Rome - transportation to port

From many of the posts - it seems a lot of people do not use Azamara for transfers. There are several options for getting there - private transfer, taxi and many posters suggest the train. If search is up look for "transfers to Civitavecchia" or something similar. There are usually postings on the trip's roll call as well for people to share transfers.

I'm very pro-train to get around in Italy; so much, in fact, that I have over 40 pages of info at www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.com . Started the pages in Feb 2007 prior to our Jun 2007 Med Cruise. It just keeps growing.

Going back to Italy Oct 5th and will, again, follow my own advice. There is no better, more economical, more relaxing way to travel in Italy than by train.

:) :) :)

We used a limo service -- hotel to port and return to hotel -- 220 Euros (2 of us in private car). Service was excellent. Pricey but we wanted to maximize our time in Rome. Limo service met our flight and took us to hotel (30E) and picked us up four days later for transfer to port.

Complete review of Med. cruise and photos in the links below.

Kathy:)

Depending on whether you have been to Rome before, just get a hotel near the ship. We stayed at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia. Typical 3 star European hotel. Clean, good A/C, continental breakfast, And for an added fee they picked us up at the airport.

Our group of 16 just returned from the June 27, 2008, Western Mediterranean cruise on Carnival Freedom. All of our ground transfers in Rome were provided by ROMECABS (Stefano at romecabs@yahoo.com). Our private transportation consisted of 3 separate transfers from FCO Airport to our pre-cruise hotel in Rome; the transfer from Rome to the port; and 2 separate transfers from the port: 1 to the airport and 1 to our post-cruise hotel. The English-speaking drivers were courteous, friendly, and informative and always arrived at least 15 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time. With reference to the cost for the transfer from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia, we paid a total of 400 Euros for two (2) 8-passenger deluxe minivans.

Thanks. I will look into some of the private transfers. I will know more this week when we decide whether to use Azamara's transfers directly from the airport or if we are going early and staying in Rome precruise.

The train just isn't an option; as much as I try, I just can't seem to get the packing under control.

I just got back from a wonderful 13 day trip on RCCL to Italy and Croatia. AMAZING! And equally amazing was the wonderful company we used,Rome Cabs. They were extremely friendly,courteous and ALWAYS on time. In fact, they were always waiting for us! The cost was 140 euros to the port for the 3 of us (from our hotel in Rome). And 50 euros from our hotel to the airport. Private is the way to go! Another company I highly recommend is Rome in Limo. Duman , the owner, is FANTASTIC! Totally professional, on time and will give you the REAL Italy experience. We laughed the whole time! I cant say enough about Duman. He kick started our Italy trip so positively. I would not hesitate to use either company in the future. They were wonderful!

Diane :D

Dear GPSLover,

Gee well.. I am having 150 people over to my house for a graduation party in a week and a half and I am just now preparing for it! If you dont mind, I will post a review for you after that. Would that be ok? I just havent the time to do it properly for you now. I check this sight every so often now and am onfor only a few minutes. Would you like me to write it here?

One tip I do have for you... I met a wonderful couple who used their GPS while in Italy. They programmed the ships excursion into the GPS and followed it. They said it worked great! In fact they said they ran into the ships tour while doing it on their own. I wish I would have thought of that!

So until I write a review, rest assured that I had a wonderful time on the Legend!

Take care, Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone used their own transportation from Rome to the ship? We are deciding on whether to use Azamara's hotel or book on our own. Who did you use? What was the cost? Thanks so much.

Simple solution...RomeCabs for transfer and the Hotel Mozart for great location and ambiance!!!

I'm very pro-train to get around in Italy; so much, in fact, that I have over 40 pages of info at www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.com .

I had bookmarked one of your sites and thought it was excellent http://www.ftroute.com/FCO_ROM_CIV.cfm... I was going to read the rest of it in your link above, but couldn't log onto the site you gave & wondered if it's the link or my computer?

thanks,

I'm very pro-train to get around in Italy; so much, in fact, that I have over 40 pages of info at www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.com . Started the pages in Feb 2007 prior to our Jun 2007 Med Cruise. It just keeps growing.

Going back to Italy Oct 5th and will, again, follow my own advice. There is no better, more economical, more relaxing way to travel in Italy than by train.

:) :) :)

Great web site. Be nice if you could add Sicily to your site, particularly information and round trip schedules between Messina and Taormina.

I had bookmarked one of your sites and thought it was excellent http://www.ftroute.com/FCO_ROM_CIV.cfm... I was going to read the rest of it in your link above, but couldn't log onto the site you gave & wondered if it's the link or my computer?

thanks,

I'm not certain if it was a left finger or right finger deal or what. The referenced link should read www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm . Regarding the links for Sicily, I've been thinking about it but through communications with some folks that live there (or nearby) I'm truly concerned about time reliability. Quite honestly, I've never been that way about any other trains in Italy. I shall continue my research efforts.

Archived