Thermal Baths - Budapest

nyfeds

We did the Gellert Baths (on the Buda side) about four years ago. The building is beautiful and the outdoor pools are clean and great fun. The interior pools do not appear as clean but that may be a function of odor coming off the old wet stone work.

Upon admission you are directed to a changing area which is co-ed. Then you are give access to a small cubicle where you can change into a swim suit and leave your personal belongings. As attendant locks the room for you and you must see the attendant to get back in. Keep an eye on your towel; one one person in our group had it taken and he had to pay for the replacement.

Over all it was a great experience and part of visiting that beautiful city.

Don

Check out: http://www.gellertbath.com

We were in Budapest five years ago and went to the Szechenyl baths in the Varosliget (which is the city park) on the Pest side. It was great fun. There is a huge whirlpool, a large cool pool, and numerous small pools of various temperatures and types. There are changing rooms and, if I remember right, each one had a key that you kept until you finished. The charge for using the spas was by the hour and very reasonable. The park also was nice to walk around and has a small museum in a building that looks like a castle on a pond and there is also a zoo. Very nice place to spend a few hours. It was a short walk from a metro station so easy to access.

Has anyone gone to the thermal baths in Budapest?

We enjoyed the Szechenyi thermal baths before our second cruise out of Budapest last October after which I posted a review. I guess the search function still doesn't work on Cruise Critic - I will continue my response to you on that thread which will bring it up to the current page so you can find it easily. Read my post on this at "Amadeus Black Sea - Budapest -> Istanbul"

WIT

Having posted on CC (Regent boards) for several years, I'm am quite familiar with the "search" function. Rather than read through trip reports, I just wanted replies pertaining specifically to thermal baths in Budapest.

However, for those who are unfamiliar with the "search" function, I'm sure your suggestion was quite helpful. Thanks, anyway, Wit

My wife and I were there. We liked it so much better than Gellert. Gellert draws many many tourists. The natives go mostly to Szechenyi I thnk. Steam room, hot and very hot pools. Massage and chess while standing in a pool !!! Great fun and not very expensive. You buy a full day pass and get a refund based upon how long you stay !!! Can get there on the subway as I remember.

Archived