Parking/Walking in NYC

Warm Breezes

We are looking at possibly cruising on the NCL Dawn next July if DH can get the time off. In researching our best way to get to NY and what to do pre-cruise we have come up with the following:

1. We are going to drive from Michigan leaving the Thursday after work. We should arrive Friday during the day sometime.

2. We are looking to stay at an Embassy Suites in New Jersey about a half hour out of NYC for Friday & Saturday night. The prices I found for NYC hotels were just too much for a half-way decent hotel for us to consider staying there.

3. On Saturday DD(11) wants to do the Rockette Experience at Radio City Music Hall (2 hour class/1 hour tour) while the DH and DS(14) tour Empire State Building and Sony Museum. We also all want to see Ground Zero.

4. Our cruise will leave on Sunday so we plan on traveling directly to the terminal that day.

My questions are:

1. Since we will have our own vehicle, where(and cost) is the best place for us to park in NYC on Saturday to do Radio City Music Hall, the Empire State Bldg, Sony Museum, and Ground Zero?

2. Is it feasible for us to do these four places by walking from one parking place?

3. Would there be any other options for us other than driving in from New Jersey on Saturday and having to find a parking spot (bus, taxi, subway) and what would the cost be?

4. I know that parking at the pier is $30 per day. Are there any other less expensive options?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

We are looking at possibly cruising on the NCL Dawn next July if DH can get the time off. In researching our best way to get to NY and what to do pre-cruise we have come up with the following:

1. We are going to drive from Michigan leaving the Thursday after work. We should arrive Friday during the day sometime.

2. We are looking to stay at an Embassy Suites in New Jersey about a half hour out of NYC for Friday & Saturday night. The prices I found for NYC hotels were just too much for a half-way decent hotel for us to consider staying there.

3. On Saturday DD(11) wants to do the Rockette Experience at Radio City Music Hall (2 hour class/1 hour tour) while the DH and DS(14) tour Empire State Building and Sony Museum. We also all want to see Ground Zero.

4. Our cruise will leave on Sunday so we plan on traveling directly to the terminal that day.

My questions are:

1. Since we will have our own vehicle, where(and cost) is the best place for us to park in NYC on Saturday to do Radio City Music Hall, the Empire State Bldg, Sony Museum, and Ground Zero?

2. Is it feasible for us to do these four places by walking from one parking place?

3. Would there be any other options for us other than driving in from New Jersey on Saturday and having to find a parking spot (bus, taxi, subway) and what would the cost be?

4. I know that parking at the pier is $30 per day. Are there any other less expensive options?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

1) You can park in NYC, however I would suggest you look at what public transportation is available from your hotel in New Jersey. There are numerous options ranging from train (NJ Transit and PATH) and busses. Parking in Manhattan is not easy and can be expensive, up to $75 a day and then there are tolls to consider.

2)While it's possible to walk from the WTC site (please don't call it ground zero), the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center and the Old AT&T Building (Sony Wonder Museum), its a not really feasible and you would be exhausted. However all those sites are easily reached by subway. A day subway pass is $7.50 a person and well worth it.

3)Yes, see 1. It would help if we knew where you were staying in NJ.

4)You won't find parking in NYC for less than $30 a day. Again, you don't mention where you hotel is, you may want to ask them about parking and take public transportation to the cruise terminal.

My apologies on the WTC labeling. We are looking at Embassy Suites Parsippany, NJ. Should I be looking for something closer to NYC? We are from a rural area in Michigan so I am not always good at judging how long it would take to get somewhere with city driving. The last (and first) time DH and I were in NYC was 19 years ago before kids. We basically had time to do the Statue of Liberty then, so I'm clueless when it comes to where to go and what to do. We normally go to Chicago and that doesn't seem as hard to get around.

My apologies on the WTC labeling. We are looking at Embassy Suites Parsippany, NJ. Should I be looking for something closer to NYC? We are from a rural area in Michigan so I am not always good at judging how long it would take to get somewhere with city driving. The last (and first) time DH and I were in NYC was 19 years ago before kids. We basically had time to do the Statue of Liberty then, so I'm clueless when it comes to where to go and what to do. We normally go to Chicago and that doesn't seem as hard to get around.

Parsippany is about an hours drive into Manhattan, without traffic. It's very rare that you won't encounter traffic from New Jersey to NYC. Taking the train in from Parsippany isn't the greatest on the weekend. There is a station in Mountain Lakes but trains only stop there during the week. On weekend you would have to make it to Morristown. Lakeland Bus has service to the Port Authority.

http://www.lakelandbus.com/Sched80WEE.html

You may want to try to get something closer or you can drive to Hoboken or Jersey City and take the PATH in from there. During the week parking is hard to come by in Jersey City and Hoboken, but on the weekend it's easier.

Not sure what your budget is, but there are hotels (Marriot Courtyard, Hyatt and Candlewood Suites) by the Exchange Place and Pavonia PATH stations in Jersey City.

Parsippany is too far out. Look at the Secaucus motels, which are just on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey. There is bus service from these motels to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, where you can get the subway or walk to Rockerfeller Center or Empire State.

Spend some time searching this forum. There have been discussions about Secaucus motels and bus service to NY. There have also been discussions about parking your car in NJ and taking the ferry to NY for the cruise. If you find a motel in that area, you can always ask if you can leave your car there and what the charge would be.

I would also recommend a train/bus into the city vs. driving yourselfl for the day. Parking is very expensive and driving can be its own adventure.

The WTC site is a distance from the other things you want to see; too far to walk and get everything done in one day so you will want to ride to/from there. The subway is the cheapest but catching a cab is also easy and with a family of 4 you can all fit into one for eas and speed; though it will cost you more.

Enjoy your time in NYC: it's a wonderful place to visit.

Look at the Secaucus motels, which are just on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel in New Jersey.

Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay at in Secaucus? We would like to keep costs under $150/night with parking. How much would the bus service be into Manhattan from there? Do the buses pick up near or at the hotels? How hard is it to use the subways (we have never even been in one before)? Sorry for all the questions. This will be a new learning experience for us.

I would also recommend a train/bus into the city vs. driving yourselfl for the day. Parking is very expensive and driving can be its own adventure.

The WTC site is a distance from the other things you want to see; too far to walk and get everything done in one day so you will want to ride to/from there. The subway is the cheapest but catching a cab is also easy and with a family of 4 you can all fit into one for eas and speed; though it will cost you more.

Enjoy your time in NYC: it's a wonderful place to visit.

Thanks for the info. I think this maybe the route we will go for our day trip into NYC and then park at the pier for our cruise for convenience and safety. We would like any info you have on using the bus/train/subway system as this would all be new to us. I don't want to look like a bunch of lost clueless tourists.

Thanks for the info. I think this maybe the route we will go for our day trip into NYC and then park at the pier for our cruise for convenience and safety. We would like any info you have on using the bus/train/subway system as this would all be new to us. I don't want to look like a bunch of lost clueless tourists.

You will of course look like a bunch of lost clueless tourists and so will about half the people. You will also look like a lost clueless tourist and most places you will visit but that is the way it is.

After parking I suggest you walk over to the train station at 49th street and eight avenue. Take the downtown C or E train to the world trade center site.

Its $2.00 per person on a metrocard(you can buy it at a machine) or for $7.00 you get a whole day pass per person for unlimited use on buses and subway. get a map from the station attendant or you can look at the maps posted at the train station and in the subway cars. The subway is by far the fastest way to get around in Manhattan. you can see a map at http://www.mta.info/nyct/index.html

Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay at in Secaucus? We would like to keep costs under $150/night with parking. How much would the bus service be into Manhattan from there? Do the buses pick up near or at the hotels? How hard is it to use the subways (we have never even been in one before)? Sorry for all the questions. This will be a new learning experience for us.

Check out the Days Inn in North Bergen. It used to be a Holiday Inn (I have stayed there numerous times when it was a Holiday Inn). They are supposed to have a shuttle to NYC for $10.00pp.

Otherwise, any of the hotels around Secaucus/Meadowlands are a direct shot into NYC. Bus runs on RT. 3 straight through the Lincoln Tunnel into NYC. Most of the 3* hotels in Secaucus (Sheraton/Radisson/Renaisance) available on Priceline for $100 or less. But if you need more than one bed, Priceline may not be the best.

People are giving you good feedback. The problem is choosing what plan will work best for you.

I searched Travelocity for hotels in Secaucus in late August and saw several nice choices under $150. The problem is that it is too early to book a discount hotel next year, but you can get a good idea of your choices and make an overall plan.

You can easily drive into NY on a Saturday morning from Secaucus. There public parking in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is right on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel. If you drive, plan to park there and then walk or take the subway.

When you are ready to leave NY, you will already be at the Lincoln Tunnel. This will save you a lot of time getting out of the city.

Meanwhile, find a NY transit map on the internet and plan your route. If it were me, I would go to the Empire State Building as early as possible because the lines get out of control, particularly on a summer weekend. You can see the World Trade Center at any time of the day.

Thanks for all the great advise. Has anyone been to the Sony Wonder museum? Would there be enough there to entertain DS(14) and DH for 3 hours while DD(11) does the Rockette class and tour? Just wondering if I should plan on them doing just that or have them set up to do more while we are at the theater. Is the museum close (walking distance) to the theater. If not, what is in the area around Radio City Music Hall that would interest them? DH isn't going to want to wander to far from where I will be. Again thanks for the great info.

Pricing a NYC hotel more than a year in advance won't always give you a great idea of what it will actually cost to stay in NYC in July 2009. Do some more research (frommers.com to start) and you may find that the price difference does not make staying in New Jersey worthwhile.

Parking at the Pier is probably the 2nd most affordable parking you will find. There is a lot at Pier 40 (Houston at the Hudson River) which is a bit less expensive, but you'll be further away from your car and the savings are miniscule.

You asked whether Rockefeller Center was near "the museum." There are several museums on West 53rd Street, the most notable of those is the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). The Museum of Natural History (the one in the movie Night at the Museum) is my recommendation for a family.

Central Park is also only 10 blocks from Radio City Music Hall.

The Metropolitan Museum (the Met) is at 5th Avenue around 30 blocks north of Radio City Music Hall. A taxi will cost around $15 with tip, each way, and can take up to 4 passengers.

In my opinion you are spending too much time travelling into NYC to spend several more hours going back and forth from New Jersey.

Sorry, reread your post and now I see that "the museum" refers to Sony. I have heard good things about Sony, but I've never heard it referred to as a museum. It is walking distance from Radio City Music Hall. You'll have a chance to stop at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trump Tower, Tiffany's, etc. in between the two places.

The only place you won't be near is the World Trade Center site. I live a block away. It is now a full blown construction site. There is not much to see there. If you decide to go it is best reached by subway.

I have had great success in recommending The Homewood Suites in Edgewater NJ. It is a great place to stay. You can leave your car there for the crusie at no charge and you can take the Ferry (nywaterway.com) back and fourth to the city. There are car services available to take you to the pier as well and they are very reasonable. The hotel overlooks the manhattan skyline located right on the Hudson River. The hotel is in an amazing location only about 2 years old.

If you can leave your car in NJ at no charge for a week you will be saving a bundle of money just on parking, enough to take a limo back and forth from Edgewater NJ.

I checked the rates at the hotel nearest to me for a room in August 2008 and for a room in July 2009. If you book this far out a room in July 2009 is almost $600 a night (ouch), but the same room in August 2008, when the hotel is better able to determine that they are not giving away a room that they could have rented at full rack rate, is around $300 a night. Still not cheap, but around half the price and in Manhattan. We have a 2 bedroom apartment in the same neighborhood and I'm having no luck getting anyone to sublet for most of August at around $80 a night because we have a cat in the apartment. We're going to Alaska and Vancouver for almost a month and the apartment is going to sit empty.

Town car to the port from Edgewater NJ is about $40 ...Hilton Homewood Suites Edgewtaer is the way to go. I was just down there last night and had dinner at a restaurant on the Hudson. You guys should check it out runs around $160 a night free breakfast and light supper.

We haven't been to the Sony Wonder in a few years. I would figure on 2 hours max. There is also an exhibit area where you can view the latest and greatest from Sony.

As far as hotels go, I'm from Long Island, so I am biased in that direction.

There are several major hotels in Rockville Centre. This town is right on the Long Island Rail Road. Commuting time to Penn Station is about 40 minutes. From Penn, you can take the subway almost anywhere you desire. Rockville Centre is a safe area which has several nice restaurants to choose from for breakfast through dinner.

I think you may have overplanned your day in NY.

While the websites tell you about how long each experience lasts, you need to take into effect the lines you will be waiting on before you get into any of the attractions you are looking at. Unless you buy the Express pass for the Empire State Building, you can be on line for several hours before you even get in. Then getting to the Sony Wonderlab and down to WTC after that might be tough depending on the lines.

Subways are the way to go for all of your traveling.

I also live on LI but I wouldn't recommend going out to Rockville Centre for a hotel. Stay in Jersey.

Archived