Star to Mexican Riviera Questions

cruisin414

Have been reading posts on CC for years but almost never posted myself. My DH and I are interested in the October 18th sailing of the Star to the Mexican Riviera. I know the experts here at CC can help me with some questions!

We are used to sailing to the carribean from either Miami or PR and are concerned about the weather and sailing conditions.

How is the weather at that time of year?

Is the water rough or can we expect some smooth sailing?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We are a middle-aged couple who have been on 8 cruises - 3 RCI, 2 Celebrity, 2 Princess and most recently on the Norwegian Dawn.

Thanks in advnace for all of your help!

Have been reading posts on CC for years but almost never posted myself. My DH and I are interested in the October 18th sailing of the Star to the Mexican Riviera. I know the experts here at CC can help me with some questions!

We are used to sailing to the carribean from either Miami or PR and are concerned about the weather and sailing conditions.

We are a middle-aged couple who have been on 8 cruises - 3 RCI, 2 Celebrity, 2 Princess and most recently on the Norwegian Dawn.

We were on the Star for the Mexican Riviera last year, end of October. I do not remember the sea's being especially rough. You might feel some movement when you are in the "open" seas, but I don't remember a lot. The weather, once we left LA, was beautiful. It was just cold in LA. The water was too cold to get into, IMHO, on the days we went to beaches, but it was a beautiful trip.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Was the weather warm enough to use the beach itself, even though the water was cold?

How about the pool and sun deck on the ship?

We just don't want to get stuck inside for most of the trip.

Any particular shore excursions you can recommend?

We were on the Star this past January, and we found the weather to be beautiful - not just on the cruise but in LA as well. My husband and daughter went swimming in our hotel's outdoor pool the night before the cruise - I heard people talking about it when I went to the lounge to meet some roll call friends!! ha ha ha Hey, what can I tell ya? We're from CANADA!!

Even those who were not escaping -30 weather enjoyed the weather on the cruise once we headed south. There were plenty of sunbathers and people were in the pool every day. Our itinerary was different than the one now, though, so I can't really comment on the beaches or the water temp. We only went in the ocean in Acapulco, which is no longer on the itinerary. What I can tell you is that I was on a similar cruise many years ago that stopped in PV and Mazatlan, and we went to the beach in both places. That trip took place in December and the weather was beautiful for spending time on the beach and in the ocean. The thing I remember about PV, though, was that there were jellyfish - there were signs in the water showing how high the risk was... a couple of the girls I was travelling with came back with some jellyfish burns after going on a banana boat ride.

Another thing I can tell you is that you'll love the Star. It's a beautiful ship with a great crew! :)

Hello... see if I can help here... I have traveled to Mexico many times and cruised the Riviera once.

The waters can be slightly rough on the last night of the cruise when returning to LA as the captain will be "full steam ahead" against ocean currents to make port on time, but you will most like hardly even notice it. Other than that...you will most likely not even realize you are in open ocean waters.

The ports of call for your Mexican Riviera cruise will all be very warm indeed in October. The pacific side of Mexico is a bit cooler and less humid than the atlantic side. The waters you will experience will be quite cool and possibly choppy (Cabo waters might be too cold and rough to get into). The beaches will be great. The cool breeze and warm sun mix well in October!

To get an idea on the shore excursions available....check our the ports of call section here on Cruise Critic. There are several threads that list very interesting things to do.... including the best places just to sit around on the beach and relax. One thing I enjoyed was buying a day at an all inclusive resort where I had full use of their private beach, all included cocktails and food, and the use of their shower and restroom facilities to change clothes.

You will have a great time if you like Mexico.

Happy cruising.... :D

Thanks to everyone who provided information.

We still have to think about it, but any and all information can help us make an informed decision.

By the way - we really like NCL and Freestyle - a lot more than we thought we would!

Yes, we were able to use the beach with usually no problem, although I did get some what cold in Cabo.

In Puerto Vallarta.. WE HIGHLY recommend the Las Caletas Hideaway. The crew on the boat ride over were just fantastic and we LOVED the facility and the lunch that was included. At Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, we just got off the boat and did our own thing. For $40.00 I believe, we "chartered" a taxi that took us around the area to take photos, then took us from Zihuatanejo to Ixtapa and let us go shopping for a couple of hours, then met us back at a certain point and took us back to the dock in Zihuatanejo. There are TONS of these taxi's that will do that for you when you get off the boat on the dock there in Zihuatanejo. I LOVED the shopping in Ixtapa. There were several people on our cruise that did the Las Gatas Beach Break in Zihuatanejo and loved it.

Mazatlan was not a part of our itinerary when we sailed. If you go to Acapulco, well.. I can just say I hope you liked it better than I did. My DDP thought it was ok, personally, I disliked it very much.

Can't really help you with the pool and sun deck as we usually do not take advantage of the pool when on a cruise ship. I can tell you WE LOVE the Star and I think you will really enjoy her.

I can just give you our experience from last year: We cruised about 2 weeks prior to what you are thinking: the weather was VERY hot, but it does start to cool down about mid Oct. As for the water, we were expecting a little rock and roll:NONE.

Overall the cruise was wonderful, our favorite restaurant was "Endless Summer" followed by Soho. Both had excellant service. Of course, like on most NCL ships, it is a must to grab something in the Blue Lagoon.

I think our only complaint about the Star and it wasn't anything that affected our cruise: the cabins were a little smaller than some ships, NCL as well as others and it really needs to be re-decorated. Maybe we have just seen those bedspreads too many times, but boy are they ugly!!!!!

We have cruised the MR 3 times and normally during February. The weather has always been good after day one when sailing. We have had only one occasion where it was a little rough, but nothing to even worry about. If you like shopping Puerto Vallarta is hte best place for that. Cabo has some really nice beahes if that 's your choice. Shopping is expensive in Cabo. Very Americanized.:)

definitly a great trip and itenerary. you have to go sailing in puerto vallarta. our trip was great and we enjoyed every minute of the it. last summer the water was warm but the seas were a bit rough on the way to maxico and very rough as we entered Los Angeles. We have been many cruises and unless you really dont like a a little excitement the weather should be perfect. Embarkation in Los Angeles is extremely easy and fast especially if you stay at the queen mary. [awesome haunted ship:eek: -dont expect musch sleep:D.

Since you have sailed the Dawn, the Star will seem very familar to you. They are sister ships and nearly identical in layout and venues.

(The "Venetian" Dining Room is called the "Versilles" on the Star for example, but they are identical.)

I loved both ships!

Thanks for all the great info...

How are the seas in December?

Also, if you're going on the Star (or any other NCL ship) don't forget to find the thread for your roll call, so you can meet up with other Cruise Critic members!

Our roll call for the Star on Dec 6 2008 is here

For other dates on the Star, you can click on my link, and then use the links at the top of the page to get back to the roll call board for your ship.

Paula and I were all over the Blue Lagoon..nice place for a midnite or later

snack, always open..

gotta try their fish and chip s..get 2 orders:o ..or 2 order s of their

chow-mein..they ve got won-ton too..

cept for the evening s we spent most of our time toward s the aft..a couple time s forward in the movie theatre..in the aft section s were main

dining, the gym and buffet:p burn a 1000 calories during a workout then

eat 1500..somehow the math never work s on a cruise..

My husband and I did this cruise last year the end of OCT. Weather was wonderful! Seas were calm. The Star was wonderful as was the staff. We really enjoyed it. Have a great cruise.:D

I can just give you our experience from last year: We cruised about 2 weeks prior to what you are thinking: the weather was VERY hot, but it does start to cool down about mid Oct. As for the water, we were expecting a little rock and roll:NONE.

Overall the cruise was wonderful, our favorite restaurant was "Endless Summer" followed by Soho. Both had excellant service. Of course, like on most NCL ships, it is a must to grab something in the Blue Lagoon.

I think our only complaint about the Star and it wasn't anything that affected our cruise: the cabins were a little smaller than some ships, NCL as well as others and it really needs to be re-decorated. Maybe we have just seen those bedspreads too many times, but boy are they ugly!!!!!

I LOVE the Star.. but I have to agree it could use a little bit of a face lift. The wall paper in our suite.. well... i don't think they can clean off the problems it had..LOL.. I think it was just faded in areas. Good news though about the bed spreads.. When we were on the Star last May 31, according to our room stewards, the 2.0 changes for bedding had been completed except for the new mattresses. Part of that change was no more bed spreads.

Please don't let what I just said slant you toward you not enjoying your cruise. It is a WONDERFUL ship and an excellent crew who are very proud of their ship. Like I have said, we have been on her twice and wouldn't hesitate to take a trip on her again. Next year we are taking a 14 day cruise on the Dawn and we are very excited since she is the sister ship to the Star. We are even going to be in the same cabin number, 9232.

I LOVE the Star.. but I have to agree it could use a little bit of a face lift. The wall paper in our suite.. well... i don't think they can clean off the problems it had..LOL.. I think it was just faded in areas. Good news though about the bed spreads.. When we were on the Star last May 31, according to our room stewards, the 2.0 changes for bedding had been completed except for the new mattresses. Part of that change was no more bed spreads.

Please don't let what I just said slant you toward you not enjoying your cruise. It is a WONDERFUL ship and an excellent crew who are very proud of their ship. Like I have said, we have been on her twice and wouldn't hesitate to take a trip on her again. Next year we are taking a 14 day cruise on the Dawn and we are very excited since she is the sister ship to the Star. We are even going to be in the same cabin number, 9232.

Wow, enjoy your cruise; I was pretty sure 2.0 would bring an end to the bedspreads, I would imagine they would have be changed soon even without 2.0. The Sun has or had the same ones, but the cabins were a tad larger. Of course no one should or would let faded bedspreads ruin their cruise I wouldn't think, on the other hand, some would....LOL

We cruised the mexican riveria on the star April 2006. It was a wonderful cruise. We had a 10 deck balcony cabin and it was great. I found it was lots of space even with 3 people in the cabin. Also we had a wheelchair folded in the cabin and it was not in the way. As for the excursions we first went to Acapulco but I have not travelled much in my life and Acapulco was scary for me. I am not use to seeing military everywhere and it quite honestly freaked me out. I didnt get off at Ixtapia(excuse my spelling) but did get off at Puerto Vallarta which was excellent. The cobblestone streets and the buildings and churches were beautiful. I felt very safe there but that could be because our tour guide was awesome. Cabo San Lucas was beautiful but I didnt get to see it much because our tour guide had his own agenda that day. One thing I found great in Acapulco was the cliff divers. I definetely recommend that it was amazing. I like sea days so that cruise was perfect. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did. We are now booked on the Pearl Dec 07/08 and looking forward to it.

Archived