Top 10 best-value things to do in St Kitts

Aussiemate

A few years back I rented a bike at a bike shop. The shop is a short walk from the cruise ship pier. I have not been able to confirm that the shop is still in business or if it still rents bikes. I will be there in January and hope to rent another bike then.

Looking forward to reading more about this bike shop and other suggestions.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I rented a bike for $10 for the day including helmet and lock. Cycled around the island; every time a group from the ship on one of their shore excursions passed me they applauded. Extra costs were $ for bottled water at several stops. Fun Bikes on Cayon Street is the shop. Just west of the Cathedral. Ask at the information desk on the pier and they'll give you directions.

last year we went on a private tour with Theford Grey Tour--he was very professional, turely cared about all his "guests". the van accommodated us very comfortably.

The highlight of the day was Brimstone Fortress.[/quote

What type of tour did you do? cost? Do you have contact info for this company? Im having a hard time finding things beyond the Railway tour to do in St. Kitts.

Any and all help appreciated.

and the bike thing sounds different and fun too!

Monocacy, Sorry, I don't know -- I was there about two years ago in late October 2006. The name of the bike shop is Fun Bikes and their phone number is 862-2088 according to the guidebook I used. It's Caribbean Ports of Call: Eastern and Southern Regions by Kay Showker, 6th edition. Not sure what the prefixes are for St. Kitts.

P.S. I'm just down I-270 in Montgomery County.

last year we went on a private tour with Theford Grey Tour--he was very professional, turely cared about all his "guests". the van accommodated us very comfortably.

The highlight of the day was Brimstone Fortress.[/quote

What type of tour did you do? cost? Do you have contact info for this company? Im having a hard time finding things beyond the Railway tour to do in St. Kitts.

Any and all help appreciated.

and the bike thing sounds different and fun too!

Thenford gets my vote! :)

Thenford Grey (thenang06@yahoo.com) gave us a wonderful tour of the island when we were there in March 2007. Here is how he described his tour. (Remember this was March 2007 - I would expect the cost per person has increased since then.)

Dear Visitor,

It may very well be the only time that you set foot on St Kitts so we will be happy to help you make the most of this excursion. We make our tours a bit flexible to give us the scope needed to cater to the specific tastes and desires of our guests.

Our tour first takes one through the quaint historic city of Basseterre which has a curious mix of French and English heritage and a comely blend of old and new architectual styles. The stately Berkely Memorial in the centre of The Circus, Independence Square with its blooming Talipot Palm (a once in a life time sight), the Co-Cathedral and St. George's Anglican Church are landmarks of historic Basseterre City which was founded in 1625 by French settlers.

After the 'City Highlights', we continue westward along the scenic coastal road to the first of our three major stops, Romney Manor-Caribelle Batik which was once owned by Capt. Samuel Jefferson, the great, great, great grandfather of President Thomas Jefferson. The great house which sits amidst 25 acres of lush tropical gardens, is now a batik factory turning out multi-colored prints of exceptional beauty. A collection of exotic plants, palms and trees from all over the world engages the senses in a profound way. The Bismark Palms, Travelers Palms and the incomparable, 370-year-old African Saman Tree are symbolic of the glories of nature.

The second major stop is at the majestic Brimstone Hill fortress National Park which is perched atop a volcanic cone that is 800 feet high and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside and neighbouring islands. Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park is a World Heritage Site. (There is an $8.00 U.S. entrance fee for Brimstone Hill, all other stops are free.)

Along the way we will tell you about our interesting history and unique way of life.

We go next to Timothy Hill for panoramic views of the Frigate Bay Resort and the ethereal Southeast Peninsula. The golden sands of tranquil beaches with the cloud-capped, imposing Mount Nevis provide an awe-inspiring backdrop. Turtle Beach**, an additional option, is at the tip of the peninsula where one may interact with the green monkeys and Wilbur the famous pig or just relax, swim, snorkel, play beach volleyball, dine, etc.

If your trip is for a special occasion (birthday, honeymoon, etc.) or if you have any particular interests (birder, arborist), please let me know so that your tour may be tailored to your needs. Your age-range, home state or any other bit of information that you feel comfortable sharing will help us to provide you with an educational, fun-filled day on St. Kitts.

The tour will be conducted in new, high-roof, fully air-conditioned, 16-seater vans which have large clear windows that allow 360 degrees view and through-window photography. The van and driver will be dedicated to your full stay on the island. Choice of beach and length of stay on the beach are for you to determine.

The cost is $30.00 U.S. per person.

Please see: www.brimstonehillfortress.org

www.caribellebatikstkitts.com

** note - Turtle Beach has closed since then - if or when reopening I don't know

I would have to say Brimstone Hill Fortress would be my "must do" but every place Thenford took us was great!

Some pictures:

2064812670101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

2532003630101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see more pictures here:

http://family.webshots.com/album/558697699kFayfE?start=36

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Wow...honestly St Kitts has alot to do as the island is relatively small. HERE ARE MY SUBMISSIONS:

1) Visit Brimstone Hill Fortress

2) Try The Local Beer ( This is Carib Country)

3) Did I say Visit Brimstone Hill

4) Caribelle BATIK is also a must do....it was owned by the great grand father of Thomas Jefferson.

5) If time permits I would say you need to do the volcano hike. Its real challenge (7 hrs) though trust me.

6) The historic Black Rocks are also very unique to the island.

7) You would also need to try some of the local food (fried fish, Caribbean Season Rice, coconut dumplings etc)

8) St Kitts is not know for its beaches but the views that surround these beaches are to die for so a must do is Sir Timothy Look Out.

9) A tour of the plantations are a must do (Ottleys and Rawlins are the best)

10) Hasve the time to do all I suggested.

The best jerk ribs and chicken are at the open air paplapa bar on Frigate Bay Beach. It is called the Monkey Bar. Food is ready about 1:30PM. Great place to sit and listen to Jimmy Buffet tunes, drink cold beers and relax. Best jerk ribs I have ever had.

Tim

BBG, You bicycle around the northern half of the island -- start in Basseterre in front of the bike shop and head north. The street merges into the road that circles the northern half of the island. I had a map so I could track my progress; I don't remember if I got it at the information booth on the pier or at the bike shop. Shoulder is narrow in portions but I didn't feel unsafe. There are lots of small hills as the road hugs the coast as it drops steeply towards the ocean and sometimes heads inland a bit. You'll pass small shops where you can buy extra water every few miles. Best is when your fellow passengers on their shore excursions recognize you when they pass by in their vans and busses -- they all cheered or clapped. Have a great time.

Thanks a lot for your reply Sailandcruise. I will probably give it a go as it sounds like inexpensive and different way to see some of the island during my visit. The bike rental was from Fun Bikes (as noted on your earlier post) and I assume it was a 2-wheel bike not the ATV I have seen advertised on their tours??? I'm not sure I would be good at driving those 4-wheeler vehicles! Just wanted to make sure...

Thanks a lot for your reply Sailandcruise. I will probably give it a go as it sounds like inexpensive and different way to see some of the island during my visit. The bike rental was from Fun Bikes (as noted on your earlier post) and I assume it was a 2-wheel bike not the ATV I have seen advertised on their tours??? I'm not sure I would be good at driving those 4-wheeler vehicles! Just wanted to make sure...

It was just a regular bicycle; 10 or 12 gears -- I don't remember exactly -- 2 pedals, 2 wheels, etc.

Go into town. There is a taxi stand at the Circus. It is a short 5 minute walk from the pier. I am sure you will be able to find a taxi that will fill your needs of going to Brimestone & back without any stops with plenty of time at the Fort. Ask about the fare & agree on that & your itinerary.

For those few posters willing to "bike it"...one more question...would it be at all realistic from your experience to bike to (and visit) Romney Manor & Brimstone Fortress? I can calculate the distance @ about 10 miles one way as far as Brimstone but can only guess at condition of terrain etc. I like the idea of a scenic ride around the island but was rather hoping to be able to visit the above as well...:rolleyes:

The best jerk ribs and chicken are at the open air paplapa bar on Frigate Bay Beach. It is called the Monkey Bar. Food is ready about 1:30PM. Great place to sit and listen to Jimmy Buffet tunes, drink cold beers and relax. Best jerk ribs I have ever had.

Tim

this sounds like it's right up my alley. How was the beach itself? How much for the taxi to get there?

For those few posters willing to "bike it"...one more question...would it be at all realistic from your experience to bike to (and visit) Romney Manor & Brimstone Fortress? I can calculate the distance @ about 10 miles one way as far as Brimstone but can only guess at condition of terrain etc. I like the idea of a scenic ride around the island but was rather hoping to be able to visit the above as well...:rolleyes:

The road from Basseterre around the island had lots of ups and downs as it moved from right by the shore to a couple of hundred yards inland and back again, and as the land sloped more or less towards the sea. Depending on how much time you have in port and how long you plan to visit each of the two sites, I think you could bike to both Romney Manor and Brimstone and return the way you came. It appears to me that Brimstone is about 1/3 of the way around the circuit of the northern part of the island, so a round trip would be about 2/3 in distance.

I add my praises for Brimstone Fortress to those mentioned here, but be prepared for an ardous bike ride if you go by bike. It is a wonderful site. We splurge on a $5 audio tour guide which my DH and I were able to share by being cozy, and that gave us so much great info on the sites and history that it was worth every penny. We were there on a tour and had about 50 minutes, which was partly taken up by the video presentation, and we could easily have stayed for another hour or so.

Have fun!

In St. Kitts we took a cab to South Frigate Bay, where we easily rented beach chairs and an umbrella. Here we found the Caribbean Sea to be the calmest and the motorized motor sports prices to be the lowest of all the islands we visited. So we went banana boating for $10/per person and rented a three (3) seat waver runner for only $55 (30 minutes). My two children enjoyed sharing the wave runner and they took turns in the driver's seat while I sat in the middle.

Archived