SZ Guarantee

cruzmaven

I'm wondering how HAL assigns its guranteed cabins. When I booked my Alaska cruise on Westerdam, I got a SZ guarantee cabin. I believe there are only two SZ cabins, so the assumption is I will be assigned a SY or higher.

Let me say that I'll be happy if I get one of the two SZ, or ANY SY or higher cabin so let's not talk about the pitfalls of booking guarantees.

As of today, about 6 weeks before the sailing date, HAL is still selling SZ guarantee cabins. I'm assuming they've sold many more SZ guarantees than they have SZ cabins.

My question is, when it comes time to assign cabins, do they first offer upgrades to people who booked SY cabins, and then put the SZ guarantees in the vacated SY's? Or do they just assign the SZ guarantees to whatever cabins are available SZ or higher?

I wish I knew. Two years ago we booked an SZ guarantee on Westerdam to Alaska and wound up with an aft SC corner suite. The next year we booked an SS guarantee on Westerdam and got an SS. I think that upgrading booked guests depends on the demand for cabins at the lower levels. I know of first time cruisers getting marvelous upgrades so I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason for "who gets what". I've also heard that it's a random computer selection process. I guess I still believe in the "Upgrade Fairy"

GN

We have booked SZ guarantees twice. One upgrade to an SS and one to an SC. The only thing I was ever concerned about when booking the SZ is that if we actually got the forward facing one (see deck plan) that the wind on the balcony could be a factor when under way.

Nobody knows for sure. Everyone has an opinion about it, some post like they know, but they don't. It's anyone's guess as to what the real formula is - if there is one. Personally my opinion is - eenie, meenie, miine, mo.......Happy Sailing!

I booked an SZ guarantee, too, and we sail in 11 days, no cabin assignment yet but I'll let you know what happens to me. Maybe someone should start a data base and enter all the possible factors and we can "break the code" and figure out how the elusive upgrade fairy works (and it's not just HAL, other lines I've sailed on are the same way, no one knows who will get upgraded, I personally think that makes it more fun)

Archived