A Different Kind of Cruising

Robin7

We're just back from ten days at our favorite camping spot. Bear Lake, Utah's Caribbean, where the sky was hazy the entire time and the water a 'balmy' 63 degrees. (The lake is above 5900 feet. Brrrrrrrrrrr.)

Bear Lake was formed 28,000 years ago or so by earthquake activity. Because of the calcium carbonates in the lake, it is as close to Caribbean blue as any lake I've ever seen. I had the worst time capturing it with my camera though! Even with the hazy sky, the water in person was a beautiful aqua blue. It just didn't come out in my photos. Besides Photoshopping it, what could I have done to get the blue to be bluer???

I love our Caribbean cruises, and I never seem to get a really true blue in any of my photos. Is there a trick????

I used my Canon Digital Rebel EOS 300D.

f/9.0, 1/320 sec., ISO 100

2790215520095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

I thought the green/brown at the bottom helped with this one, but it's still not as spectacular as it is in person.

f/10, 1/320 sec., ISO 100

2237418190095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

I appreciate any ideas. Our next cruise is to New Zealand and Australia, and I want to be able to actually capture the amazing things I think we'll be seeing. Thanks!

Robin

We just have a clear filter on the front of the lens. What exactly will a polarizer do? I know my polarized sunglasses really cut the glare. Will a polarizer help with getting more true colors?

Robin

We just have a clear filter on the front of the lens. What exactly will a polarizer do? I know my polarized sunglasses really cut the glare. Will a polarizer help with getting more true colors?

Robin

A polarizer filters the glare from reflective surfaces like water and allows the color to show through. here's some examples.

Without:

medium.jpg

With:

medium.jpg

When the sun is out and the water smooth, the effect is greater:

medium.jpg

It also helps cut glare from shiny leaves, allowing the color of the plant to show up better. My personal favorite is the Hoya Warm Circular Polarizer.

Dave

Wow! That photo of the aft wake is AMAZING.

I IM-ed my hubby. We do just have a skylight filter on it. I guess we'll be getting a polarizer as soon as we can!

Thank you both.

Robin

Edited to add: And we're going to need a bigger camera bag at this rate!

Archived