Disembarcation question

MICK48DC

whats to stop you leaving your cabin , dragging your cases down the hall , in the lifts and off whenever you like ??? , do you have to wait your turn if in a hurry ???

Waiting your turn leads to an orderly disembarkation. If everyone adopted your attitude there would be chaos. People who have early flights are allowed off earlier, as well as those who have booked a shore excursion prior to taking their flights. I believe suite passengers have priority disembarkation also, but then they have paid a premium for the perk.

If people follow the rules the process is usually quite efficient and painless.

Wouldn't you sooner wait your turn in the comfort of your cabin or a lounge than be jammed into crowded passageways as everyone decided the rules weren't for them?

Near the beginning of the cruise you will receive a form to fill out indicating your travel plans at the end of the cruise.

If you choose to carry off your own luggage, you will mark "self disembarkation" -- these people are the first ones off the ship. You will get a letter the last day of the cruise indicating where and when you will meet to leave the ship.

whats to stop you leaving your cabin , dragging your cases down the hall , in the lifts and off whenever you like ??? , do you have to wait your turn if in a hurry ???

On HAL you get to request your time. So, if you want to do the walk off on your own at 7:00am just request that time and you can walk right off the ship with your luggage.

Personally I prefer to have HAL carry my bags down to the port.

Waiting your turn leads to an orderly disembarkation. If everyone adopted your attitude there would be chaos. People who have early flights are allowed off earlier, as well as those who have booked a shore excursion prior to taking their flights. I believe suite passengers have priority disembarkation also, but then they have paid a premium for the perk.

If people follow the rules the process is usually quite efficient and painless.

Wouldn't you sooner wait your turn in the comfort of your cabin or a lounge than be jammed into crowded passageways as everyone decided the rules weren't for them?

I don't think this answer is correct, at least not in all my cruises with HAL. HAL asks you what time you want to disembark. They do offer the walk off option and I always see those folks walking off the ships with their luggage before anyone else (even before those with shore excursions have been organized in any lounge etc). I am also making the assumption that a pax that is concerned is also one with an earlier flight than they should have booked. They mark "self disembark" and go first.

I don't think this answer is correct, at least not in all my cruises with HAL. HAL asks you what time you want to disembark. They do offer the walk off option and I always see those folks walking off the ships with their luggage before anyone else (even before those with shore excursions have been organized in any lounge etc). I am also making the assumption that a pax that is concerned is also one with an earlier flight than they should have booked. They mark "self disembark" and go first.

Those people who have an early flight had better be able to lug their luggage off the ship themselves.

Luggage is moved into the terminal from the ship according to the color tags and time given to passengers.

Twice now we have witnessed people who did not follow the new rules and decided to get off the ship up to an hour earlier than what was marked on their paper/cards only to find that their luggage was not off the ship yet. And then the yelling at the longshoremen began -- and it isn't their fault.

What stops you is good manners, plus the ability to make the decision of when you'd like to disembark 48 hours before disembarkation anyhow so there is never a need to be rude and pushy at the last minute.

HAL has no vested interest in keeping you onboard longer than you want to be. As long as you tell them when you want to get off, they appear to be happy to oblige.

I just returned from the Volendam. Yes, you are given a form that you fill out and you can check off self-disembarkation. However, when you choose this, you are NOT GIVEN a specific time to disembark (at least we were not). You can disembark ANYTIME after the first call for disembarkation. I verified this with the desk. I had read on either CC or Trip Advisor, that you had to disembark first thing if you chose self disembarkation. However the paper you receive does not say that, and I double checked at the front desk. I was told I could leave anytime that day after the first call. Apparantly very few people choose self disembarkation, so it is not a big issue. ON our ship the first call came at 6:30 am. We disembarked at 7:30 am. It was a quick disembarkation. No lines or backups. We were very pleased!!!

Respect for others and making sure disembarkation is orderly and not huge mess inconveniencing everybody.

If you want to self disembark, request that beforehand.

On our recdent Westerdam cruises, those who chose to do the self disembarkation were told to line up at the gangway on Deck 2 at 6:30 AM. When we went to breakfast at 7 in the Pinnacle there were quite a few people already there with all their luggage. By the time we came out from breakfast it was jammed pack with well over 200 people blocking the entrance to the Pinnacle -- all the elevators and down the hallways. We had to go to the aft elevators to get back up to cabin. Even the stairwells were packed with people waiting to self disembark.

I answered as I did because I interpereted the question as asking how one could go about ignoring the embarkation time they were given and just get off on their own. If that was not what the question intended, then I sincerely apologize.

I answered as I did because I interpereted the question as asking how one could go about ignoring the embarkation time they were given and just get off on their own. If that was not what the question intended, then I sincerely apologize.

Not a problem! I think the answer to this pax is that if they choose and check off self disembark they can drag their own luggage and self off the ship very early in the morning. My guess is that they have an earlier flight than HAL's usual suggested not before noon.

I have paid a premiuim (in the Carribean anyway) to get an afternoon flight. I can't see having a relaxing vacation and then having the stress and dragging ones own luggage to try to make a 9:00am or 10:00am flight. In Rome we always get an afternoon flight after 1:00pm and enjoy our last breakfast on the ship.

Not a problem! I think the answer to this pax is that if they choose and check off self disembark they can drag their own luggage and self off the ship very early in the morning. My guess is that they have an earlier flight than HAL's usual suggested not before noon.

I have paid a premiuim (in the Carribean anyway) to get an afternoon flight. I can't see having a relaxing vacation and then having the stress and dragging ones own luggage to try to make a 9:00am or 10:00am flight. In Rome we always get an afternoon flight after 1:00pm and enjoy our last breakfast on the ship.

I certainly agree. We will be booking our flight for next summer to Copenhagen next month and will pay the deviation fee to get an afternoon flight out of there. I don't care if we arrive home in the middle of the night----at least we will start out non stressed.

thank you to the more helpful posters , I will take that as a yes then . As for the posters who assume we have no manners or respect I suggest you get some yourself .

Maybe you should rethink how you compose a question....

Archived