Bequia

curiousx

Since Bequia is a favourite port of call for McBoo and others, I thought I would pass on two pieces of news.

The first is good news - the Plantation House Hotel (aka Sunny Caribbee) is set to reopen in December after being closed for 2+ years. Click on What's New at http://www.bequia.net to get the details and pix.

The second piece of news is not so good. Apparently, in response to US security requirements for the 'War on Terrorism', a 10 foot tall, prison-style, wire fence has been erected around a very large perimeter in the port area. Barbed wire is expected to be added shortly.

The fence effectively excludes locals from many of their usual beachside boat 'haul-up' and gathering areas including the famous Almond Tree, a popular limin' spot, known also as the "Houses of Parliament".

Locals are furious and describe it as an eyesore that is blocking them from their marine heritage.

No one is sure why this is needed as the jetty area itself has had perimeter gates for the past several years.

Curiousx,

Glad to see that the Plantation House will be reopening. It is a great spot.

However the 10 ft high fence with barbed wire really distresses me.

This is a great little island and I can't see why they would need that.

What do U.S. security requirement have to do with Bequia?

I can only hope it is not true.

Anyway I will be seeing for myself on December 4th when we arrive.

Thanks for the info.

mcboo

McBoo, I had the same question. Here’s what I have found out.

Following 9/11, the US was the prime mover behind a new set of international marine and port security requirements which came into force July 1, 2004. The US now requires that any ship docking in the US be able to show that the last 10 ports it has visited were in compliance with these new standards. If they don’t, they face lengthy inspections or could even be turned away. Cruise lines and cargo ships on tight schedules won’t risk going to ports that are non-compliant. So chain link fences and security systems are going up all over the Caribbean.

There’s lots more detail, but that’s the basic story.

I am still left wondering who determined the scope of the perimeter fencing on Bequia and why it had to reach so far into the core of pretty Port Elizabeth and its beach. Perhaps you can find out. I look forward to your report.

Update - apparently the extended fencing was put in to accommodate the cruise ships whose tenders were not docking at the main jetty (oops, that would be Seabourn, Windstar and Windjammer, I guess). However, because of the local objections, the fencing is being rolled back and limited to 20 feet or so on either side of the areas where the tenders actually dock...not the whole beachfront. It seems as though common sense is prevailing. I guess we will see this type of thing throughout the Caribbean. I have seen the pix of the fencing as it is now and it is horrible...hope it will be less intrusive after the rollback. Mcboo, pls let us know !

• 3 weeks later...

We just left Bequia last week. There was no fence, and you can see the town in about 15 minutes. When you get off the tender, there will be some small boats that will take you for a tour around the Island forabout an hour. Winston is a guy that has one. The price is about $16 for 2 people. An hour taxi-open truck tour is $5.00/pp 4 person min.

The best thing you can do is catch the large ferry to St. Vincents. It leaves the dock at 9:30am and returns at 1:00pm. The trips takes 1 hour. You can also hire a motorboat at the tourist office. It is a minute or two walk to the left of the tender pier. This office is the only air conditioned bldg. on the Islind that I know of. I believe the motorboat tariff is $150. for 6 persons. The trip takes 20 min.

Kuzo1 :)

kuzo1, the fence was definitely up on October 18th (a friend send me photos). That said, I know they were trying to get it modified so one hopes that this has been successful.

Certainly St. Vincent is a wonderful place to spend a day, but for those who would like to experience a bit of Bequia, here's a suggested itinerary. A taxi tour is a good start - try to work in Park and see how the turtle farm restoration is coming, visit the pottery at Spring that has been established in the ruins of an old sugar mill, the swing chair beach bar at Friendship, the one-room whaling museum, and the fishing village of Paget farm.

Have the driver drop you off for lunch at Lower Bay beach. Have fish cakes or goatwater at Dawn's Creole or heartier fare next door at De Reef. Enjoy the snorkelling at either end of the beach.

Take a water taxi back to Port Elizabeth. Have a cold beer at the Porthole (basic and local) or the Frangipani (Lively and yachtie) or the Plantation House (European and elegant). Walk along the sea wall and the Front St and have a look at the vendor's wares. Before you know it, it will be time to leave.

Archived