bad spa experience in past

rphx2nc

This story is an oldie but on the Victory in 2001 I had an awful spa experience. I paid around $95 + tip from what a remember for a painful facial. She squeezed my pores and then zapped my face. Not what I expected. Then I was given instructions not to wear makeup that evening and the my face may be red. Maybe this should have been disclosed before she tortured me on FORMAL night. Then there was extreme pressure to purchase $250 worth of skin care products. When I kindly declined she became rude and insulting. I have never had skin problems and always taken care of my skin. The only good thing about the experience was the view from the room. My face ached that night, my chin throbbed and it was bright red. Needless to say on my next Carnival Cruise I did not schedule a spa treatment. I was in pain all night. My friend scheduled at the same time and her experience was great. She was not squeezed, zapped, red, hurt or pressured. She left feeling great. She was pregnant and I thought maybe that was the difference. Was this a unique situation? Now I am scared of the Spa.

Cruise ship spas are run by a contracting company. They vary alot.

I find them pricey compared to spas in my home town. I prefer to get my treatments at home. You can ask friends and family for referrals to good spas in your area. With a little research you probably will find a spa cheaper than the cruiseship one which is more in the resort category. And resorts do charge more. Also IMHO a resort tries to get as much money as possible because they usually have one shot at you. At a local place they will focus on service to get you coming back. I have occasionally had the hard sell locally but they are more afraid of scaring you off for return visits.

So if you really like relaxin while you are on vacation, the ship may be fine. But for my dollar, I relax after traveling in my local spa.

I spent a lot of time in the spa on my Tahitian cruise. One thing you should know about facials is sometimes they do inflame the face, if I am going to get one I usually get it about a week before my event, then I have the glowing skin for the event. But it shouldn't have ached. I wonder what treatments they gave you?

gill boo is right, facials sometimes do inflame the face. And it's best to get about a week before time.

Was that your first one? I get a facial every 2-3 months. My first one felt like torture as well. I sounds like yours. BUT-I loved the results.

I have had many services (most of the time massages) in the spa on board and yes can be expensive. My facial was my most unpleasant to date. I know now to get them done about a week before my big event.

Your friends pores may not have been as clogged as yours, that could be why hers was not as bad.

They can be pushy when it comes to selling their products.

Hope your next spa trip is better!

Gill you are %100 right. i would never get a facial on or around a big event. Your face needs a few days to heal. I live in NY and there is a spa on every corner. I have tried a few different places but when you find someone that knows what they are doing STAY with them.

I have only been on two cruises but I have visited the salon both times. I have thick, straight hair and i hate to have to mess with it but when you go in the pool or go to the beach of course your hair is a mess. So I book one day to get my hair blown out and it never comes out like it does at my regular place but it helps and gives me a base to work with. I am taking my first cruise on Carnival and will probably do the same thing again but this trip is only 4 days so it won't be as bad as an 8 day cruise.

If I were you I would not let your experience deter you from using the spa again, try a massage or mani pedi or those great hand softeners.....and just never let anyone at your face who don't know your skin...I was always told facials should not hurt, but i have had one or two that made my eyes tear.....

Tee

:) and I would strongly suggest you dont have your teeth whitened at the spa either..I couldnt imagine letting someone do that while on vacation plus what are their credentials ? You must remember its a money making business..enjoy your vacation and save your spa time for a local spa at home

I used the spa on Celebrity. I had a back facial, half massage and facial and a bath on different days. Loved the back facial. Would do that every week of my life if I could afford it. The facial was ok, but the massage left me in so much pain that I almost couldn't get out of my bunk. The bath was cool, but don't do it if you get motion sick at all. I've looked at the schedule for the Glory and it strikes me as pricey without much variety. They did do a sales pitch on me, but didn't do a really hard sell.

I think I will spend on the excursions.

I got the hard sell on product as well, and for that reason alone will never go back to a cruiseship spa. I was totally not expecting it, and was happy and relaxed from my treatment, so my defenses were down. Yes, no one forced me to sign the slip for some ridiculously expensive stuff. But I didn't appreciate what felt like manipulation.

Archived