Upgrading to a Penthouse

miss-heli

We have just come back from a Mini-cruise and had the good fortune to be upgraded to a Courtyard Villa.

As many have predicted the thought of our Balcony (BA) cabin for our 2 week family cruise in August is now a less appealing !!.

Can't begin to afford a Courtyard Villa but may be able to stretch to a Penthouse (AE) and leave the Kids in the Inside cabin we have booked for them.

What NCL 'experts' thoughts on shelling out for the upgrade .

PS

What can the Concierge do for you...we only saw ours when she showed us onboard?

I hope you get some helpful answers. The people who post here are SO varied that one never quite knows what kind of responses you will get.

The four cruises on which I had concierge service all were very different types of experience. He/she IS a resource which you can use or not as you see fit. I used them selectively to do some fun stuff, but I am sure other passengers have used them much more extensively.

When we were on the Jewel in February, our concierge (Alex Forbes) was in the Star Bar (next to Cagney's) every morning to greet us and see to our needs as we came in for breakfast. He made all our restaurant reservations for us (changing some as the week progressed), he was able to book a couple of excursions for us and provided priority tender tickets. Alex made our cruise very special, and for that reason we will book a penthouse (whenever we can afford it).

Most everyone notices a lack of service in all areas on these short cruises.

There is simply too much going on to get the usual fine service that NCL Butler's and Concierge are known for.

The longer the cruise the more opportunity these indviduals will have to meet you and take care of you.

I think NCL should consider doing away with Butler and Concierge service for ALL categories on cruises 3 days or shorter.

You will be more comfortable in the AE then BA. But the difference in cost would be money you would have to spend on other aspects of your vacation.

Hope you have a good time on your upcoming cruise.

Here is how I would attack the question. How often do I go on a two week cruise. If it is a once or twice in a lifetime thing and I COULD afford a suite, without a doubt I would book the suite to get the extra pampering. If money were an issue, I would be ok with a BA and not regret a thing. If a two week cruise was not such a special occasion for your family, I might would also stick with a BA. For us, a two week cruise might happen a very few times in our days. We have been on one 12 day cruise and going on a 14 day cruise next year.. so for us they are few and far between..

The concierge, to me, can make or break your cruise. Well.. I use that phrase loosely because I truly believe, with little exception only you and ruin your cruise. However, a good concierge can do WONDERS to make your cruise a special event of a lifetime. We have had a TERRIFIC concierge, Simone, on the NCL Star, for two cruises and she is just a doll. I honestly felt like there was nothing that we couldn't ask of her that she would not do. On the Sun, the concierge was nice and helpful and assisted us when we needed it so I guess she did a good job as well, just nothing outstanding that I can remember

As far as butlers, we have had the full spectrum. On the Sun the butler was just ok... not good.. not bad... For our first cruise on the Star the butler we had was AMAZING..(he is now the butler for the Garden Villas) and for the last cruise on the Star our butler was HORRIBLE.

We have just come back from a Mini-cruise and had the good fortune to be upgraded to a Courtyard Villa.

As many have predicted the thought of our Balcony (BA) cabin for our 2 week family cruise in August is now a less appealing !!.

Can't begin to afford a Courtyard Villa but may be able to stretch to a Penthouse (AE) and leave the Kids in the Inside cabin we have booked for them.

What NCL 'experts' thoughts on shelling out for the upgrade.

I am in no way an expert but I can understand your plight I have been lucky to afford to upgrade on some ships that I have been on they were ferries not cruise ships but the cabins were very very large compared with normal cabins and the extra services are a nice touch.

So if you can afford it go for it we have two weeks on the ship a few sea days so you will have time to enjoy the larger cabin and you will get those extra items like lunch and breakfast in Cagneys and possibly your two sons will be able to join you for those.

See you on board.

As a little aside to this I foolishly checked an American TA for the same trip next year compared to my English TA and for 2000 dollars more I could have an AB for myself and family compared to the price I am paying this year for a balcony!

But I am going on holiday with my family I have a book or two to read and just to able to spend time relaxing with family is going to be great :D

One thing I really like about NCL AE's are I think almost all of them are aft (stern) penthouses. What ship will you be on? The stern PH's are my favorite. It's calm, (like in quieter), peacefull and oh the view!:D Plus DH spends alot of time in the room & balcony so extra space is nice.

We always take full use of our concierge, booking our specialty restaurants, spa appts., excursions, or whatever! Same goes for the Butler--we're entertainers :eek: (like to have parties in our PH) so we use him/her ALOT.

Not to forget the breakfast & lunch in Cagneys. YUM

Like others have said: You know your buget and is this something you will not being doing for a long while or will another chance come along soon???

Good Luck in your decision making!

How long before your cruise did u get your cabin number all our party have booked gtys some have cabin numbers and some dont .We are on the Jewel mini 9/8

Cabin numbers showed about 4 days before we sailed

What NCL 'experts' thoughts on shelling out for the upgrade .

PS

What can the Concierge do for you...we only saw ours when she showed us onboard?

You may want to check out the prices of an AB for the family it may not be to much more than getting an AE and an Inside on some cruises.

If you can afford a suite the perks as you know are well worth it!

You may want to check out the prices of an AB for the family it may not be to much more than getting an AE and an Inside on some cruises.

Good idea! That would also eliminate the "do the kids in the inside get the suite perks" issue. (The answer is some yes, some no, and some "depends on the ship, cruise, and crew" with no definitive answer; strict answer is no for most things.)

beachchick

Sadly the AB's on Jade are fully booked for this sailing hence the reason for Miss Heli possibly going for an AE.

Archived