Dance Floors and Dancing

Persephone

Good evening,

I am new on this forum. My husband and I are looking at a seven-day cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary. We are both young professionals (early to mid-30s, yes, we got married young -- more or less right out of university:D), and we want to go on a cruise in autumn. Neither of us has ever been before, and we don't really know anybody who has undertaken a cruise either. It seems that cruising is not all that popular among our age group.

We want to book a Caribbean cruise, but we have not chosen a particular cruise line yet. Now to my questions: We are both avid ballroom dancers, and were wondering if there will be dancing on formal nights. How about the other nights? Also, how large are the dance floors on the various ships? I have done some research, and know that Cunard has excellent dance floors, but what about the other lines?

We are not really interested in Carnival, since we are both quite formal, and figured that Carnival would be too casual for us. We really want something quite elegant, but would like to explore alternatives to Cunard.

Thank you kindly for any assistance/information you can provide.

I can only speak to Princess, the last time I cruised with them in the Southern Caribbean they offered Ballroom dance classes and as I remember their dance floors seemed a bit larger than what I had seen previously on Carnival (you are right Carnival is less formal, but alot of fun) Princess is more formal and sounds as though you and your husband may enjoy it. I also sailed on NCL and IMHO you and your husband WOULD NOT like NCL one iota!

The other ships I have been on have gone the way of the Dinosaur....But I am trying MSC next year word has it they are a very traditional cruiseline but since i haven't been on any cruises with them before I can't speak to the cruising experience with MSC.

Hope this helps. Cruising is a great vacation it's all you want it to be you can be as active or as relaxed as you like

one other thing cruiselines do offer themed cruises and perhaps you could find some like minded ballroom dancers.........

\

Andy

Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it. We were also looking at Princess, of course, and find it very encouraging that you gave such positive feedback.

I do know that they have themed cruises, but we we decided against that. We are not typical ballroom afficionados; we don't do competitions and we are not really immersed in the world of professional dancing. We are social dancers who enjoy the glamour and elegance of ballroom dancing. To be honest, that is also what appeals to us about a cruise. We are looking for some lost splendor of a bygone era.

Can you please tell me what NCL is? Norwegian Cruise Lines? I am new to this, so I am not yet familiar with the acronyms and abbreviations.

There seem to be a LOT of ballroom dancers on Holland America cruises. They always have lessons, and a lot of the dance floors are full. Unfortunately, I have NO rhythm, so the wife has to find others to dance with........and never has a problem finding partners.

We like HAL, and have cruised with them a few times, and have a 10day cruise coming up in November. More people tend to dress up on HAL too..........that makes the wife happy............

My husband and I also enjoy social dancing. On our recent Costa Fortuna cruise, there were many opportunities for ballroom dancing (and a great large floor in the Grand Bar Conti di Savai), as well as fun poolside dance lessons daily.

However, Costa does not go into the Caribbean market until December - March, so I'm not sure if that would be too late in the year for you.

Whichever you pick, I hope you'll love cruising (can't imagine that you won't! ;) )

And, indeed, NCL in Norwegian Cruise Lines!

My wife and I also like to dance but have found that it's not the size of the floor that counts but the rhythm of the band (group). On one ship the band was good, if you liked show tunes, without any regard to dance beats. On another the group was more interested in their vocal renditions than maintaining a proper dance rhythm. So, my answer is pick the ship and itinerary that appeals to you the most and take a chance on the dancing.:cool: For a reasonable mix of Casual and Formal I'd recommend Princess but pick a ship that has no more than 2000 passengers for your first time cruising.:)

I can only speak about Celebrity. I didn't notice as much ballroom dancing on Infinity last year, but I may not have been in the right places at the right times. On Century, it has a small dance floor, but there were LOTS of people dancing in the Rendez Vous Lounge (which often made for a crowded dance floor, though.)

There was a night with a sock hop elsewhere (Crystal Room - slightly larger dance floor, but again, somewhat crowded on this particular night, since this was a special event), so the Rendez Vous wasn't the only place for you to dance. And of course, in the nightclub - Hemisphere Lounge (never crowded!) - you could always chacha to the dance music!!! Or hustle on 70s night! :D

Oh, there was dancing every night, btw, not just formal nights. But there are a few different places with a dance floor - the type of music varied (though the best for ballroom was the Rendez Vous), and it was sometimes slightly crowded.

I'm thinking Celebrity is one line you might also like from what you've described. Have fun, whatever you decide!!! :)

Thank you so much for the responses. We have to book within the next two weeks, and I have now narrowed my search down to Princess and Holland America.

Yes, I agree very much with what one poster said: the band is just as important as the dance floor. If the band variies the rhythm and speed all the time, it's hard to dance regardless of the floor.

I am now really looking forward to our cruise.

My wife and I also like to dance but have found that it's not the size of the floor that counts but the rhythm of the band (group).

I will partially disagree with you. On my Explorer of the Seas cruise (Royal Caribbean), they had a small band (trio or quartet, as I recall) that played absolutely wonderful music for ballroom dancing. Unfortunately, for the entire 9-night cruise, they were located in the lounge at the top of the ship, which had a dance floor barely big enough for 3 or 4 couples for a rhythm dance - and forget any of the smooth dances, there was no room to travel at all! If they had placed this band - even for one night - in one of the lounges with a decently sized dance floor, my friend & I would've been in dancing heaven!

As it was, we did what we could with the combinations of band & dance floor that the ship gave us - there was a place with a good dance floor where they played 50s/60s that was fun to swing to one night, and one of the nightclubs had a DJ that played Latin tunes another night. We even ended up dancing on the carpeting in that lounge with the itty-bitty dance floor, simply because their music was so good.

Of course, our legs reminded us the next day that this was not such a good idea! :)

Oh yes, we had to move to the carpeted areas at several events. I find that most hotels have tiny dance floors that are not really suitable to standard dancing (waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, etc.), because these dances move so much.

But we will work with whatever is offered, and enjoy ourselves.

BTW, would the dancers among you recommend to bring chrome-soled shoes or will they get dirty? I find it difficult to dance in normal shoes.

We found the dance floors on Royal Caribbean quite small. We have had good experiences on Princess and Holland America. Sometimes we have the dance floor to ourselves - where is everybody else? Mind you, it sure gives you room to move around which you certainly do not get on New Year's Eve. Don't forget, musicians are people too. Chat them up. They will take requests since they much prefer to play for people who are listening and they aim to please.

Very smart move on your part. Cruising is wonderful and just think - you don't have to wait ten years before you do it again!

We have had good experiences on Princess and Holland America. Sometimes we have the dance floor to ourselves - where is everybody else? Mind you, it sure gives you room to move around which you certainly do not get on New Year's Eve.

Very true indeed. New Year's Eve balls usually make me feel like a canned sardine. But that's what I expect on such nights.

Don't forget, musicians are people too. Chat them up. They will take requests since they much prefer to play for people who are listening and they aim to please.
I would never forget that. I usually make a request (or two or three). I have never been turned down, because as you wrote, they appreciate people who are listening and paying attention. I find, that most musicians really like to play classic ballroom dance tunes.

I am quite excited about our upcoming cruise, and hope that it will be everything we envision it to be.

I bring several pairs of dance shoes on a cruise. Since several are metallic and/or glittery, I will wear them to the dining room with my formal and semi-formal wear and then to the dance floor. But don't go out on an outside deck with them on.

Another dancing couple here.

Wifey and I happen to prefer Carnival and will be hitting the dance floor in just under three weeks. We love the smooth dances too but have been ramping up our rhythm set in anticipation of crowded floors.

Hopefully we'll be able to put a few locals to shame with some hot new Salsa variations.

Happy upcoming 10th persephone!!!;)

Rep

Another dancing couple here.

Wifey and I happen to prefer Carnival and will be hitting the dance floor in just under three weeks. We love the smooth dances too but have been ramping up our rhythm set in anticipation of crowded floors.

Hopefully we'll be able to put a few locals to shame with some hot new Salsa variations.

Happy upcoming 10th persephone!!!;)

Rep

Thank you :). It seems like it was yesterday... time does fly.

to be a good fit for you. after reading your post i would stay away from nci. on a recent celebrity trans atlantic the dancer enjoyed a certain group who were assigned to a small venue with a limited dance floor. after receiving several requests this group was relocated to a location with a larger dance floor. we general stopped by for a half an hour on the way to dinner. i would not rule out holland based on what you are looking for in a cruise. will not have 1st hand knowledge of holland untill this oct. have a great 1st time cruise experience.

There are always couples dancing on the "M" class ships of Celebrity and I would think that the same will hold true on Solstice. There are obviously couples that are real ballroom dancers. We are not, though I usually get 1 dance per evening out of my DH. We do really enjoy sitting and watching those that really know how to dance. They all seem to be having such fun. Celebrity and HAL would also be your best choices for ships that truly are formal. The majority of cruises on their ships follow the requirements for formal nights. Especially if you can go longer that 7 nights. But even for their 7 night cruises the majority of passengers will dress appropriately. They have nice dance bands, the dance floors are not large, but every one seems to manage to fit.

Happy Anniversary and I wish you a GREAT cruise!:D

I love to cruise and ballroom dance, but the two usually do not go hand in hand. The dance floors are small and it does not take more than a few dancers on the floor for it to be too crowed for ballroom dancing. You will be able to do the latin or rhythm dances but there just is not room to dance either the international standard or smooth dances. We are competitive dancers but it is very important to understand where you are and not "pull out" anything that is too large or disrupts the other dancers as this is a social dance floor... I have seen this over and over again and it fustrates me when people do this.

We know this when we go on a cruise and accept it at that. We have found the Princess floors to be a bit larger and therfore more fun than the other lines. If you really however want to ballroom dance and cruise I would suggest looking into the QM2 which does have a full size ballroom floor and music to ballroom to every evening.

http://www.justcruisin-sv.com/CruiseShips/QM%20PAGE%20TWO.htm

We will sail the Queen for the second time this November, to the Caribbean. Here is a link of the picture of thier floor.

While I'm looking forward to dancing onboard Cunard's new ships, I've had a lot of fun dancing onboard RCL's Mariner and Grandeur. On Grandeur, they have a quartet playing most every night in the Centrum and while the floor is small, you can do a passable smooth, traveling dance. The main landing in the Centrum is quite nice, waltzes especially feel like something out of a movie on the marble floor, with the balconies rising above you. People tend to stop and watch when folks are dancing, too. The dance floor in the South Pacific lounge is pretty nice, although it is made of different materials put together in a design (wood, metal and marble).

Archived