Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

We noticed there was a Wal-Mart last time we were in Puerto. Too busy sightseeing to check it out, but going back there later in the year and wondered if anyone had been? Are there good bargains there, compared to US?

I'm laughing as I write this. Last year we went on our first cruise -- the Mexican Riviera on the Golden Princess. First stop? Walmart in Puerta Vallarta. I had to finish our costumes for the Halloween costume contest and somehow the buttons never made it on board (never did find those lovely brass buttons).

Anyway, ack ack ack -- it was about 100F, and we walked. Well, 'across the street' is a lot further than it looks, especially in the heat. And they had NO buttons, not any kind of buttons! Our Walmart here carries a sewing department, it even has fabric.

So, we walked around the store cooling off. We picked up a few odds and ends, maybe $45.00 worth of merchandise. It probably cost us more than in the states because most charge cards do a conversion and charge for it. I never checked, the one we used might not charge, who knows.

When we left, we tried to get a taxi back, but the drivers refused, something about agreements they couldn't cross. *sigh* So, we walked back and literally collapsed for most of the rest of the day.

In Mazatlan, we tried to use that credit card and it was denied -- a platinum card we've had forever and has never before been denied! We had to use another card.

After the cruise, back in San Pedro, we tried to use the card at a Starbucks, it was refused again, we still had to use another. Why? Because of that one silly charge in Walmart. It's a security thing. Turns out we should have notified the bank that we were going to use it internationally. A phone call fixed the problem.

Overall, the Walmart trip was a comedy of errors. And it looked cluttered, just like every other Walmart.

Recommendation: Don't sightsee at Walmart, Puerta Vallarta. :)

Cheers!

Tee

We were at Costco in PV last April. The store had just opened for the day and not many people were there; felt like we literally had the whole store to ourselves. The prices were comparable to the USA and laid out like the one near our home.

DH and I shopped in the WalMart during our PV port call in May. We picked up a few interesting items we couldn't find in the states, but frankly the prices of most things were higher than prices in stateside WalMarts.

Our best (and cheapest) purchase at the store was a cardboard container of pineapple/coconut juice. Mixed with a dose of rum, it was a great addition to our cabin's ``bar'' set up.:D

Dianne

Archived