Just Returned from Diamond Princess

mikedge

Just returned home from 7 night cruise on Diamond Princess from Whittier to Vancouver which was preceded by 4 night land tour in Alaska and 2 nights in Seattle. Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who offered advice and information on our cruise.

We did the 7 hour train and bus trip with Chilkoot, followed by helicopter and dogsledding on Herbert Glacier with Coastal Helicopters, followed by the Misty Fjords tour with South East Aviation. All were excellent and the dog sledding trip was brilliant because we had the helicopter and glacier all to ourselves on a beautiful day in Juneau.

Having cruised on Star Princess last year, I found the Diamond Princess very similar and the standards of service and food were very good. Unfortunately Princess did not put us on the most suitable of tables for fixed dining, so we moved round the other free seating restaurants which suited us much better.

My only complaint with Princess is that they are forever in your face either taking unwanted photos, or trying to persuade you to visit their recommended stores in the ports of call. Totally unnessary.

The Princess lodges are fairly basic but comfortable and there is some really nice food on offer in the good restaurants (especially the fish).

Seattle is a lovely city and the Sleep Inn near the airport offers some excellent value accommodation.

We had a wonderful holiday and the weather in particular was a lot better than we expected.

Hope this is useful to anyone thinking of taking the Princess Tour/Cruise.

The formal nights are 1st day (College Fjord) and 4th day (Juneau). Sorry, did not keep Princess patters, but was there anything in particular you wanted to know??? Have a great holiday!!

I'm trying to figure out which night to go to the fancy Italian restaurant for dinner and I don't want to miss lobster night. Can you remember which night that was? Was it the formal night after Juneau?

Can't remember a lobster night on the menu, but then again I am not a lobster eater!! I suggest that you ask the maitre D' when you get on the boat (nice guy!). We did Sabatinis (italian) on a previous occasion. It is an experience and well worth the extra 20 dollars each.

Can't remember a lobster night on the menu, but then again I am not a lobster eater!! I suggest that you ask the maitre D' when you get on the boat (nice guy!). We did Sabatinis (italian) on a previous occasion. It is an experience and well worth the extra 20 dollars each.

I agree with mikedge regarding Sabatini's. It was the best dining experience we have ever had on a ship and one of the best, ship or no ship dining experiences. I believe it was 6 or 7 courses, and they kept bringing out more and more great food. The appetizers were outstanding, and the service was as good as you will find anywhere. The best $20 you may ever spend.

We will be on the Diamond in early Sept. Can you comment on the dress for dinners, particularily formal nights? We're concerned with additional luggage with the extra fees from the airlines. Thanks so much!!!

Hey I'll be there next week!

Do you remember any movies they showed-- either in the cinema or on the tv?

How about the entertainment?

Is there anywhere you can swim onboard or are all the pools outdoors?

Hey I'll be there next week!

Do you remember any movies they showed-- either in the cinema or on the tv?

How about the entertainment?

Is there anywhere you can swim onboard or are all the pools outdoors?

I can answer the movie question. We were on the same ship last week. In the Explorers Lounge they showed: Juno, The Kingdom, Mad money, The Great Debaters, 27 Dresses, and The Bucket List.

I'm not much of a movie person so we didn't make it to any of these movies even though all of them were new to me. A few of the movies drew quite a crowd. We would often pass the afternoon movie while racing from one activity to another across deck 7.

We often had the tv turned to tv while we were in our stateroom. The only movie I ever noticed playing on our stateroom tv was Bee Movie. Hopefully someone else can add to the list on in room movies.

I can answer the movie question. We were on the same ship last week. In the Explorers Lounge they showed: Juno, The Kingdom, Mad money, The Great Debaters, 27 Dresses, and The Bucket List.

I'm not much of a movie person so we didn't make it to any of these movies even though all of them were new to me. A few of the movies drew quite a crowd. We would often pass the afternoon movie while racing from one activity to another across deck 7.

We often had the tv turned to tv while we were in our stateroom. The only movie I ever noticed playing on our stateroom tv was Bee Movie. Hopefully someone else can add to the list on in room movies.

Eh, I figured it would be on par with what's playing on Pay-Per-View right now -- they say "First-Run", but thats not quite right. I wondered if we would be more inclined to sit in a theatre for an Alaskan cruise since we might not be outdoors as much as a Caribbean cruise. We'll play it by ear, I suppose.

Hey Megessey-

Since you're going very shortly (yea!), when you come back can you do a quick post commenting on dress for formal nights, etc? Also, any other helpful tidbits? I'd sure appreciate it, as I'll be sailing 9/6.

Thanks and have a great time!!!

we are leaving on july 27th on the coral princess s.b. from whittier to vancouver. 1st time in alaska. our dilemma is, what do we pack?? will it be cold or warm? what do you wear during the day?? also, thanks for the input on sabatini's, will def make a res there when we get on board. we have the anytime dining. anyone know about that?? any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hey Megessey-

Since you're going very shortly (yea!), when you come back can you do a quick post commenting on dress for formal nights, etc? Also, any other helpful tidbits? I'd sure appreciate it, as I'll be sailing 9/6.

Thanks and have a great time!!!

I will definitely report back on everything i can! I can tell you up front that none of the men in our party of 21 will be wearing a tux, but I'll be watching to see the diversity in formalwear.

When you embark, there will be some waitstaff at a table outside of Sabatini's taking reservations for the entire week. They will have a looseleaf notebook with the dinner menus for the main dining rooms in it - you check to see which evening the food in the main dining room is least appealing to you and reserve accordingly. Also, the maitre'd in the main dining should have the menus for the week available, but they aren't always as eager to share as the staff posted outside of the specialty restaurants the afternoon of embarkation.

Hope this helps.

When you embark, there will be some waitstaff at a table outside of Sabatini's taking reservations for the entire week. They will have a looseleaf notebook with the dinner menus for the main dining rooms in it - you check to see which evening the food in the main dining room is least appealing to you and reserve accordingly. Also, the maitre'd in the main dining should have the menus for the week available, but they aren't always as eager to share as the staff posted outside of the specialty restaurants the afternoon of embarkation.

Hope this helps.

That helps a LOT! Thank you!

My only complaint with Princess is that they are forever in your face either taking unwanted photos, or trying to persuade you to visit their recommended stores in the ports of call. Totally unnessary.

Sorry to hear that. We were on the Golden last month (inside passage), and did not find either of the above. As a matter of fact, we were surprised that the photographers were not in our face. Oh well. I'm glad you had a good experience (or should I say great experience)! At least you say the food was good. The food on the Golden was only ho-hum. Welcome home. Enjoy your memories and photos. "Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you" (Simon & Garfunkel)

Archived