How in the World can you put everything into 1 suitcase???

SEA SOUNDS

That's $25 each way....I'm packing more in my suitcases not...I used to try to hold them to 35 pounds each, now I pack at least 45 and mix and match more shirts and less pants......Dennis

Thanks for all the good ideas , I always start out with good intentions to pack light, but somewhere along the way I loose sight of that. It doesn't help that my DH is 6'6" tall and wares are size 15 shoe, makes packing light a real challange. But I am going to try again to do a better job of it. We do enjoy formal nights so I am not ready to give that up just yet, and we tend to take crusies longer than 7 days, so laundry will probably be a must. Have a relative that worked for Holland American for a number of years and did the world cruise several times , and said that mix and match (black dressy skirt with different matching tops for formal nights) with small accesories (scarves, etc.) were the answer for her. Good luck to us all.
Cori

I am sure many of you already know this or may have posted already, but the DW saw this on the travel channel and we tried it last nite while packing. If you roll your clothes, it WILL save you space in your luggage. Reduced mine to almost half. It is not supposed to show wrinkles either when unpacked so we will see. Try it and see for yourself.
Hope this helps.
:)

[quote name='Cori'] It doesn't help that my DH is 6'6" tall and wares are size 15 shoe, makes packing light a real challange. [/QUOTE]

I do love wearing my tuxedo, so a garment bag is a given and I have to save bulk in other ways. I find that lightweight surf shoes easily do triple duty on deck, in the gym and on the beach and are much less bulky than sneakers, so I pack them and my tux shoes and wear my loafers and blazer for embarkation. I pack a couple of pairs of lightweight nylon pants to wear on deck and/or in the gym, and pack an extra pair of slacks and some chinos for dinner. I'm going up to Canada solo this time around, so no snorkeling equipment or walkie-talkies needed.
:)

I am in the same situation for November. We puchased our air before the changes but our airline does not recognize or grandfather the purchase. They are allowing us to do a rebate after the flight but if we both take 2 bags we have to pay $100 and then get the rebate. We are going to attempt to par it down to 3 bags and only pay for 1 bag.

Actually it is not my clothes that take up the space. It is really going to hard for me since I normally overpack. Plus we are going to be gone 11 days.

I will wear one pair of jeans out with a tshirt and jacket. That will help alot. I normally wear flip flops but will wear my tennis shoes to conserve space.

I plan on taking 3 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of black pants, several matching tops for the pants, 3 tshirts, 3 tank tops, socks, pj's, 2 pairs of flip flops, one pair of dress shoes, 4 dresses and 3 bathing suits. I always take a sweatshirt so that will go too.

I roll my clothes to conserve space as well.

I just saw on TV a suggestion for your undies and such. Put them in a small ziploc and take the air out of them. Same idea as the space savers.

Oh I really like the idea about purchasing t-shirts. I normally do not buy stuff at port but will want to on this cruise so I will use the tshirts I buy to wear later in the cruise.

We always buy our sodas and water at the port area and this time will be buying a lot of other stuff there as well.

Re-Wear!!! That Little Black Dress can be pretty versitile, with different wraps, etc. So that's ONE formal outfit. Some black slacks - same same!
I also do a load of laundry about mid-week (not on a sea day with everyone else), do it while you're getting ready for dinner on a port day.
We usually have one suitcase (between DH and I), one garmet bag, and a suitcase for each kid. That includes snorkel stuff.

[quote name='Dolfinsfan']I am sure many of you already know this or may have posted already, but the DW saw this on the travel channel and we tried it last nite while packing. If you roll your clothes, it WILL save you space in your luggage. Reduced mine to almost half. It is not supposed to show wrinkles either when unpacked so we will see. Try it and see for yourself.
Hope this helps.
:)[/quote]

It definitely works, just make sure that your clothes are smoothed out when you roll them or you'll have creases when you unpack.

Another thing I do is wear my bulkiest pair of shoes on the plane, usually sneakers or boots, so that you don't have to find room for them in your suitcase. It makes going through security a bit of a hassle but it's totally worth it for the extra space!

[quote name='queenanneitis']I have no intention of giving up formal nights! As for packing, I'm going to take what I want and pay the price. I don't overpack but I'm not going to skimp either. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Marie51']I am going to still bring 2 suitcases and pay the airlines for the extra piece of luggage. I don't like it but I'd rather pay the extra $25 than not have my stuff with me.[/quote]

I'm with these two. Sure, I like to save money, but you know what else would save money? Not cruising at all! When the attempts to save money take all the fun out of the whole experience, I'd rather not do it. Therefore, I'd rather just spend and enjoy...

And EWWWWWW to the suggestion of rewearing socks and just turning them inside out!:eek:

Thanks for the tips. We are going to Europe in September for 2 weeks and we don't want to lug a lot of luggage around during our pre and post cruise stays. We are going to attempt to bring one piece of luggage each. We normally take 2 pieces and 1 carry-on each. We'll see if it'll work when we start packing. It just seems so difficult. It's not like going to the Caribbean. You have to bring layers of clothing to Europe. If anyone has any other tips they would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Cori']Thanks for all the good ideas , I always start out with good intentions to pack light, but somewhere along the way I loose sight of that. [/QUOTE]
Same here. It's the shoes that do me in, usually. And it isn't that I have to have a different pair for every outfit, but I am short and almost always wear a shoe with something of a heel. Except they tend to not look right with a swimsuit and cover-up. And hubby and I dance a bit of ballroom and many moves pretty much require the suede soles on our dancing shoes if we don't want to twist an ankle or fall over and break our necks!

Usually, we only wear our dancing shoes when we're going to be on a dance floor....but most of the floors on the ship are gentle on the suede soles, so I just figure my black dancing shoes as my formal night shoes, any more.

Over a year ago I decided I was going to streamline my clothes buying, though, by limiting myself only to things that were red, white, blue, black and tan. It's still a bugaboo trying to decide what to take and what not to take on a cruise, but at least I know just about everything goes with everything else.

I'll be practicing packing light this September....for my goal of figuring out how to make a 10-day trip to England next March, with a friend, with only one wheeled carry-on and a personal item (tote big enough to fit my travel purse plus some other stuff) that will fit under the plane seat. I have NEVER been able to pack that light, but I won't be dancing...so at least shoes shouldn't be a problem! *L*

[quote name='khuff7']Thanks for the tips. We are going to Europe in September for 2 weeks and we don't want to lug a lot of luggage around during our pre and post cruise stays. We are going to attempt to bring one piece of luggage each. We normally take 2 pieces and 1 carry-on each. We'll see if it'll work when we start packing. It just seems so difficult. It's not like going to the Caribbean. You have to bring layers of clothing to Europe. If anyone has any other tips they would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Check: [url]http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpacking.htm[/url] (with a link to a list). I am packing my bag now for a 6 week trip (moving in the week before I leave, so packing first as to not forget). I have a small internal frame pack. Key: Bringing 5 days worth of clothes, not 50. Lots of clothing specifically for travel (superlightweight shirts, that roll up sleeves, lightweight shorts, walking sandals). Make sure everything does double duty. For formal wear, bringing a lightweight dress, that I will shove at the bottom of my bag, and have pressed when I get there -- will wear pants and button up shirt the other nights (and wear both twice, as we are on 2 12 day cruises). You can definitely make it in one bag :) It just takes planning! Good luck!! And you will be SOO much happier dealing with transit in Europe not being weighed down by your bags. Bon voyage

I've tried, and I still can't pack light. I'm meeting my hubby in California while he's there on business, and because I'm flying without him, I'm limited to one 50 lb bag. He never checks when he flies, just carries on...so I sent him off today with a suitcase that weighs just under 70 lb, and I'm really hoping that I can keep mine under 50...it was at 47 lb already according to my bathroom scale, and I'm not quite finished packing. We are going to Vegas for 1 night, but other than that, I don't need to pack separate clothes for supper/evening like on a cruise. I've scheduled doing laundry twice in the 11 nights I'm away, I can't imagine packing less. My husband got teased by the check-in agent at the airport today, I guess super frequent fliers like him NEVER check bags...what a great hubby to drag my luggage through 3 states before he flies to meet me :) I don't know how the weight adds up so quickly.

We're going on a Med cruise in October and I plan to pack 1 suitcase each for DH and myself. We will each take a carry on with enough clothes for 2 days and medicines and personal items. If it doesn't fit into that - it won't go. I have no problems wearing something more than once - especially in the evening and we get free laundry with platinum.

I was all worried about fitting everything into a suitcase and keeping it under 50lbs. I called my airline and apparently I can still bring 2 suitcases 50lbs each and 2 carryons 22lbs each. If I can't get by with 144lbs of luggage I am doing something wrong. I was worried because it is a 12 day cruise and we are staying in vancouver overnight before the cruise.

[quote name='terri910']Same here. It's the shoes that do me in, usually. And it isn't that I have to have a different pair for every outfit, but I am short and almost always wear a shoe with something of a heel. Except they tend to not look right with a swimsuit and cover-up. And hubby and I dance a bit of ballroom and many moves pretty much require the suede soles on our dancing shoes if we don't want to twist an ankle or fall over and break our necks!

Usually, we only wear our dancing shoes when we're going to be on a dance floor....but most of the floors on the ship are gentle on the suede soles, so I just figure my black dancing shoes as my formal night shoes, any more.

Over a year ago I decided I was going to streamline my clothes buying, though, by limiting myself only to things that were red, white, blue, black and tan. It's still a bugaboo trying to decide what to take and what not to take on a cruise, but at least I know just about everything goes with everything else.

I'll be practicing packing light this September....for my goal of figuring out how to make a 10-day trip to England next March, with a friend, with only one wheeled carry-on and a personal item (tote big enough to fit my travel purse plus some other stuff) that will fit under the plane seat. I have NEVER been able to pack that light, but I won't be dancing...so at least shoes shouldn't be a problem! *L*[/quote]

I have started getting clothes ready for my cruise as well and I'm having a hard time with the shoe thing too. Gesh!

[quote name='DGB_KTB']I was all worried about fitting everything into a suitcase and keeping it under 50lbs. I called my airline and apparently I can still bring 2 suitcases 50lbs each and 2 carryons 22lbs each. If I can't get by with 144lbs of luggage I am doing something wrong. I was worried because it is a 12 day cruise and we are staying in vancouver overnight before the cruise.[/quote]

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just have 1 bag at maybe 88 pounds and 1 carryon at 35 pounds? I mean, since you're allowed 2 suitcases at 50, combine the two. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Erica

My wife and I manage to get everything into one carry-on each plus she takes a large purse and I take a Rick Steves tote bag on wheels. I always take a laptop and my tux. Each of us use an IBM X-22 laptop with a titanium body and don't take a separate computer bag. I use an Eagle Creek convertible travel pack and my wife uses an Outdoor Research wheeled carry-on. I try to put the heaviest stuff in the Rick Steves bag. All bags go onto the plane. We always hang the clothing up as soon as we get into the cabin and put the most wrinkled stuff in the bathroom when we shower so the steam works out the wrinkles. This system works well for both domestic and international travel. We each wash underclothing in the bathroom as required and use a travel clothesline if there is none provided or we need more space. I bring one or two small packets of powdered laundry detergent after 9/11 and TSA. We used to bring Woolite travel packets before that. I also usually have some pants and shirts laundered during the cruise. The Rick Steves one-bag method really does work, except for the Tux.

I read in this morning's paper that one airline is raising the cost of checking a second bag to $50. instead of $25. This is getting ridiculous.
You could almost go to WalMart and buy what you need soon by the time you get your bag to another location.

i ve just gone to LLBean and order d a couple of light weight
water shoes that ll double as sandle s..and throw on a pair of
sock s , they ll work great as walking shoe s..

now that delta is charging $50 for additional check-in luggage
it s time to do away with that 3rd piece where we normally
carry our nicer dinner wear..im sure the cruiseline s will understand
that we can only carry on so much..

those driving to the ports will have no problem..but, those who
fly in are really going to have a problem now..with a 50lb limit..the
wife is really going to skimp on her foo-foos and purchase them
at the destination s..

were going to have do some purchase of toiletries at POM..

• 2 weeks later...
Hooray! I had to change what port I would be sailing out of because of transportation reasons. Now, I'll be driving to Galveston. I just thought about it, I can use my 29" suitcase and pack it down! I'm looking forward to that.

Let me ask though before I buss open the champagne, I plan to haul my own luggage to my own room on the cruise, with that in mind, are there restrictions on weight requirements for cruises?

Erica

[quote name='Easy_Sailing']Hooray! I had to change what port I would be sailing out of because of transportation reasons. Now, I'll be driving to Galveston. I just thought about it, I can use my 29" suitcase and pack it down! I'm looking forward to that.

Let me ask though before I buss open the champagne, I plan to haul my own luggage to my own room on the cruise, with that in mind, are there restrictions on weight requirements for cruises?

Erica[/QUOTE]

No weight restrictions, but there is a size limit for carryons similar to an airline. The bag has to be 11 X 17 or less to fit in the scanner (but no length restriction)

Wife and I had two carryons and two backpacks...we never checked our luggage on the airport nor had to have anyone bring our stuff to our room, we did it ourselves.

That was TWO weeks worth of clothes....one 7 day cruise and then 7 days in disney world for our honeymoon.

We went to the dining room every night....even brought a tuxedo. We even had snorkeling equipment.

Yes, my wife came pretty close to crying hysterically when the flight stewardess told her we would have to check our carryons, but eventually, we were able to keep them on our flight.

We hope to do the same next summer! It can be done. No booze smuggled in our carryons. Did that at each port. :D

It can be done!!!!

[quote name='SEA SOUNDS']I am already thinking about how I am going to cut back and just bring 1 suitcase each. It is just myself and DH traveling and we usually each have a suitcase (under 50 lbs), a carry on, garment bag and a laptop carry case.

I really do not know how I can go with less. I think maybe this year I will forego the dressy nights and just eat buffet those nights. And shoes-----------------------oh my what am I gonna do?

What do you bring on your cruise? Have you or will you forget the dress up nights? It is hard to fold an evening gown and stick it into your suitcase, or even that little black dress????? An all those shoes......

Help!

SEA SOUNDS[/quote]

Simple really.....

Just do not pack any underwear!:eek:

[quote name='Drew B']I'm with these two. Sure, I like to save money, but you know what else would save money? Not cruising at all! When the attempts to save money take all the fun out of the whole experience, I'd rather not do it. Therefore, I'd rather just spend and enjoy...

And EWWWWWW to the suggestion of rewearing socks and just turning them inside out!:eek:[/QUOTE]

I heard that you can also rewear your underwear the same way.

Archived