Summit Review 6/28

tripmomtf

Hi All,

Like Brazilgirl, I will post my review in installments. Too much to get into one session for me.

We are from San Francisco Bay Area. I was traveling with my Mom, DH, DD (14), DS (12). We choose this trip for the itinerary. We are not frequent cruisers, but have done 2 before, not Celebrity.

Ship - We thought the ship was beautiful. Public areas especially were very pretty. Revelations lounge does need a remodel. Could be so pretty.

Dining Room- Personally, I was dreading the formality of the dining room. As Californians, we are pretty informal. I was wrong! We all loved the dining room, even the kids. We followed the dress code happily. I thought the vast majority of those in the dining room also followed the dress code. After a long day at port, it was a pleasure to clean up and be served in the DR. We thought the food was delicious! After a previous Princess Cruise, I was hoping for better food, and I was not disappointed. We had plenty of steak, prime rib, rack of lamb, lobster, salads, soups and delicious deserts. I only sent back 1 dish from the first night (soggy veal). New steak entree appeared within minutes. Servers were excellent.

Seating- we had choosen late seating, but there was a change to my paperwork which I had missed. We elected to stick with the early seating which was better for us! We arrived around 6:30 and were always done in plenty of time for the 8:45 late seating arrivals. Waiting until 8:45 would have been too late for us.

Aqua Spa Cafe - loved this option. Perfect for breakfast for us, and some lunches. Also kids loved the hamburgers and fries at the pool.

Staterooms- traveling with 3 generations meant we needed 3 rooms. we had balcony staterooms. Bathrooms were clean and well kept. Our rooms were in need of new carpet and new bedspreads. Some rooms have been updated to date, but not all. New carpet, spreads and drapes could make a huge difference IMO. Stateroom attendant was wonderful.

Ports - WOW, so much to see and do, which was exactly why we choose this trip. DH and DS had never been to Europe. This was a crash course, and just what we wanted. We did not do any ship excursions, we did some ports on our own (Barcelona, Dubrovnik, Santorini,Capri) and hired private drivers in others (Villefrance,Rome,Florence,Athens).

Barcelona- we spent 2 days pre cruise. We stayed at the Condes de Barcelona using American Airlines points. This was a wonderful, very nice hotel with great breakfast included in the price. We had balcony rooms overlooking the street. It's an upscale area close to the Majestic Hotel.

I would highly recommend all the tour companies I used. Details to follow.

Villefranche- Dream Tours- Jean Marc

Florence and Rome - Rome In Limo (Fabrizio and Duman)

Athens- Spiros Taxi

Thank you to all the posters who helped me plan our trip. If you have questions let me know.

ATMs- I had read so many posting regarding ATM use in Europe. We had no problems at all. In advance we advised our bank of the countries we would be visiting and used ATMs as needed. Ask your bank to increase your daily withdraw limit.

Thank you SO much for the wonderful review! We are going to be on the Summit on the 22nd of this month and can't wait!

We too are staying at the Condes de Barcelona and wondered what else you might be able to tell us about the hotel. We have not seen many reviews about this hotel. For instance, how far is it from Las Ramblas? Is it truly near the Gaudi house? Was the hotel staff welcoming? The rooms, were they clean and what size?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the pre-cruise stay in Barcelona is the missing link in our research! Oh - did you try any fun restaurants?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Can't wait to read more of your review!!!

Thank you SO much for the wonderful review! We are going to be on the Summit on the 22nd of this month and can't wait!

We too are staying at the Condes de Barcelona and wondered what else you might be able to tell us about the hotel. We have not seen many reviews about this hotel. For instance, how far is it from Las Ramblas? Is it truly near the Gaudi house? Was the hotel staff welcoming? The rooms, were they clean and what size?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the pre-cruise stay in Barcelona is the missing link in our research! Oh - did you try any fun restaurants?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Can't wait to read more of your review!!!

The hotel is less than a 5 minute taxi ride to Las Ramblas. Walkable for most, but not for us with my Mom. The rooms were very clean, and decent size for Europe. Most of the hotel staff was welcoming. My mom speaks fluent spanish, and that helped. If you don't speak Spanish, your room key will be helpful when using a taxi to get back to the hotel. Most taxi drivers didn't speak English. The hotel is very near the Gaudi house. There are also fun shops on that street. Some affordable, and some not.

There are 2 sides to the hotel. Directly across the corner from eachother. One is the original, more traditional style hotel. The other is newer with more modern design. We stayed in the original section, which I loved. I had communicated via email with them prior to arrival regarding a roll away for my son. We loved having a street balcony. Not to noisy, but very fun to see the action, and get the feel of the city at night.

Restaurants- I would definitely try to eat at La Boqueria for lunch. They have counter service and the food looked great and so fresh. La Boqueria is right off Las Ramblas at the Dunkin Donuts corner. For dinner, I would try the neighborhood close to the hotel for a more authentic experience. Ask at the front desk, the street that runs parallel to the hotel had lots of typical cafes. Las Ramblas is pretty crazy full with tourists.

Hop On/Hop off bus- This didn't work great for us. 20Euro each. The lines were long after we visited La Sagrada Familia. We ended up grabbing a cab to get back downtown. With full crowds, the lines to get back on the bus get pretty crazy, and hot!

Ship- If you rely on your hairdryer, bring your own! We affectionately referred to the hair dryer as the vacuum! :eek: If you care, bring your own shampoo and conditioner.

More to follow...

Tripmom,

Thanks for your review so far. We chose this cruise for the intinerary and now are a bit nervous we'll be so exhausted! Im so glad you have good things to say about your private tours. We are using Dreamtours, romeinlimo, and spiros as well as another company(romecabs) for rome. Did you go to cape sounion while in Athens? Im anxious to read about your days with them and if there are things that youd do differently.

Would you also remember which nights were formal in the dining room? We leave next saturday for our 7/22 cruise and are very excited.

Thanks,

Nora

Tripmom,

Thanks for your review so far. We chose this cruise for the intinerary and now are a bit nervous we'll be so exhausted! Im so glad you have good things to say about your private tours. We are using Dreamtours, romeinlimo, and spiros as well as another company(romecabs) for rome. Did you go to cape sounion while in Athens? Im anxious to read about your days with them and if there are things that youd do differently.

Would you also remember which nights were formal in the dining room? We leave next saturday for our 7/22 cruise and are very excited.

Thanks,

Nora

We didn't go to Cape Sounion in Athens. Actually, while on the ship, we had heard that the heat in Athens was going to be extreme. We were also getting a bit tired by then. I emailed Spiros and asked to change our day to a 1/2 day tour. No problem, and with a reduced fee I was relieved. It was the right decision for us. My main intent in Athens was to see the Acropolis. We were there early, It was still extrememely hot. We saw the changing of the guards and various sights. It was a Sunday, and many things were closed and traffic was light (unusual. We ended at the Plaaka for shopping and lunch. Returned to the ship 1-2 pm and were ready for a swim. Good decision for us.

While the itinerary is busy, you will welcome the sea days. No wake up calls and free time for everyone. I think the first 2 formal nights were on the sea days, and the last was the night of Dubrovnik.

Private tours- Don't be afraid to voice your hopes for the day. After a long day in Florence, we realized in Rome we needed a mix of culture and fun and told our driver right away. My DD wanted to shop and he found her the perfect street for her age and budget. DH and DS wanted to see the Ferrari store and he dropped us curbside. We hit the highlights including the Vatican, but mixed it up with fun things too. These drivers are experts at the sights and getting around the city. We found if they could do it, they would.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info about Barcelona and the hotel! One last question, did you happen to communicate with the hotel prior to arriving regarding which part of the hotel you wanted to stay in? (Old vs. new)

I would love to stay in the original hotel as well, it sounds lovely!

I can tell that this is going to be a very busy cruise. I am thinking we will need a vacation from our vacation!:)

Thanks for the input. Couple more questions for you if you dont mind.

1. In Athens, how close to the Acropolis were you dropped off by Spiros?

Im starting to panic about the heat and while we are able bodied, "hot" is a relative term as is "not far".

2. In Villefranche, Alain from Dream Tours has said for us to get on the first tenders, but i have read they are for those passengers who are taking ship excursions. What was your experience? I am a founder member in the captains club and we are in conceirge cabins....which im hoping may help in priority tenders. Alain has not said who we have yet for a driver.

3. How was tendering in each of the tender ports? I have never tendered and am not partial to small boats nor the entering or exiting of said boats.

4. Passengers? What would you say the ratio of americans to europeans etc was onboard?

5. And i have to ask.....how are the chair hogs. I find this subject hilarious so im curious about the issue on this cruise. They were out in full force when we went to the carib and as bold and brash as ever. With this being a port intensive trip, im thinking that people will be too tired to get up at 7 am on a sea day and set up camp by the pool. Am i wrong?

Thats all for now. Ive planned and planned and planned and now its just packing and getting all the paperwork together.

Thanks so much for your info.

Nora

I am on the 27th August from Venice trip. I was last on Summit when she was a brand new ship.

I have read various reports of the Ship's condition but I am not overly concerned about it.

I have taken this same itinerary twice before and visited all the Ports also in varying order on other Ships.

My favourite Ports are Venice Dubrovnik and Santorini and I was happy to book this cruise to revisit.

Yes it can be very hot but we will be nearer to September so hopefully may be a little cooler.

Many thanks for your review.

Sue

Thanks so much for the info about Barcelona and the hotel! One last question, did you happen to communicate with the hotel prior to arriving regarding which part of the hotel you wanted to stay in? (Old vs. new)

I would love to stay in the original hotel as well, it sounds lovely!

I can tell that this is going to be a very busy cruise. I am thinking we will need a vacation from our vacation!:)

No, I didn't request the original section. I think you could email your requests. I did email about the rollaway in English, and got prompt replies in English.

Thanks for the input. Couple more questions for you if you dont mind.

1. In Athens, how close to the Acropolis were you dropped off by Spiros?

Im starting to panic about the heat and while we are able bodied, "hot" is a relative term as is "not far".

2. In Villefranche, Alain from Dream Tours has said for us to get on the first tenders, but i have read they are for those passengers who are taking ship excursions. What was your experience? I am a founder member in the captains club and we are in conceirge cabins....which im hoping may help in priority tenders. Alain has not said who we have yet for a driver.

3. How was tendering in each of the tender ports? I have never tendered and am not partial to small boats nor the entering or exiting of said boats.

4. Passengers? What would you say the ratio of americans to europeans etc was onboard?

5. And i have to ask.....how are the chair hogs. I find this subject hilarious so im curious about the issue on this cruise. They were out in full force when we went to the carib and as bold and brash as ever. With this being a port intensive trip, im thinking that people will be too tired to get up at 7 am on a sea day and set up camp by the pool. Am i wrong?

Thats all for now. Ive planned and planned and planned and now its just packing and getting all the paperwork together.

Thanks so much for your info.

Nora

1. I think he dropped us off as close as he could. I did see some taxis with disabled people that got closer, but that was it. I'd guess about 1/4 mile.

2. Villefranche-We never had any problems with tenders, and we didn't have any priority or CC status. As long as your whole group is together, they let people go.

3. The tenders are the size of the life boats or larger. Some even had open air seats upstairs. We tendered in Villefrance and Santorini. Normally they also tender in Croatia, but we did not.

4. There was a nice mix of Europeans and Americans. I'd say maybe 30%, alot of Latin families traveling together.

5. There were some chair hogs. By the end of the trip there were more than in the beginning. The issue is the search for shade!

Enjoy your trip!!:)

1. I think he dropped us off as close as he could. I did see some taxis with disabled people that got closer, but that was it. I'd guess about 1/4 mile.

2. Villefranche-We never had any problems with tenders, and we didn't have any priority or CC status. As long as your whole group is together, they let people go.

3. The tenders are the size of the life boats or larger. Some even had open air seats upstairs. We tendered in Villefrance and Santorini. Normally they also tender in Croatia, but we did not.

4. There was a nice mix of Europeans and Americans. I'd say maybe 30%, alot of Latin families traveling together.

5. There were some chair hogs. By the end of the trip there were more than in the beginning. The issue is the search for shade!

Enjoy your trip!!:)

Nora, Spiros dropped us off at the foot of the path leading up to the Acropolis. He really can't get any closer. One good thing is the tour cabs get there before the excursion groups, so you are ahead of the crowds. It is a short walk ( I agree with the 1/4 mile) but it is slightly up hill. Since it is morning, the heat should not be too bad. On the day we went there was a nice breeze on top of th Acropolis.

If you want a tour guide, make sure you do not miss the booth right near where you buy entrance tickets. It is easy to walk right by because the sign is not too big.

Don't worry about the tenders. They are the larger life boats or private boats that seat a lot of people. The ride is smooth and short. There are plenty of crew members there to help you board.

Have fun!

Bob

Archived