Excursion Ideas - What am I missing or should reconsider???

TeeBuccs

Ok, trying to plan my second (and probably last trip to AK for awhile) and DH has left it completely up to me. No pressure at all...lol! We are active types who enjoy nature, wildlife, not too strenusous hiking and boating, etc. Not so much into culture and history - even though that makes us sound boring and disingenuine, perhaps.

Here is what I am thinking about for each port/city visiting. What am I overlooking or should I consider? Some of these area I have never been to before so not sure I have identified the right activities. We will be sailing August 5, 2009 - (last time it was in May) so I am not familiar with the specific timing for some of these activities as well. Thanks for your input and assistance.

Ketchikan (1st time there)

• Berring Sea Excursion - everyone raves that it is interesting
  • Float Plane - is it worth the high $ price tag? Also can bears be observed (on land) anywhere during this time of year from this area?

Juneau

• Whale watch (small boat) - understand this is the prime area for this type of activity
  • ERA Four Glacier Adventure - worth the money? Love to walk on glacier, etc.. or should we stick to merely hiking Mendenhall?

Skagway

• Helicopter Tour and/or Dog Sledding with 'chopper tour -OR-
  • Glacier Point Wilderness Safari - sounded interesting to me...but haven't heard much about it.

Sitka

• Fishing Excursion with our friend Captain Keith :)

Arrive in Whittier (1st time there)

• Can you get transportation from Whittier to Seward? Thinking of maybe Kenai Fjords cruise (if folks think worth investment). Then catch 6pm train to ANC to pick up rental car and spend the night.

Homer (2 nights; 1st time there)

• One day Hallo Bay bear viewing excursion - sounds like these guys know the bear stuff better than anyone..???
  • One day Halibut fishing excursion (not sure what company is good yet...)

Anchorage - home base - spend night and fly out of here. Hit Sat. Market and Chilkot Charlies - Homewood Suites recommended ???

Thanks AK EXPERTS!!!!

Arrive in Whittier (1st time there)

• Can you get transportation from Whittier to Seward? Thinking of maybe Kenai Fjords cruise (if folks think worth investment). Then catch 6pm train to ANC to pick up rental car and spend the night.

Thanks AK EXPERTS!!!!

Any help on tihs would be appreciated. When we arrive in Whittier should be do a PWS cruise and then how do we get to ANC or Seward to get rental and overnight one evening before heading to Homer?

We are sailing the last week of August from Vancouver to Whittier. We are getting off the cruise ship early and taking a taxi from Whittier to Seward and then taking the Kenai Fjords tour and then the train to Anchorage that evening at 6 pm. The taxi is costing us $250 but I advertised on my roll call and got another couple to go with us and split the cost. We are going with PJ's Taxi. Renee at PJ's told me you could fit 6 people but would be very tight with luggage. I didn't want to miss the Kenai Fjords tour and I have read on these boards that the train trip from Seward to Anchorage is beautiful. I have never been so I am sure there are people out there who know more about this than I do and can make some great suggestions. I have read it is very expensive to rent a car in Whittier.

We did the ERA glacier flight with dogsledding at Juneau and our pilot was very good at both flying and pointing out the sights.

Dogsledding on the snow and ice was so much fun as we were able to have 2 people riding per sled and one person being the extra "driver" (you get to brake when the musher tells you to). We went about 2-3 miles and stopped several times for the dogs to rest and to trade positions so everyone could drive the trailing sled if you wanted to.

We were able to both whale watch and do dog sledding on the glacier in Juneau (Long port time in Juneau for us). We did the dog sledding with Coastal. You don't want to miss doing this in some port!! One of my all time favorites!

http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/

In Skagway, you might want to consider the rail. The Chilkoot tours are really good. You say you are not into history, but the scenery is really great and I loved hearing info about the gold rush as we rolled along on the train. Here is a link for Chilkoot. We did the Yukon tour and went by rail first, then on a small bus. We were lucky enough to see bears. The driver had no problem with us stopping for pictures anywhere we wanted.

http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/yukonrail.htm

Hi just went to Alaska July 13 - 20! Misty Fjords flight tour is worth more than it costs! WOW, absolutely awesome. We had been recommended to use Island Wings, it's one of the only tours that makes a stop on the way and you exit the plane, walk around take photos and get back on the plane. The pilot Michelle was fantastic, I can't say enough good things. The photos from this trip and especially from the stopover look fake because they are so beautiful. Out of our 13 days in Alaska these were the most fantastic photos. Did not see bears on this portion of the trip1

I'm sorry, meant to put this on my last post. Re Skagway, I had found Frontier Excursions on Cruise Critic. I booked the 6 hour (which turned into 7 and we had time) Yukon 4 x 4 luxury SUV excursion. This was phenomenal. The tour guide "Dave" owner of the company is absolutely wonderful. You need your passport and you will go to Carcross a Canadian town! We saw 5 bears, amazing, amazing. I would say this is the most unique Skagway trip. You go along the same area as the White Pass RR but you get to stop at lookouts and if you see bears you stop and photograph. You go offroads that nobody travels (we saw a bear and cubs). Emerald Lake, Carcross desert! I can't say enough! Money very well spent!

Just returned from our fourth trip to Alaska -- TeeBuccs - Re: your choices -- Ketchikan - Definitely do the Bering Sea excursion. Juneau - Book now for Harv and Marv whale watch - small boat and great trip. Dress warmly! Skagway - I thought the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari was much better than the train trip. Homer -- Gosh, I could spend a week in Homer and not see and do everything. There are halibut charters up and down the spit. If you have the time, do a half or full day kayak tour past Gull Island. These otters are all over the bay:

IMG_0372.jpg.6845d5802fec2979fc0f73d86ba5e2bd.jpg

Archived