Pacific Sun versus Pacific Dawn

Hi there,

We were on a family cruise in December last year (NYE) and we travelled as a family on Pacific Dawn.

Just wondering about food and cabin standards on a comparative level.

We were told by some travelling on Pacific Dawn that the Pacific Sun is a much nicer ship.

I didn't mind Pacific Dawn but I thought the food was abominable.

Having travelled on NCL's Pride of America the year before, it was arude awakening.

Being Italain-born, I found the pasta dishes bland and craved some decent sauces.

How does the Pacific Sun compare? Is the food any better? We are booked on the Pacific Sun September 27 Whitsundays cruise this year and I am bracing myself for the culinary surprises!:confused:

The food is the same.

I realise you've cruised NCL and I don't doubt that the food was better. I'm wondering though if that's how you eat all the time at home;) . I know everyone has different tastes and although I haven't cruised any other line, as I said, I don't doubt the food is better on other lines. However, for someone to think the food is disgusting must eat nothing but the best at all times. I found the food on both the Sun & the Dawn to be very nice even if it isn't 5 star.

As for comparison of the two ships, we had a great time on both. The Dawn is a nicer ship but there were areas on the Sun that I missed on the Dawn. I would cruise on either again. I'm sure you'll have a great time:) .

I doubt the food will be much different. The ships are mid-market ships and therefore the food is targetted so as to not offend anyone. I have always found it presentable and not bad but it is more hotel bistro than gourmet dining.

You will probably find the ship a fair bit older than PD (because it is) and given you are travelling during school holidays it will be very crowded so don't expect peace and quiet in the pool areas and prepare for queues in the bistro area and whilst tendering.

Hi there,

We were on a family cruise in December last year (NYE) and we travelled as a family on Pacific Dawn.

Just wondering about food and cabin standards on a comparative level.

We were told by some travelling on Pacific Dawn that the Pacific Sun is a much nicer ship.

I didn't mind Pacific Dawn but I thought the food was abominable.

Having travelled on NCL's Pride of America the year before, it was arude awakening.

Being Italain-born, I found the pasta dishes bland and craved some decent sauces.

How does the Pacific Sun compare? Is the food any better? We are booked on the Pacific Sun September 27 Whitsundays cruise this year and I am bracing myself for the culinary surprises!:confused:

Hi Fruity girl,

The food on the Pacific Sun is not spectacular, but the dining atmosphere is fantastic. Our waiter made dining the highlight of our cruise. Some meals were wonderful and some were quite average. I don't usually eat out very often, so it was all pretty special to me.

The Pacific Sun is not a five star ship and the food probably does reflect this, but the price does also. From memory I think I also thought that the pasta was very average and quite tasteless, but I am sure that they probably make it like this to appeal to the mass market.

However the sushi that they sell from the sushi bar next to the Gazebo is 5 star. Probably the best sushi I have ever eaten, not that I am a sushi expert.

The Pacific Sun is showing it's age, but the atmosphere is one of fun and I found everyone to be very happy and this always makes you feel good.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise and loads of fun. We are on the cruise before you.

Glenda

The food is the same.

I realise you've cruised NCL and I don't doubt that the food was better. I'm wondering though if that's how you eat all the time at home;) . I know everyone has different tastes and although I haven't cruised any other line, as I said, I don't doubt the food is better on other lines. However, for someone to think the food is disgusting must eat nothing but the best at all times. I found the food on both the Sun & the Dawn to be very nice even if it isn't 5 star.

As for comparison of the two ships, we had a great time on both. The Dawn is a nicer ship but there were areas on the Sun that I missed on the Dawn. I would cruise on either again. I'm sure you'll have a great time:) .

Ditto. Karmac has said everything I was going to say. :D Thanks Karen, it saved some typing. :p

We have cruised on a HAL ship (5 star), once in a verandah suite, and once in a cabin. We have also sailed in recent years on three P & O ships including the Pacific Sun (but not the Dawn). Basicly, you get what you pay for. Various aspects of a 5 star ship are better than the Pacific Sun, but the price is also much higher, although I cannot really recall that the food was that much better. It might have been. I agree with Glenda that the pasta on the Pacific Sun was disappointing.

Maybe if you are wanting a more up-market cruise you would be better looking at the Princess ships, Holland America or Cunard.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. :):)

The food is the same.

I also feel that the food is almost the same and I am agreed with karmac .

Being an ex travel writer you must know to compare apples with apples.

I see you are also booked on the Ruby Princess and Consellation both in mini suites.

I dont think you can compare the Pacific Sun to these cruises.

But as you didnt ask us to compare those I am just going to echo the others and say there isnt much difference in the Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn.

Please go with an open mind and enjoy this cruise for what it is, I am sure there will items on the menu you will enjoy, just stay clear of the pasta dishes

Thanks guys for your input.

I always go on holidays with an "open mind" and must admit that there has never been a holiday I haven't enjoyed.

I am aware that no comparisons can be drawn between some cruise lines and I booked this cruise well-knowing that it would be about the same standard as Pacific Dawn.

I appreciate all your comments and am looking forward to a big sushi

pig-out. Sounds the go!;)

As for the pasta dishes, I'll get my home-made pasta fix before cruising and that should solve everything.

Cheers and thanks again.:p :p

Thanks guys for your input.

I always go on holidays with an "open mind" and must admit that there has never been a holiday I haven't enjoyed.

I am aware that no comparisons can be drawn between some cruise lines and I booked this cruise well-knowing that it would be about the same standard as Pacific Dawn.

I appreciate all your comments and am looking forward to a big sushi

pig-out. Sounds the go!;)

As for the pasta dishes, I'll get my home-made pasta fix before cruising and that should solve everything.

Hi Fruity Girl,

You are going to have a really great time, let us know what you think of the sushi. I am the only person I know who eats it on a cruise other than my kids who also love it.:D

Glenda

If you have any leftovers can you send them my way please?;) :D . I looooove pasta:) .

Hey guys,

Glad to hear some of you love pasta. I've got my son's 11 year-old school friend over today and he has requested I make him his favourite - home-made gnocchi with a slow-cooked pork rib and beef ragu.

I'm impressed with that - he could have asked for McDonalds - God forbid!!!

Have a great day fellow cruisers!:D

Hey guys,

Glad to hear some of you love pasta. I've got my son's 11 year-old school friend over today and he has requested I make him his favourite - home-made gnocchi with a slow-cooked pork rib and beef ragu.

what time are WE expected to arrive?:D

I never make pasta as i have my own pasta maker (also known as MIL) I am married to an italian and could never beat nonna's pasta dishes

Hi Karon,

Yeh, my nonna was the best pasta maker and managed to teach me how to make lots of different types of pasta. I was actually born in Rome and came out to Australia when only 2 years old ... it's customary to teach any female descendant all you can about your own cuisine and my nonna was exceptional and reallyyyyyyy patient!

The secret ingredient to really fluffy, light gnocchi, is to use potatoes that are sprouting roots!

The older the potato the more starch and the better you can actually work the doe.

You see, I'm quite addicted to cooking and food, it's in my blood!!!

Hence my disappointment in the pasta dishes (going back to where this whole thread started). It isn't that hard to create a nice sauce - that's the frustrating part - even ready made sauces are a better option than some of the ones I tried on my last cruise - how can they get it so wrong?!

Needless to say, I shall stick to my pasta pig-out idea prior to cruising ... perhaps I can find a decent restaurant that serves a good pasta at one of the ports of call ... now you've got me thinking he! he!;) :D

As I said before, I love pasta but I only ever tried gnocchi once and didn't like it.

That's not to say I wouldn't like yours though fruitygirl.........what time's dinner did you say?;) :D

Dinner is at 6.30pm - you'll be hard-pressed getting here from NSW though.

I'll have a couple of mouthfuls for you!

Buon appetito a tutti!

By the way, my name is Rosa - what else would an Italian be called?:p :p

P.S. It could have been Maria, I suppose!!!!

By the way, my name is Rosa - what else would an Italian be called?:p :p

P.S. It could have been Maria, I suppose!!!!

Well, Rosa is a much prettier nam than Maria (sorry to any Maria's out there).

BTW, I always said I was going to marry an Italian so I could learn his mothers/grandmothers culinary talents (maybe not the right word but you know what I mean). I ended up marrying an Aussie of Irish descent and he's the plainest eater. Would never catch him eating pasta:eek:

My husband, Graham is an Aussie and believe me, he is more Italian than I am. He could eat pasta three times a day - and do you know what really gets to me? He never puts on weight!

I had a broken foot on the Pacific Dawn cruise NYE and I managed to stack on one stone (due to lack of exercise and plentiful carbs (cocktails and all) - luckily for me that the pasta dishes weren't edible!

They would have needed a crane to get me off the ship!

Cheers,

Rosa:eek: :eek:

As I said before, I love pasta but I only ever tried gnocchi once and didn't like it.

Viva la difference I guess. Gnocchi is my fave pasta. One of my favourite restaurants is an Italian one at Pokolbin. I convince Barb that the gnocchi is why we go back there for a meal once in a while (it is really for the chocolate ravioli dessert though).

chocolate ravioli..wow two of my favourite food groups in one dish...

I think maybe the reason the pasta dishes are so bad on cruises is they probably cook it hours ahead of time and reheat it or keep it warm, neither is good for pasta.

Feel sad for me because mother in law is away in Italy for three months..BUT we have trained her well and there are three dishes of her lasagne for us in her freezer waiting to be picked up.

Umm all this talk of food is making me very hungry

Hey guys,

I just know that u are going to love the Pacific Sun:D

My husband, Graham is an Aussie and believe me, he is more Italian than I am. He could eat pasta three times a day - and do you know what really gets to me? He never puts on weight!

I had a broken foot on the Pacific Dawn cruise NYE and I managed to stack on one stone (due to lack of exercise and plentiful carbs (cocktails and all) - luckily for me that the pasta dishes weren't edible!

They would have needed a crane to get me off the ship!

Cheers,

Rosa:eek: :eek:

I didn't realise there were two Pacific Dawns sailing in Australia, I'm glad i managed to get on the good one. :D

Dogboy

Archived