Size does matter!

My wife and I are looking into Thomson. We usually get inside cabins but are a bit concerned that they can be anywhere from 111 sq ft to 166 sq ft; How can you pick your cabin? Do you have to call, I can't find anywhere on the website to do that. Is it sq ft or sq mtrs, sq mtrs is a bit better but still...166 sq mtrs (thats huge!)

If anyone can help it would be appreciated

thanks,

Andy

I too was surprised by the disparity of cabin sizes within the same category on Thomson's ships. I suppose the safest way round this is to ring the customer services, ask advice and pay your £35 reservation fee for a specific cabin that has the best size for you ........

I would guess that the ship you are looking at is the Thomson Destiny as the 111 to 166 figures are mentioned in the brochure. They are square feet and after looking at the deck plans it seems that almost all the cabins, both inside and outside, are the same size except 4 outsides on deck 6 which appear to be approx 50% bigger. This matches the 50% difference mentioned in the brochure. I have never cruised on the Destiny so of course might be wrong. To book a specific cabin you telephone Thomsons (number in the brochure). When I tried this I was told that as I had booked through a travel agent they had to do the phoning!. The young lady at least told me which cabins were still available. I decided not to bother and save the 35 pounds reservation fee.

Apparently the cabins on the Destiny are smaller than the other Thomson ships, the Celebration and Spirit have sizes ranging from 144 to 177 square feet. There are only a few cabin categories available with no distinction between forward, aft or midship, perhaps this reflects the lines budget market orientation. On the Destiny, deck 4, 5 and 6 look good, well away from the engines.

Hi Janan :)

Have been on the Destiny twice now and booked again for the Caribbean in March next year on this ship. As previously stated the cabins on the Destiny are smaller than the other Thomson ships. We have always booked a Deck 5 outside cabin and paid the £35 to pick our specific cabin.

It's difficult to say whether you would find the cabins too small as it depends on what you are used to and what you expect. We are of the opinion that we only shower, change and sleep in the cabin so it's never been a problem for us.

All I can say is the cabins may be smaller but the ship itself is brilliant. There is nothing I could fault. The staff can't do enough for you, the food is plentiful and very nice (too nice sometimes), the swimming pools are a decent size and there are always plenty of sunbeds. The itineries are very varied with some lovely ports of call. Entertainment is great and varied - something for everyone.

If you can forget about the size of the cabin, give Thomson a go - I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you read some of the other threads on the forum you will find plenty of good reports.

Smiffy1951

Janet

Paying £35 to pick your cabin and expecting the customer services to be able to tell you which are the bigger ones will be a waste of time. Been there, done that. They had NO idea which, from the same style, were biggest.

The woman just told us we'd have to try and guage it ourselves from the deck plans in the brochure or the website and to stay away from the 'pointy ends' which would definitely be smaller.

Can't see any point in advertising the cabin size variation in the first place if they don't know which is which when you book.

The woman just told us we'd have to try and guage it ourselves from the deck plans in the brochure or the website and to stay away from the 'pointy ends' which would definitely be smaller.

:D :D ROFLAMO!!!!!:D :D

That quote made my day....Thanks to all who responded.....what about a TA do they treat them differently than say ME? Will they contract with a TA from the US?

Andy[/left]

Not sure how they would deal with a TA in the USA but anyway according to your reply in another thread you have a year or so to sort things out!

Thomsons may have another ship in 2010 as they are seeking more contemporary tonnage and are retiring the Emerald at the end of this season. As they charter some of their ships from Louis Cruise lines it might be significant that Louis have bought the Norwegian Dream and Majesty from NCL.

I've been on the Dream before not the Majesty, We didn't care for NCL.....from what I've read and heard (through this and other threads) about Thomson they surpass NCL in Service and proffesionalism!

Thanks,

Andy

Archived