Besides Tortuga who else??

airlink diva

Hello fellow cruisers!

I'm sailing on the Maasdam in October and have a question!

My parents love rum cake (so do I!!:D ), but I want to know about any other brand besides Tortuga. I'm sailing to St. Kitt's, Barbados, St. Lucia,Domica,St. Martin, St Thomas and I want to know of a local brand that's yummy!

I know there are some cruisers out there with a sweet tooth so confess and let me know!

Happy sailing!!!

That rum cake is fine but I have a home made recipe that is just awesome. Everytime I make it I get asked for the recipe. It's much better then the bought IMO.

Would love to get that from you if you're willing to share...:)

Sure, here is the recipe. I think it came from Bacardi rum originally and it's pretty easy. I hope I won't make too many typos.

Rum Cake

1 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 18 1/2oz pkg white or yellow cake mix

1 - 4 serving package vanilla instant pudding (not prepared)

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup white rum

Glaze

1/4 cup butter or margerine

2 Tablespoons water

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup white rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on on bottom of pan. Mix all cake ingredients together and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pur batter in pan over nuts. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or till done. Cool in pan for 10 min. Invert cake on rack. Prick holes in top of cake. Prepare glaze by first melting butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Bring to boil, and boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in rum. Drizzle glaze over top of cake and sides until glaze is used.

That rum cake is fine but I have a home made recipe that is just awesome. Everytime I make it I get asked for the recipe. It's much better then the bought IMO.

We find that the Tortuga rum cake is NOTHING compared to homemade............Thanks for the recipe...........

Sure, here is the recipe. I think it came from Bacardi rum originally and it's pretty easy. I hope I won't make too many typos.

Rum Cake

1 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 18 1/2oz pkg white or yellow cake mix

1 - 4 serving package vanilla instant pudding (not prepared)

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup oil

1/2 cup white rum

Glaze

1/4 cup butter or margerine

2 Tablespoons water

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup white rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on on bottom of pan. Mix all cake ingredients together and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pur batter in pan over nuts. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or till done. Cool in pan for 10 min. Invert cake on rack. Prick holes in top of cake. Prepare glaze by first melting butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Bring to boil, and boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in rum. Drizzle glaze over top of cake and sides until glaze is used.

My mother used to make this wonderful cake for us on special occasions . I can assure everyone it is beyond delicious!!! Seeing this receipe has brought back a flood of memories. Sadly Mom no longer with us,I think it's time for me to carry on the tradition. Thanks for the inspiration.

My mother used to make this wonderful cake for us on special occasions . I can assure everyone it is beyond delicious!!! Seeing this receipe has brought back a flood of memories. Sadly Mom no longer with us,I think it's time for me to carry on the tradition. Thanks for the inspiration.

What a nice story! You have warmed my heart!

Lorekauf

You're recipe sounds delicious. Think I will give it a try too :)

Thank you for sharing.

You know I do believe there is another brand of Rum Cake. I can't remember the name of it but I do remember seeing it in some of the shops on some island.

I personally love the Tortuga ones :)

The plain and the chocolate are my favorites

Just returned from a cruise to Bermuda and they had several options.

Google 'Bermuda rum cakes' and/or 'Horton's rum cakes'.

One may tour the bakery.

Cheers

Mark

YES

Thats the one.

I was just in Bermuda in April and those are the ones I saw.

Thank you :)

Archived