rooms with upper berths...can you make lower beds into queen?

cruz guy

We had a guarantee on the Crown and were assigned cabin E518 which is an obstructed view cabin.

Location is good...midship. Knew I would likely get an obstructed view since that is the minimum category I signed up for...that's fine.

I noticed it says that it has room for a 3rd or 4th passenger. There are only 2 of us so we won't use the extra berths or beds or what ever they use for the 3rd or 4th passenger.

Here's my concern: I was sitting reading "Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising" and it says specifically that "some cabins can accommodate a 3rd or 4th person in upper berths. However in such cabins, the lower beds cannot then be pushed together to make queen sized beds."

Help! Does anyone know if in the Emerald mid deck OV cabins that have room for 3rd and 4th passengers if the beds can be brought together to make a queen?

If they can't, then I'd rather switch to an inside, since I really want to be able to bring the beds together.

Thanks for any help.

We had a guarantee on the Crown and were assigned cabin E518 which is an obstructed view cabin.

Location is good...midship. Knew I would likely get an obstructed view since that is the minimum category I signed up for...that's fine.

I noticed it says that it has room for a 3rd or 4th passenger. There are only 2 of us so we won't use the extra berths or beds or what ever they use for the 3rd or 4th passenger.

Here's my concern: I was sitting reading "Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising" and it says specifically that "some cabins can accommodate a 3rd or 4th person in upper berths. However in such cabins, the lower beds cannot then be pushed together to make queen sized beds."

Help! Does anyone know if in the Emerald mid deck OV cabins that have room for 3rd and 4th passengers if the beds can be brought together to make a queen?

If they can't, then I'd rather switch to an inside, since I really want to be able to bring the beds together.

Thanks for any help.

The 3rd and 4th fold into the wall, the main beds can be put together. Whether the 3rd and 4th are out or not you would have to climb on the main bed to get up there.

We won't be using the other berths. There are only 2 of us so we don't need the ladders or anything.

I just want to make sure we can still bring the beds together since the extra berths will not be used. Berlitz's report has me worried.

We won't be using the other berths. There are only 2 of us so we don't need the ladders or anything.

I just want to make sure we can still bring the beds together since the extra berths will not be used. Berlitz's report has me worried.

We've been in cabins that will accommodate a third person and the lower beds went together. They are not bolted to the floor, so you should be fine.

Whew...that had me really worried. Nothing like celebrating an anniversary in twin beds!

The reason you came across that info online is because the cruise line actually say that if the 3rd and 4th beds are used (top bunk type beds) then they do not actually want the two lowers put into a queen, for safety reasons. But if you aren't using the top accomodations, only the lower, it's no problem whatsoever. If they aren't in the queen cofiguration when you get to your stateroom, just mention it to your room steward and he will take care of it when he makes the beds up that evening.

Oh, and have a GREAT Anniversary. :)

We've always found the Berlitz guy to very accurate in his description of the ambiance. We enjoy his reviews. I'm glad he was wrong about your cabin. When do you cruise?

We've always found the Berlitz guy to very accurate in his description of the ambiance. We enjoy his reviews. I'm glad he was wrong about your cabin. When do you cruise?

Nov 9th. Can't wait! Just in time to get away from the cold weather up north into sunny skies and warm Caribbean waters.

I had a similar concern regarding my upcoming cruise (on Saturday). My 16 yr. old daughter will be in our room on the upper berth, and our cruise documents show that our rooms are being set up as "Convertible Twins". I wasn't sure if that meant that we could convert them if we wanted to, so I was just going to ask the steward when we arrive if it is possible to have the beds pushed together even with the top berth occupied.

Does anyone know if there is a policy for the bed arrangement when there's an upper berth in use? I find conflicting things on the boards. Is there a safety issue? Is it because the person on the upper berth could roll off onto the people below? (I had assumed there would be a rail.) Or is it because the bed is really difficult to make if there's a lower bed in the way? I was also wondering if the berth is folded up in the daytime or left down all the time.

Sue

(Caribbean Princess - July 19, 2008)

I don't know if the lower beds can be made into a queen if the upper berths are used, but the berths are always but up during the day. There are rails that lock up. My son was concerned about sleeping in the upper berth but had no problems

I had a similar concern regarding my upcoming cruise (on Saturday). My 16 yr. old daughter will be in our room on the upper berth, and our cruise documents show that our rooms are being set up as "Convertible Twins". I wasn't sure if that meant that we could convert them if we wanted to, so I was just going to ask the steward when we arrive if it is possible to have the beds pushed together even with the top berth occupied.

Sue

(Caribbean Princess - July 19, 2008)

When you are in a triple the beds always show up as twin, configuration. When you call Princess or look at the Cruise Personalizer you are told it cannot be made into a queen, but it can. You are correct in thinking that you should simply ask your cabin steward to do it when you get to the room. That is what we did.

I seem to remember that when we were on the Island Princess the top bunk was always left open, but my daughter may have requested that it stay that way. Also, there is a bar up there,so you cannot fall off

Archived