Internet Connectivity on Liberty

Molly BPOE

I am taking an on-line course and have a test to take on one of our sea days. I have been given the option to take the test after I return from the cruise, but would rather not (her make up exams tend to be far more difficult). I need up to 38 minutes of sustained, uninterrupted time on line. What do you think the chances of completeing the test are?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

This topic has come many time. Almost always the answer is "Don't take the test on the ship". The reason are that the latency on a satelite connection is terrible. The speed is about equivalent to dialup and if you only use the time you have stated it will cost about $40. This info is for using the ships computers or your own laptop. You don't want to take the test and fail due to conectivity or running out of time.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for but I hope it helps make a decision.

This topic has come many time. Almost always the answer is "Don't take the test on the ship". The reason are that the latency on a satelite connection is terrible. The speed is about equivalent to dialup and if you only use the time you have stated it will cost about $40. This info is for using the ships computers or your own laptop. You don't want to take the test and fail due to conectivity or running out of time.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for but I hope it helps make a decision.

Archived