LA Metro

Just booked the Best Western in Long Beach. It has a metro stop right outside. Has anyone stayed in this hotel? any problems.

2. Has anyone actually used the metro to get to or from LAX. Not sure I want to do this with luggage but it beats driving in LA.

Just booked the Best Western in Long Beach. It has a metro stop right outside. Has anyone stayed in this hotel? any problems.

2. Has anyone actually used the metro to get to or from LAX. Not sure I want to do this with luggage but it beats driving in LA.

Have you ever heard the expression "You can't get here from there"???

The "Metro Rail" doesn't really service LAX...

When you go to the Metro website and type in LAX to Long Beach, this is what you get:

>>Starting at LAX

Ride Lot C Shuttle ( AIRPORT PARKING - 96TH ST) heading south

To: LAX TRANSIT CENTER Ar: 06:15AM

No Charge

Ride Metro Bus 232 (LONG BEACH TRANSIT MALL) heading west

To: 1ST ST/LONG BEACH BL(NW corner) Ar: 07:45AM

Pay $1.25, Monthly Pass: $62.00, (EZ Pass accepted)

Ending at LONG BEACH

Total cash fare = $1.25

Trip time is about 1 hour and 39 minutes.

Trip distance is about 27.56 miles. <<

An hour and 39 minutes by local buses...

I guess you could get over to the Aviation station near LAX (across the airport from the terminals--there is a shuttle)...and take the Green Line to Watts (Imperial/Wilmington Station) and change there to the Blue Line to Long Beach...You are passing through and changing trains with all your luggage in one of the worst neighborhoods in LA...Of course, some people tell me that security at the Metro stations is good...

I don't think any of us SoCal locals would EVER attempt this.

Personally, I would NOT stay at this hotel either...This is NOT the prime area of Downtown Long Beach...You are about 20 blocks from the coast...

I strongly recommend you stay near Ocean Avenue--the Westin, Hyatt, Renaissance, Hilton, Coast et al...These hotels will put you near the restaurants and attractions in an area where you can walk or take the free shuttle...

I would just get a shuttle from the airport...get there in about a quarter of the time right to your hotel with no hassle of changing trains or buses or stopping in bad neighborhoods...

There is only so much one should do to save a few dollars...

thats why I was asking..hotel looks ok from the web....location not that big a deal as its only pre and post cruise layover....been to LA lots...I emailed the hotel and they recommend an airport shuttle...

hotel is not that much cheaper than the Marriot so I may change to that..no availability at the Hyatt when I checked

agree 100% on the shuttle thing. As for the Hotel, the location isn't the best ... meaning it's not near anything except the metro station, a gas station, a McD's on the adjacent corner and a fast food place, that might serve chicken next door. (can never remember the name of it something or other giro or gallo).

The rooms are decent enough. The actual area it is in, is no better or worse than much of the area. It has fewer homeless folks milling about since there aren't really places to hang out. It's about a mile down the Blvd until you start to get to places to eat (fast food) and a few blocks beyond that for sit down places.

I would think the motel might be a bit noisy being so close to intersections of main roads and with the train.It doesn't sit back very far off the street.

For motel type places you might also look at the travelodge, roadway inn, Inn of LB all on Atlantic Ave. A little quieter street, only a couple blocks from Ocean Blvd and the shuttle line. I think there's also a Best Western on 1st street which is a little better location to me.

Our so-called "rapid transist" system (the Metrolink lines and the buses) are basically used by locals to get around when they don't have a car or want to save gas. My mil was on the orange line today, but then she's lived in LA and the Valley for over 50 years, and if anyone tries to mess with her, they may be sorry.;)

Certainly not used for getting around with luggage. Your best choices: shuttle, taxi, or rental car.

BTW, I would listen to the natives here, such as Steve, about areas to avoid. It's so easy to be in a safe area, and go down a few blocks and be in a dangerous area that's gang-infested. Unfortunately, that's LA.

I assume you're leaving for a cruise out of San Pedro and the hotel doesn't have a complimentary shuttle?

You might want to try the Crowne Plaza instead. They have a package for picking you up at LAX, a room with drinks and breakfast, shuttle to the ship, return you to LAX after the cruise. If you want to look into it on their website, search for "Best Available" and when the results come up, look at the packages available as opposed to room rates.

Good Luck

Tee

thanks for the info folks....leaving out of long beach....reading the message boards the Hyatt and the Crowne Plaza were my first choices. no room at either. still a long time out so I will keep checking.

as to the metro...my instincts said no but I did not want to be a snob about it.

I would agree that no one uses public transit in LA, it's worthless. And why they would build the Metro and not have it go all the way to the airport is beyond me. Listen to all responders on this thread and stay in a nicer area of LB, you won't be sorry. Take the shuttle from LAX to your hotel or why not fly into Long Beach airport instead?

Just a few days ago we pricelined our hotel in Long beach and got the Crowne plaza. I would try priceline. Our cruise is in November.

The Crowne Plaza is in San Pedro, not Long Beach.:)

Although I agree with the posters who said not to take the Metro from LAX (or as close as it gets to LAX), the system is quite safe. I have yet to read of any serious crime taking place, even though it doesn't travel through the A-list neighborhoods. But I wouldn't double the amount of time it takes to get to my destination. Life if too short!

Archived