Can I do this?

cuterlmt

Here's what I'm thinking:

Take Amtrak to LA Union Station. We arrive around 8am something. Take a cab to Marriot Downtown, which is part of a pre-cruise package for our cruise the next day out of San Pedro harbor (Sapphire Princess). Rent a car at Marriot Downtown for the day. Next day, get our princess transfer from Marriot Downtown to the Pier.

When we get back from our fantastic cruise, take a princess transfer to Marriot Downtown. Catch a cab to LA Union Station, dump our luggage, and have fun for the day. Our train does not leave till 645pmish that day.

Can I do this? Is it possible to get a princess transfer to the Marriot downtown even if we are not staying there?

I love to prepay everything which is part of the reason for doing this. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Marriot Downtown if fairly close to the Amtrak station, so I think this just might work with a minimal cab fare to the Marriot and from the Marriot.

What do you guys think?

Any opinions about the Marriot Downtown? Will they let us check in early so I can get a shower after getting off the overnight train?

Are you stuck on the Marriot by the Train Station? We are coming in by air - but I have did a lot of research on the hotels by the San Pedro/Long Beach area - there is a really nice Marriot in Long beach that is within Walking distance to the boardwalk, apparently a really neat area with shops and resturants, some huge aquarium, and the Queen Mary. If you stayed there you would only have to grab a cab to the pier that is only 6 miles away the day of your cruise - I can't remember, we ended up booking with the Holiday inn that had a free shuttle to the port, but the Marriot may have had a shuttle as well. Also - you might look into Supper Shuttle. I think the fair from Union station to Longbeach/port is around 16 pp, if you go to retailmeknot dot com, type supper shuttle in the search engine you can get promo/coupon codes - I was able to get one for $4 off each way - bringing our total to 12 pp! Way less than a cab, and you can make reservations online with specific times you want picked up - I read on a review that they pick you up from the ship right next to the busses that the ship uses.

Hope that helps

The reason I chose the Marriot Downtown is because I've heard that they have a rental car agency (we need a rental car to do some stuff) and they have princess transfers. We actually priced the supershuttle from the train to san pedro hotel and it was $53 for ONE PERSON!

Thank you for your input though. At least I have a few months to do more research.

Are you sure it's not the LAX Marriott? I do know Princess uses that hotel, which is by the airport and not anywhere near downtown.

Okay, now for my usual caveat. Downtown LA is not really meant for tourists. Our downtown is way different than other major cities such as NY, Boston, Chicago, etc. Usually those who do stay downtown are there for a convention at the Convention Center, and I have known people who even then will stay in other parts of LA (Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc.), and go downtown just for their business and then scurry out of downtown after they are done for the day.

Parking is incredibly high so if you rent a car, any savings you may get by getting a cheap hotel rate will probably be offset by parking fees as well as gas to get around Los Angeles, as many of the sights you'll want to see in that one day will be elsewhere.

My husband has been working downtown since the late 80s (currently working at the City Hall complex) and he wouldn't recommend staying there.

If you do plan to take the train to LA, you may want to consider having ground transportation waiting for you or available at a phone call, and be taken elsewhere to stay.

Ok, I'll add a new spin on things for you ... I also take Amtrak when I travel, and I had an overnight layover in LA on my last trip. I stayed at the Miyako hotel in Little Tokyo, because it is so close to the train station - just a few blocks. It was VERY nice, and I spent my whole time there hanging out in Little Tokyo and just loving it! Not sure if there is any car rental nearby, but it may be worth looking into if you're interested. Just another option.

Another thing to look into: Renting a car at one place and dropping it off at a location by the pier ... if there are any rental places near the pier, that part I don't know.

Hertz and Budget both have rental counters right inside Union Station that would be open at 8am, too. So you could just pick up a car there.

With that said, I totally agree with the comments about downtown LA. It is purely a business center -- not much to do there except maybe Olvera Street. It may be a better idea to get a hotel in Long Beach as had been suggested. You can get through ticketed on Amtrak via their Thruway bus right to Long Beach. Then just rent a car there for the day.

It is a nicer place to stay, and you need to be there anyway.

If I pick up a car at Union Station, can I drop the car off at the pier?

All we want is a place to stay that's easy to get to from the train. There are things we want to do around LA that require a car - need to go to a cemetary, a couple of particular other places, a store. My hubby is very familiar with LA, so I'm sure he isn't worried about where we're staying....We need a car. We want to stay overnight somewhere. I really thought it was the Downtown Marriot that Princess serves, but I'll have to check on that.

I also don't want to wait for the Thruway bus to San Pedro - it's 1-1/2 hour layover IF our train is on time. We'd like to get out of the train station and be on our way to take care of our fun stuff for our day before the cruise.

Thanks for all the input.

I don't think Hertz allows one way rentals out of Union Station, not sure about Budget. Don't consider downtown where the Marriott is a bad area, just nothing there after business hours and it isn't an area for walking after business hours. Also, the nice downtown hotels tend to charge outrageously for parking. I basically agree with other posters it is probably better to get to Long Beach and make that your home base.

There is an Enterprise location out on Beverly Blvd near downtown that may pick up at Union Station. According to others on the boards, Enterprise is the only one that has a drop off location near the San Pedro pier. That way you could get the car, get out of downtown, do what you need/want to do, and then stay in San Pedro, making your cruise morning easier

I've stayed at the Marriott Downtown Los Angeles. Yes it does have a rental car agency, but the rates there are high.

It is a very nice hotel but is set up for business travelers. It is in the financial district. Parking is very high. Not sure if you have to pay for parking on a car you rent there.

This hotel has no free internet and not even a free business center for guests!

The area is nice, but not very interesting after 7pm when the shopping centers close.

Archived