quilt cruises in 2010

quiltnut

Hi, has anyone got any information on quilt cruises in 2010. I know its early but my sister and I live in Australia and are planning a quilting holiday to USA in 2010. We want to include a quilting cruise to Alaska or Hawaii but because of our location we don't think we will hear about the cruises early enough before they are booked out. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks quiltnut

• 3 months later...

There are a lot of quilt cruise providers out there! An internet search will usually turn some up. I’ve seen some with Hawaii, Alaska, etc. If their 2010 schedule isn’t up yet, they generally have something in the works—just email them for more info!

Happy Quilting/Cruising!! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I know a Group Quilting Cruise in November 2009 but it is in the Caribbean. If you want more info let me know

Hi, there are several of us who quilt who are going on the Noordam in April and wil be in the Med....do you know anyone who has bought fabric ,in say Greece, Italy or Spain, that could give us some info on some fabric sources? We can't go anywhere without thinking about the fabric stash;) thanks much, Liz

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend of mine went to Greece and looked for fabric...there is none. People don't really quilt over there.

Can I ask...for anyone who's taken a quilting cruise...do you feel that you get your money's worth vs. doing a retreat? Or do you think you'd miss out on the other aspects of cruising because you're quilting all the time?

For those looking for quilting cruises...I've seen them advertised many times in the classified section of quilt magazines. I'd go to my local fabric store and pick up a few copies.

• 1 month later...

From one quilt nut to another- hope you have a wonderful time in the US. It's a great theme to build travel around. You will meet great people.

I lead quilting groups to Tahiti, cruise on Paul Gauguin, land based or combo. Have just started an exchange with Tahitian Tifaifai quilters coming here to USA next summer. The Paul Gauguin, and also the smaller Haumana is a great setting for quilting in paradise. Not sure if it's appropriate for me to mention my website/contacts here, don't want to abuse the site by promoting my own services.

A quilting cruise (Mexican Riviera) with three teachers(Jackie Robinson, John Flynn, Bonnie Brownng) and three at sea days was wonderful, except my husband felt left out. We decided to keep cruising and my hobby/passion separate.

But when the opportunity to do a crochet cruise came up, it became my 25th anniversary present!! I sailed as a single on a HAL ship with 14 other crocheters and had a great time with Drew Emborsky and Annie Modesitt.

I was able to really get to know the teachers on both cruises.

Craftcruises.com puts together a great group crafting experience (not necessarily quilting).

• 4 months later...
A friend of mine went to Greece and looked for fabric...there is none. People don't really quilt over there.

I found the same thing in Italy. They just don't quilt there and fabric stores tend to be drapery upholstery sources. When I asked someone about 100% cotton in Florence, they directed me to a bed linens store. (sigh).

Can I ask...for anyone who's taken a quilting cruise...do you feel that you get your money's worth vs. doing a retreat? Or do you think you'd miss out on the other aspects of cruising because you're quilting all the time?

I've hesitated to do a quilting cruise because when I quilt at a retreat, I don't stop for 12 hours at a time except to eat. I cruise to relax and unwind.

• 2 weeks later...
I found the same thing in Italy. They just don't quilt there and fabric stores tend to be drapery upholstery sources. When I asked someone about 100% cotton in Florence, they directed me to a bed linens store. (sigh).

I've hesitated to do a quilting cruise because when I quilt at a retreat, I don't stop for 12 hours at a time except to eat. I cruise to relax and unwind.

hello everyone,i dont know if they organize quilt cruises to Turkey,but in Turkey,people(most of them) still do thair own quilts.And you can get all sorts of fabrics there..

enjoy sailing/quilting :))

• 2 months later...

I'll be going on my 3rd quilting cruise in just 3 weeks:D. Although to the Caribbean...we really need to get away from the cold. DH hasn't been able to golf yet this year it's been so cold. Anyway, DH enjoys the cruises as much as I do; classes during at sea days don't interfere with port activities or evening activities -- we might even get to dance! Last quilting cruise, two SILs, one BIL, and Mom joined us so we had our own table. What fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

My question, too.

I always seem to be busy on a cruise and when I go to a retreat I get a lot of quilting done. I take classes at Road 2 California, but not sure if I would miss too much quilting and too much cruising by combining them.

What has been your experience?

Archived