Whats your best advice...........

Mikel1733

Whats your best advice on how to approach booking an airline for a cruise this fall? Not knowing what route cuts and scheduling changes are coming makes it next to impossible to know how to approach this. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Well, if you are from a cold climate, I would book a day early, or maybe even2 days early. A few years ago we thought we were being smart and booking a day early. We ended up with our plane breaking down, and not being able to get out of the airport that day. We had to rent a car, drive 300 miles to get to a major airport. Then, we were on standby on 3 flights. We got in to FLL. just in time to take a taxi to the port. Nothing like cutting it close. Now I have been booking 2 days ahead of the cruise. You never know when it comes to bad weather.

Well, if you are from a cold climate, I would book a day early, or maybe even2 days early. A few years ago we thought we were being smart and booking a day early. We ended up with our plane breaking down, and not being able to get out of the airport that day. We had to rent a car, drive 300 miles to get to a major airport. Then, we were on standby on 3 flights. We got in to FLL. just in time to take a taxi to the port. Nothing like cutting it close. Now I have been booking 2 days ahead of the cruise. You never know when it comes to bad weather.

We are from Thunder Bay - always book a day early. This last cruise we were 20 minutes out, turned around, landed and plane cancelled. Could not get anything out that day - drove 4 hours to Duluth caught a plane with an hour to spare to Minneapolis, overnighted, flew out in the morning, landed at Miami, had to shuttle over the Fort Lauderdale and got on ship with 45 minutes to spare. We always have gone a day early but after this I think we will be looking at 2 days now. Yes, it adds the cost of a hotel for one more night but it is a whole lot better than missing the cruise. By the way our flight home was even worse, but I won't even go there.

I think just book what you can, a day or two ahead of time, and cross your fingers that the routes and schedules don't change TOO much. I don't know that there's any way to get around that possibility, plus the way fuel is sky rocketing, I'd want to lock in a price before the you-know-what hits the proverbial FAN. If the airline DOES change your itinerary to something you just cannot make, they're usually decent about switching you to another flight or giving you a full refund. That's been my experience, anyway.

I agree with going the day before.....my main concern is with entire flights being canceled or dropped from the schedule. Omaha is projected to lose many flights this fall. Do you purchase a fare now hoping it works or wait until more is known closer to the cruise date? (October19)

Whats your best advice on how to approach booking an airline for a cruise this fall? Not knowing what route cuts and scheduling changes are coming makes it next to impossible to know how to approach this. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

As it looks right now..... I would say your best bet would be with Southwest.......

We are kinda in the same situation, but we are going with plan B. Which is booking at the last minute this year. We have a few cruises in mind (which have been going down in price since Jan.) and will look for the airfare right before we book. If that doesn't work we will be doing Plan C. Leaving out of our home port:D

Guest carlogesualdo

Try to pick an airline that's still fairly flush. They're more likely to work with you if there's a problem. At least if they're going to cut flights, you should still have time to get things worked out. And frankly, if you're worried about flight cuts and want to make sure you're on a flight that isn't, I'm going to echo Kurbanfan: go with Southwest. Not only are they actually still profitable, I don't believe they're cutting routes. In fact, I think they are expanding in some markets. Maybe not Omaha, but if they've been there and been stable for a while, you can probably feel safe they're not going anywhere anytime soon, unless the airport is making murmurs about raising fees for the airlines or something like that...

If you haven't downloaded Southwest's "Ding" software, I highly recommend it, especially if you're waiting until closer to your cruise to buy your plane tickets. The fares you see there really are cheaper than anything I've ever seen on their website.

I received some very helpful advice about booking my first flight on the cruise board. In case you haven't found it, look at the bottom of this page, and there is a drop down box to change to the different boards. Look for the one named Cruise Air. You will get lots of help there. :)

I received some very helpful advice about booking my first flight on the cruise board. In case you haven't found it, look at the bottom of this page, and there is a drop down box to change to the different boards. Look for the one named Cruise Air. You will get lots of help there. :)

The op is not a first timer. I believe he concerned because of the bleak future of the airlines........

in the past we had our flight cancel d out of oakland to LA..cuz our flight

was an early flight, and SW had other flights scheduled that morning..we

were able to reschedule a couple hr s later..

no big deal..but, Hawiian Air change d our flight s for next month already..

we re planning to arrive 2 day s early to miami on our next cruise..we ve scheduled a early flight again with 2 other s scheduled out of oakland so we can hop on the next flight if we have to.

fly in a day early.

start shopping as early as possible.

watch for fare drops on tues/wed of any week.

compare best fare from travel website such as expedia with airline's own website to ensure best rate. if they're the same, book thru the airline in case you get more ff miles that way.

We are from Thunder Bay - always book a day early. This last cruise we were 20 minutes out, turned around, landed and plane cancelled. Could not get anything out that day - drove 4 hours to Duluth caught a plane with an hour to spare to Minneapolis, overnighted, flew out in the morning, landed at Miami, had to shuttle over the Fort Lauderdale and got on ship with 45 minutes to spare. We always have gone a day early but after this I think we will be looking at 2 days now. Yes, it adds the cost of a hotel for one more night but it is a whole lot better than missing the cruise. By the way our flight home was even worse, but I won't even go there.

Forgive me for going slightly off topic here...

Ah, the 4 hour drive to Duluth. Never knowing how long the line will be at Pigeon River, how many deer you'll see along the way, and if the coffee will be fresh or not at the Grand Marais Holiday! I miss those some days. (from a transplanted resident of T.Bay)

One option would be (if you plan on flying in a day or two early) At least a day early, wait and book a flight with hotwire. In case your not familiar with them, You could fly at anytime between like 6am and 10 pm on that day. Much like priceline, you wouldnt know the carrier other than it is one of their partner carriers. I would only use them if you are within the 14 to 21 day timeframe. I have booked with them when I had flexability and got the same flight I had looked at with AA for three times less. It can be hit and miss. especially now with decreased schedules which means less seats to scurry and fill by the airlines. ANd you MUST be flexible with your time frames. ONLY use if our flying at least one day early. Which in this day and time, I would do anyway. Good luck and have fun.

One option would be (if you plan on flying in a day or two early) At least a day early, wait and book a flight with hotwire. In case your not familiar with them, You could fly at anytime between like 6am and 10 pm on that day. Much like priceline, you wouldnt know the carrier other than it is one of their partner carriers. I would only use them if you are within the 14 to 21 day timeframe. I have booked with them when I had flexability and got the same flight I had looked at with AA for three times less. It can be hit and miss. especially now with decreased schedules which means less seats to scurry and fill by the airlines. ANd you MUST be flexible with your time frames. ONLY use if our flying at least one day early. Which in this day and time, I would do anyway. Good luck and have fun.

Waiting 2-3 weeks before a cruise to book airfare is bad advice in my opinion..you might be waiting on inventory to open up which may never happen.

Also you would need to arrive a day or so ahead and plan to stay a day or so after if the mystery flight times do work. That might work if you are going to spend time with Aunt Mille and Uncle Lou...not sure I would want that much ambiguity when trying to embark and disembark from a cruise.

That flight may be sold out by then.

Fred

Hot wire doesnt sell just one flight...They have a range of airlines they sell seats on, So it is almost every flight on most major airlines for that day. It is much like priceline in that you just dont know what airline you will be flying. But to each his own. It is a great site to get last minuite airfare without paying for the huge cost of booking within that 14 to 21 day time frame when the cost of a flight goes up by two to three times. If every airline has every seat filled on every flight 13 days out we are all in trouble because we know they overbook to allow for cancellations. So if you want to book a year in advance and worry if that flight will be canceled or changed and you have to rebook, go for it. Or just book 22 days out, when the airfare is still "discoutned" for early booking.

I always like to travel a day or two before the ship leaves. Because most cruises leave on a Saturday or Sunday, same day flights can sometimes be expensive since it is the weekend.

The site I use is sidestep [dot] com. They are similar to travelocity but instead of paying the fee for using travelocity, it directs you the actual airlines website. You can put it that you want to leave 1 or 2 days before and it will look for the cheapest options for you.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy your cruise!

I always like to travel a day or two before the ship leaves. Because most cruises leave on a Saturday or Sunday, same day flights can sometimes be expensive since it is the weekend.

The site I use is sidestep [dot] com. They are similar to travelocity but instead of paying the fee for using travelocity, it directs you the actual airlines website. You can put it that you want to leave 1 or 2 days before and it will look for the cheapest options for you.

Hope that helps!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks JR........I'll check it out

Archived