Peterhof Hydrofoil

My wife and I will be in St. Petersburg next month. Since my wife is in a wheelchair, we are limited in our choice of shore excursions. Would love to do a ship excursion to Peterhof Gardens but return to town is by hydrofoil. Does anyone who has used this hydrofoil know if it is accessible. She is able to take a few steps with assistance.

My wife and I will be in St. Petersburg next month. Since my wife is in a wheelchair, we are limited in our choice of shore excursions. Would love to do a ship excursion to Peterhof Gardens but return to town is by hydrofoil. Does anyone who has used this hydrofoil know if it is accessible. She is able to take a few steps with assistance.

First, the hydrofoil is a good 10-15 minute walk from the gardens themselves. Second is that the couple of steps leading onto the hydrofoil are steep and uneven. Actually each of the berths on the dock that the hydrofoil uses were a little different but you have no control over where you board the boat. I had trouble with the steps.

Have you considered booking with a private company that will drive you to and from the Peterhof? There are a lot of advantages for you; in particular, the personal attention of your guide to your needs and your needs alone.

We visited Peterhof in early June with my slightly 'older' mother who makes use of a chair. We arranged a private trip with Denrus. We had no problems in the grounds whatsoever - the fountains were fabulous. Denrus suggested that we visit Monplaisir (Peter's summerhouse, in the gardens, by the sea) rather than the Palace itself as it is all on one level. They would not allow the chair inside - but as my mother can walk with the aid of her stick and another individual and it was all on the level this was not a problem - I was more concerned that she was going to slip on the highly polished floors in her socks!

We came back from the Peterhof on the hydrofoil having gone there by our van. As per the previous answer, there are steps down and up from the hovercraft and from memory if my Mum had not been able to get out of the chair then I think we may have had some problems getting on and off. However we did not 'force' the issue and their may have been assistance available to do so if need be.

Hope that you enjoy your trip as much as we did!

Archived