Silver Moon Cruise Tours

2Canucks

If, for some reason, the cruise ship skips that port, do you lose your deposit?

Our ship was late arriving one time in Barbados. We finally got to the check in for the Silver Moon and we were given the option of a full refund, or they would pay for a taxi to catch up to our cat tour already in progress. They are very accomodating if the ship is late or if the port is missed for whatever reason.

Waterbug,

We got back to the bus at 2:30 and it was a short (maybe 5-7 min) ride back to the pier. At the pier there is some shopping I think but nothing great. I'm not sure if I'm getting my ports mixed up though as far as the shopping goes :eek: After awhile they all become a blur...lol You will love SM...we had a great time!

They have both the cruise terminal shopping (lots of shops inside the terminal building) and also a straw market type shopping area outside. Plenty of shopping at the Barbados pier for just about anything you are looking for.

waterbugohio,

You should be back by 3:00, but I'd leave plenty of time to get through the terminal/shops, walk the pier, board ship, wait on elevators or take the steps to get to your room, and take a shower. That always seems to take more time than you think. There is plenty of shopping in the terminal, so your time spent there is up to you.

nicunurse22595,

I'm not sure they do kayaking tours. You might have to contact them. I didn't see anything about kayaking, but I see they have jetskis and banana boats on some of their pictures on their website.

Shirley

• 3 weeks later...
...The crew and staff were exceptional and enjoyed chatting with us or answering questions. (Capitan Ben and his "first mate", who's name escapes me right now...

That would likely be Tony! Ben on left and Tony on right. We've taken this trip three times and it is one of our favorites.

345665947_fqTWp-Th.jpg

Has anyone taken this tour who has sailed on the NCL Jewel? We don't arrive until 9am and I'm not sure if we could make it to the docks by 9:30am. Do they provide transportation?

Your best bet is to email or call through their web site - just google Silver Moon Barbados or Ocean Adventure Barbados. They are very familiar with the cruise ships and a good part of their business comes through the cruise ships. So they'll be able to let you know if your cruise ship's schedule fits in with their schedule for the day - there isn't the guesswork or worry that you'll have with private excursions at some other places. They provide transportation and pick you up right at the cruise terminal for a short ride to a marina on the other side of the harbor.

Has anyone taken this tour who has sailed on the NCL Jewel? We don't arrive until 9am and I'm not sure if we could make it to the docks by 9:30am. Do they provide transportation?

I do know that the Silver Moon does contract through certain cruise lines, although I don't know if NCL is one. As said, it would be best to email them as they will know for sure if they can provide an excursion for you on the day you will arrive. If they are contracted through the cruise line, then they will not allow you to book independently, if they aren't, and they have space available, and can work around your scheduled docking time, then all will be fine. And good luck!

We did the Silvermoon II which is the smaller 12 person catamaran on 9/16. It was the most fun we have had and would do it again in a heartbeat. We emailed them and had to pay our deposit which was half of the fare (110 on a credit card and 110 cash on the catamaran) We were told to meet at cruise terminal 2 and a rep from Silvermoon picked us up by bus and took us to the pier where the catamaran was docked...very easy to get on and off. Two crew members...Ben was hot I must say. Very nice and informative. Kept us out of the rain and took us to very beautiful places...snorkled with turtles and then a ship wreck. Then a wonderful buffet of food. Got back to ship at about 2:45...awesome!!!

I am a little worried that my parents will have trouble getting on and off the catamaran. Will it be difficult for them?
My grandmother got aboard the catamaran when she was 90 and then again at the age of 93. The crew members will make sure she receives the help she needs on and off.

My wife Grace and I were one the SilverMoon II excursion that took place Tuesday am 9/30. It was $87.50 per person; we paid a one person deposit when booking online. It was quite simply the highlight of our excursions and trip !!

We walked off RCCL's Adventure of the Seas and through the small shopping "mall" at the Barbados docks. Within 15 minutes or so we were on a small bus with about 20 other folks and off for the 10 minute ride to the to the SilverMoon docks where you pay the balance of your fee. We soon boarded the simply amazing catamaran and were off .. via engine power. Once you get out past the docks the sails went up and the engine is turned off. I own a powerboat and was surprised how quiet it was sailing ! The boat itself is amazing; with plenty of room for the 20 people we had. In fact, it could most likely hold 30 with no problem. We noticed ALOT of other boats out there - all to swim with the turtles like us - and our vessel was the least crowded of all.

The captain was super. I forget his name but he looks alot like Charley Sheen. One of the crew named Mike gets in the water with everyone at all times and made sure we all got to pet/touch a sea turtle. They are beautiful creatures and being that close to them was a memory that will last a lifetime.

I highly recommend the local beer - Banks. The crew is constantly asking you if you need a drink, and they have plenty of anything and everything. I myself had 2 sodas and maybe 5-6 beers. The lunch was a ALOT better than one would expect on a boat, with fish, chicken, sides, and a super crisp and fresh garden salad. The food, like the boat and the crew, was better then expected. You might as well eat hearty; they have alot of food and you hate to see it thrown away. Id never had flying fish before and the chicken was perfectly cooked. The fresh water rinse off assures thet you are comfy with none of the normal salt water "stickyness."

We snorkled at a wreck site and before you know it, its time to head back. The ride is fun, and we remareked to eachj other that ifd we were gonna be in Barbados the next day we would have done the same tour again ... it was THAT good.

PurpleDog,

I am so excited after reading your review. We are booked with them in December and your statement "made sure we all got to pet/touch a sea turtle" is exactly what I wanted to hear. Of course the comment on drinks sounds good too. LOL Do you have any pics to share?

...Of course the comment on drinks sounds good too. LOL Do you have any pics to share?

Be sure to try their Rum Punch - one of the best I've ever had.

Picture link 1 - Feb 2007 Old boat original Silver Moon

Picture Link 2 - March 2007 - Old boat original Silver Moon

Picture link 3 - March 2008 - Current boat Silver Moon II (Also now have the Silver Moon III which is a bit larger). This boat is now often used for the smaller group sails (Max of 12) but can handle many more as it was originally used for the larger sails of up to 24 and can hold more than that.

Wow, I was surprised to learn that my wife and I only took a few photos the day of our turtle cruise with SilverMoon. We dont have an underwater camera ... so I dont have any photos of the turtles themselves. :( It was by far the best excursion we went on all week, and to me is and was with twice the price of $87.50 per person for the memories I have of the day.

I did manage to snap a photo of the boat however. ;)

Stunned .... rest assured that if you want to pet or touch a sea turtle, Ben and his crew make sure you get to do so. The turtles are SO amazing too see up close !! I could go snorkeling in that water every day of the week.

The boat looks small in the photo, but as I said, it could 30 people without you feeling crowded. My wife and I were on the left side of the boat near the front and had more than enough room for us and our 2 backpacks and beachtowels. Many enjoyed laying our on the "webbing" in the front and getting sun.

850286482_P1000694SilverMoon.jpg.9a1aed2781b36a010617dc83186cfec4.jpg

Gee ... the funny thing is that he and I look EXACTLY alike !! ;)

He - and the rest of the crew - project a casualness that is deceiving. You don't become- at least in the USA - a captain of a pay for hire vessel without alot of studying, alot of experience, and alot of work. He steers the boat most of the time with his bare feet, but I suspect there is alot more going on regarding the boat and its operation and safety in his mind than he lets on.

And btw, he has a very cool looking silver watch and I forgot to ask him the brand. Will someone ask him and let me know ?

Question for anyone who's taken the Silver Moon 5 hour lunch boat tour -- is there enough time to see Bridgetown afterwards? I believe the ship leaves Barbados at 5 pm. and it sounds like you get back to the dock between 2 and 3 pm. We've never been to Barbados before and would like to have a little time to see the island, but this excursion sounds too good to pass up!

Just a question about the different boats & their sizes. One only takes 12 people. Is that boat that much smaller? Would love the more intimate group, but worried that someone in our group (who is prone to seasickness) would notice the pitch/roll more on a smaller boat.

Question for anyone who's taken the Silver Moon 5 hour lunch boat tour -- is there enough time to see Bridgetown afterwards? I believe the ship leaves Barbados at 5 pm. and it sounds like you get back to the dock between 2 and 3 pm. We've never been to Barbados before and would like to have a little time to see the island, but this excursion sounds too good to pass up!

We haven't done so the past three times, just gone back to the ship. Now it does seem like we did get back a little bit early but I'm not sure it was early enough to spend much time in town. Frankly, we've gone into Bridgetown on 2 prior cruises and were not all that thrilled with the shopping there. There is a fair amount but I recall it being much less touristy oriented downtown than the other islands; but it has been a few years. Nothing like St. Martin or St. Thomas as far as shopping.

Just a question about the different boats & their sizes. One only takes 12 people. Is that boat that much smaller? Would love the more intimate group, but worried that someone in our group (who is prone to seasickness) would notice the pitch/roll more on a smaller boat.

The smaller boat (haven't been on the larger Silver Moon III) is a pretty good sized catamaran. I don't think there would be much of a difference between the two on how the seas effected the ride. But if you're concerned it might be a good question to call up, or email, and ask of them.

We have sailed on both catamarans and although they have a totally different layout, there isn't much of a difference in the size between the two. I actually asked once, as they looked so similar size wise, and was told there was very little difference between the two, just the layout is different. So, it wouldn't matter as for the motion which one you decided to book. And keep in mind, some days there is only one of them offered and you don't have a choice. Enjoy!

We have sailed on both catamarans and although they have a totally different layout, there isn't much of a difference in the size between the two. I actually asked once, as they looked so similar size wise, and was told there was very little difference between the two, just the layout is different. So, it wouldn't matter as for the motion which one you decided to book. And keep in mind, some days there is only one of them offered and you don't have a choice. Enjoy!

Just Curious....did you sail on the new Silver Moon III or were your experiences from the original Silver Moon (since sold and renamed) and the Silver Moon II? I'm curious what the Silver Moon III is like as we haven't sailed that one yet.

Archived