Best place to snorkel from Shore?

dig21

My son & I love to snorkel but unfortunately my husband does not like to snorkel from a boat out in the middle of the ocean(he says he never should have seen Jaws as a kid). We will be stopping in Cozumel on our cruise in February and I have agreed to compromise and only snorkel from the beach. I would love some opinions on the best places to snorkel from shore. We are thinking about Chankanaab but I have read mixed reviews.

We did Dzul Ha last week. Lots of coral and fish to see. Taxi fare is $7 each way (from Puerta Maya). Best entry is the stone steps between the palapa bar and its eating area.

Snorkel equipment rental was $8 per person across the street at PalMar Beach Estate/Club, where we hung out afterward enjoying the fabulous pool as we watched the organized tour boats pull up to the same coral heads we'd snorkeled an hour earlier for a lot less money. :D

On 9/29/04 our group of 9 from the Elation rented a Ford Excursion and headed to Dzul Ha. We had our own snorkel gear. It was great. Far better than Chankanaab. Afterward we headed south to Nachi Cocom for some beach time. Cozumelinsider.com has pictures of Dzul Ha and other spots under activities at the top of their page. They also have charts showing which beaches are good for snorkeling, etc., and they have a page with discount coupons for various beaches.

Coral Princess resort is north of town about 3 miles. They have a website where you can view the property. Great if you don't like crowds. The property has a man made beach area but is built on the edge of a reef. They have a couple of Palapa bars and quite a bit of good snorkeling right there. It is almost like jumping into an aquarium.

Archived