes they do cover the chairs and table in white. Some tables are lucky enough to have an officer sit and eat with them. By the way they furnish all the wine, really enjoy having them at the table.

Love dressing up for dinner, it is part of the ambiance of cruising and like another poster said, if you don't want to or don't like to, try NCL.

Why should I not enjoy HAL simply because I do not choose to spend a lot of money to buy a fancy gown/dress to make others happy? I do not consider myself or others who choose to dress in clean, neat smart casual clothes any less deserving of HAL service than those who can afford expensive dresses and tuxedos.

Having an officer sit at my table would be pleasant, but no more so than the company of fellow passengers. Everyone I have ever had contact with on a HAL ship has been courteous, polite, and a pleasure to get acquainted with. For me, clothes (mine or that of others) do not make the cruise so special...it is the people themselves that are special.

Oh, yes, one more thing, I assure you that we go to nice restaurants and we do not go wearing robes. That comment was completely unnecessary, IMO.

Archived