Westerdam a floating "Sizzler Restaurant"

TomXXX

I once had a wine "expert" tell me that there's only two kinds of wine: the kind you like and the kind you don't like. :D

I am a "cheap drunk" and proud of it *LOL*

I worked in bars for years and had it all, all the shots, mixed drinks, Cristal , Dom Perignom , single malt scotches and cognacs that went for $25-40 a glass. All the way down to Mad Dog, Nioght train, and Ripple *LOL*

What I really love is a nice cold Budweiser. No lime (who the hells idea was that?) no honey wheat, cherry stout. blah blah blah.

Wine... with a nice Italian meal I love good old "Guinea Red" *LOL* A nice Chianti (The Hannibal Lector in me :)) Carlo Rossi Paisano, and Fortissimo (Both come in gallon bottles.

The best wine I enjoy is the homemade red the elderly Portugese gentleman my mom goes to seniors with makes himself. He brings it to me in a 2 liter soda bottle *LOL*

Drink what you enjoy, i'll drink what I enjoy. We'll both get just as drunk together and have a good time :)

You are comparing Pinnacle to $75 or $100 dinners, add the value of the already paid for dinner and auto tip, and is it worth the hassle?:confused: Remember the onboard charge and suggestedtip.

Back when....Ponderosa used to be my favorite restaurant. They had a fabulous salad bar and I routinely ordered the " chopped steak" and teeny-tiny baked potato. All in, it was not a bad dinner.

Oh no not at all

For what it is , it is a nice meal.

I would just like to post a "thank you" to all of the CC-ers who wrote on this thread.

I started reading it thinking that it would be a thread where people just complain about food.....

But after reading through it, it's really just about steak restaurants and that makes me smile :)

Also loved the Sizzler jokes at the beginning of the thread. After a day of work, it's nice to get a little giggle from an amusing thread.

For the record, I like Texas Steakhouse. I don't eat a lot of steak, but whenever I do it's always filet mignon and it's usually good.

The only time I've had a bad one was because it was nearly raw on the inside (not from Texas Steakhouse)...it was my wedding anniversary and so of course the company (and not the food) was the important thing that night.

I would just like to post a "thank you" to all of the CC-ers who wrote on this thread.

I started reading it thinking that it would be a thread where people just complain about food.....

But after reading through it, it's really just about steak restaurants and that makes me smile :)

Also loved the Sizzler jokes at the beginning of the thread. After a day of work, it's nice to get a little giggle from an amusing thread.

For the record, I like Texas Steakhouse. I don't eat a lot of steak, but whenever I do it's always filet mignon and it's usually good.

The only time I've had a bad one was because it was nearly raw on the inside (not from Texas Steakhouse)...it was my wedding anniversary and so of course the company (and not the food) was the important thing that night.

Do you mean Texas Roadhouse (might be what they call them here) The places where they give you all the peanuts *LOL*

They have excellent steaks :) Not the classiest ambience in the world, but the food is very very good.

Babyher,

I haven't thought about (or drank) Ripple in years!!! It was a college staple back in the day. That and Boone's Farm. Talk about your cheap drunks!:eek: Then I started to date a really classy fellow (he was a senior) and moved up to Southern Comfort.:D It's a wonder I got any studying done at all! Now I'm a martini girl but a cold Bud still tastes good on a hot summer day.

Babyher,

I haven't thought about (or drank) Ripple in years!!! It was a college staple back in the day. That and Boone's Farm. Talk about your cheap drunks!:eek: Then I started to date a really classy fellow (he was a senior) and moved up to Southern Comfort.:D It's a wonder I got any studying done at all! Now I'm a martini girl but a cold Bud still tastes good on a hot summer day.

*LOL*

Who could afford the good stuff back then ?

Do you remember Tango. Already mixed screwdrivers and tequila sunrises in a bottle?

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmemories like the corners of my mind *LOL* :)

Same here, and I just don't enjoy my meals at the Olive Garden. Yet, on the other hand, dad loves them. So, at least occasionally, I get stuck going.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree with you. I just love olive garden. It's my favorite.( Next to chinese food:) ). Yet my son in laws toally hates their food. I think cruise food is great because their are so many choice's. As I like to say, our tastebuds as people are quite different.I just think that some people expect far too much from a cruise and the truth is nothing at all can be perfect. Who cares if the steak is tough !!!! My goodness order something else its a cruise.:)

Then again, Jordan Marsh and Filenes (among others) are also gone. :(

/quote]

There is a Filenes right on Newbury Street in Back Bay Boston. In fact, I found something there for my upcoming cruise.

I agree with you. I just love olive garden. It's my favorite.( Next to chinese food:) ). Yet my son in laws toally hates their food. I think cruise food is great because their are so many choice's. As I like to say, our tastebuds as people are quite different.I just think that some people expect far too much from a cruise and the truth is nothing at all can be perfect. Who cares if the steak is tough !!!! My goodness order something else its a cruise.:)

My Admin (who lives in Texas) loves Olive Garden. I get her a gift certificate for Olive Garden every year and she always seems so excited.

We have Longhorn's here ... but for some reason, the couple of times I ate there, I didn't enjoy them. The steaks were too greasy.

Ponderosa, yes. I used to love them too. They're gone from around here as well. Only the Longhorn's are left ... and then some smaller steakhouses that may be individually owned, rather than a chain ... like a place called "Roadside" or something like that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We thought our favorite was Ruth Chris. My fathers goes once a month in Baltimore.

In any event, last time the steak was so greasy DH did not feel well afterwards. We had a better steak the following night at Mortons. So, I'm not sure of our favorite. We always liked Capital Grille, but the other two keep having specials.

Best of all is The Oak Room at the Copley Fairmount. Definitely not a chain and definitely very pricey. :D

Try to get a reservation for lunch during restaurant week. The salad, steak and dessert is $20.08.

Funny you say that. Boston waited a long time to get a Ruth's Chris and finally they are here but food is inconsistent. We prefer Morton's, The Palm, Smith and Wolensky (sp?), Capital Grille......

Best of all is The Oak Room at the Copley Fairmount. Definitely not a chain and definitely very pricey. :D

We have had dinners in Pinnacle which were equally good as any of those places and better than some. Pinnacles steaks when really good are just as good as Capital Grille (dinner there runs about $75 - $100 pp when we have commensurate liquor/wine in Pinnacle), as good and better than The Palm ($75 pp roughly for same number of courses/drink/wine). Pinnacle is an excellent value for a wonderful meal.

My DH wanted me to respond from him as he is a Chef. Ok, the Pinnacle Grille is superior to the Palm. He does not think much of the Palm restaurant to compare it to any of the above. BTW, neither do I.

He feels that Capital Grille is superior to Pinnacle. Capital Grille is the only one with the dry aged steaks. He agrees that Ruth Chris (Wet aged steak) is not consistent. Some of them are privately owned/franchised. Not sure if that makes a difference. Morton's has been consistently good. Their prices may be the highest, but we have been multiple times over the past year since they keep sending those coupons for $99.00 for two (which can be used over and over) with the surf and turf, Filet, crab cakes, salad, 2 sides, and 2 desserts (chocolate cake or key lime pie). The Oak Room is beautiful and food is consistent.

*LOL*

Who could afford the good stuff back then ?

Do you remember Tango. Already mixed screwdrivers and tequila sunrises in a bottle?

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmemories like the corners of my mind *LOL* :)

Sounds like you have cobwebs in the corners.:D

Yes, you're being naive. I won't name names, but I know for a fact that it has happened at least a few times. Once very recently, in fact.

Yes, I've noticed that you don't pull any punches! :D:D :D

I'd rather be considered contentious, but as someone who speaks her mind. It's just the way I am. I couldn't be bothered with all that underhanded ... use a different logon crap.

If someone doesn't like what I have to say under my own logon, well, they can always choose not to read my posts. Believe me, I'll understand and won't take offense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That sounds like some of those homestyle buffet restaurants they used to have. There was one 10 minutes from us, we never went but last I was in the strip mall where they were located, it was closed.

Old Country Buffet?

My dad likes them. I can't stand them.

That's one of the few places that I WON'T go with him. He wants to go there, he's got to go either by himself or with one of his senior friends. As a matter of fact, he's going next week.

I feel sick in my stomach everytime I eat there ... just something about the food.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Not too long ago one of the guys at work and I were talking about all the old now defunct restaurants and stores and what not in the area. Both chains and local places. Man after a while we started feeling really old *LOL*
Remember Horn & Hardart? We had one not far from our house that was actually a restaurant-style one, as opposed to cafeteria-style. I remember enjoying many a good meal there when I was a teenager.

You're right ... this makes me feel very, very old. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Then again, Jordan Marsh and Filenes (among others) are also gone. :(

/quote]

There is a Filenes right on Newbury Street in Back Bay Boston. In fact, I found something there for my upcoming cruise.

Jade.....

That is Filene's Basement. They are NOT the same company.

Filene's closed about 2 or so years ago. GONE!

Filene's Basement are located all over the place.

Old Country Buffet?

My dad likes them. I can't stand them.

That's one of the few places that I WON'T go with him. He wants to go there, he's got to go either by himself or with one of his senior friends. As a matter of fact, he's going next week.

I feel sick in my stomach everytime I eat there ... just something about the food.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes.....that is the name of the place that closed. We never went through the door.

My DH wanted me to respond from him as he is a Chef. Ok, the Pinnacle Grille is superior to the Palm. He does not think much of the Palm restaurant to compare it to any of the above. BTW, neither do I.

He feels that Capital Grille is superior to Pinnacle. Capital Grille is the only one with the dry aged steaks. He agrees that Ruth Chris (Wet aged steak) is not consistent. Some of them are privately owned/franchised. Not sure if that makes a difference. Morton's has been consistently good. Their prices may be the highest, but we have been multiple times over the past year since they keep sending those coupons for $99.00 for two (which can be used over and over) with the surf and turf, Filet, crab cakes, salad, 2 sides, and 2 desserts (chocolate cake or key lime pie). The Oak Room is beautiful and food is consistent.

Of course, being a Chef, it is still just his opinion but for the most part I agree with him.

Morton's is so loud....too loud. We agree the food is very good but unless we get one of the booths just inside the door on the right, it is hard to enjoy a conversation.

I eat very little beef so most of this converation isn't even about food that I eat. I'll have a filet now and then but not often.

Of course, being a Chef, it is still just his opinion but for the most part I agree with him.

Morton's is so loud....too loud. We agree the food is very good but unless we get one of the booths just inside the door on the right, it is hard to enjoy a conversation.

I eat very little beef so most of this converation isn't even about food that I eat. I'll have a filet now and then but not often.

For what it cost DH and I on our last dinner at Peter Luger's, you could feed a family of 10 with change :eek:at Sizzler

I guess it's just that I'm different than a lot of people. Fine dining was never a high priority with me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'll eat any crap that's put in front of me, but I can't see going out to a restaurant where the bill for two is going to come to like $200 bucks.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself cheap. I'll drop a bundle for certain things ... I think I spent close to two grand for shore excursions on my upcoming Hawaii/South Pacific cruise this September. Some of them are very, very pricey. But to spend $200 bucks for a meal is just not a way I want to spend my money. Sizzler was fine ... any restaurant that serves food that taste good and is prepared well is fine to me. Yet I have a good friend who really enjoys sampling some of the finer restaurants in center city Philadelphia ... restaurants where he has routinely spent $300 or so for dinner for him and his wife, and I don't even think they get wine because he can't drink alcohol due to some heavy duty medications he is on.

I guess it's each to his own, and that's why I liked the places like Sizzler and Ponderosa ... they were always a good tasting meal that I could enjoy in an environment where I didn't have to dress up, and the people there were friendly and unpretentious.

But, hey ... for those like my friend who likes the finer places, that's great too. Just like onboard ship, there is something out there for everyone.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived