To bus tour or not to bus tour-that is the question....

I am going on Norwegian Gem 8/3 with my husband. I have questions about the port stops at Naples. Civitaveccia and Livorno. I have been to all these areas before but my husband has never been to Italy. However, I have never CRUISED here before. I am used to being somewhere for a week or more. I am really tense about getting back to the ship on time if I use trains-(go somewhere on our own) instead of an Official shore excursion. I have had wonderful experiences traveling by train in Europe, but my worst travel memory is because a train had unexpected problems and was 5 hours late! It changed plans for the next 2 days. However; I really hate big bus groups- I've done them before. On the other hand- in Florence, for example, does having a guide make any difference in what one gets to see? I understand that the lines there are impossible. Or am I really off the mark? Is it even possible to have ANY museum time on a one day Florence tour? Is it better to do something closer to port like Lucca or Pisa and save Florence for a longer visit another time? Has anyone used the ship's r/t self tour in these ports? How much time/money does r/t Civitaveccia-Rome cost on your own? Has anyone done it recently? I have also discovered that all of Norwegian's excursions to Pompeii (the excursion I wish to make there) allow just 2 hours at the site. Is that a reasonable amount of time for a first visit? Is there any time to split from the group when there or are you always together? Does anyone know of a tour to both Pompeii and Herculaneum that is reasonable? In guide books this looks really easy to do on your own by train, but then there is that aspect of having to be back onboard ship by X hour, that keeps bugging me! Has anyone done the ruins by train? I am so on the fence about all this! I think it is harder, too because I have seen more than my husband. We wonder just how much we should try to "cram" in on this cruise (which is a big annivesary trip) The last thing I want is for us to get so tense about seeing places, that we don't enjoy ourselves...Help! Jezzabell

I am going on Norwegian Gem 8/3 with my husband. I have questions about the port stops at Naples. Civitaveccia and Livorno. I have been to all these areas before but my husband has never been to Italy. However, I have never CRUISED here before. I am used to being somewhere for a week or more. I am really tense about getting back to the ship on time if I use trains-(go somewhere on our own) instead of an Official shore excursion. I have had wonderful experiences traveling by train in Europe, but my worst travel memory is because a train had unexpected problems and was 5 hours late! It changed plans for the next 2 days. However; I really hate big bus groups- I've done them before. On the other hand- in Florence, for example, does having a guide make any difference in what one gets to see? I understand that the lines there are impossible. Or am I really off the mark? Is it even possible to have ANY museum time on a one day Florence tour? Is it better to do something closer to port like Lucca or Pisa and save Florence for a longer visit another time? Has anyone used the ship's r/t self tour in these ports? How much time/money does r/t Civitaveccia-Rome cost on your own? Has anyone done it recently? I have also discovered that all of Norwegian's excursions to Pompeii (the excursion I wish to make there) allow just 2 hours at the site. Is that a reasonable amount of time for a first visit? Is there any time to split from the group when there or are you always together? Does anyone know of a tour to both Pompeii and Herculaneum that is reasonable? In guide books this looks really easy to do on your own by train, but then there is that aspect of having to be back onboard ship by X hour, that keeps bugging me! Has anyone done the ruins by train? I am so on the fence about all this! I think it is harder, too because I have seen more than my husband. We wonder just how much we should try to "cram" in on this cruise (which is a big annivesary trip) The last thing I want is for us to get so tense about seeing places, that we don't enjoy ourselves...Help! Jezzabell

It is all VERY easy to do on your own, just did it and I wouldnt have it any other way. We frequently were able to do much more than the ships excursions on the "lemmings" bus, for a SMALL fraction of the cost. Cost aside, I would still do it on my own.

Here is my review on my recent trip, my email is at the bottom of the review and I still have extensive information on all these ports including trains times etc. just ask!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43846

Jim

We did all the major ports on our own, too. But as you seem so nervous about catching trains and buses in foreign ports, perhaps you should consider either taking the On Your Own excursions that your ship may offer (just bus transpotation that drops you at a central place like near the Vatican in Rome that you return to at a set time) or else go to your ship's roll call here and see if anyone is looking for others to join their already set up private excursions. Another possibility is to join forces with experienced self-starters on your roll call that would not mind having you come along with them on the trains, etc.

There are pros and cons to either way - taking ships tours or doing it on your own. We always do own own thing, where ever possible.

For me being hearded around with 50 other people, and not having the freedom to decide exactly how to spend your time, being timed at each place, waiting for people late back to the bus ...all these things totally take the pleasure out of seeing the places.

Of course by taking bus and trains there is always a small risk you could get stuck and miss the ship, but I think as long as you allow a time buffer that is unlikely. Usually any public transport strikes are announced well in advance. I always carry enough cash that if a train was cancelled last minute we could take a taxi if we had to.

At Livorno we took the train to Pisa and Lucca, as we had already stayed in Florence on a previous trip. It was easy to do. and we had plently of time. I think you would be rushed to see Florence and Pisa and Lucca....Florence and Pisa might be possible, if you check the train times.

Good luck, I hope you have a wonderful time however you decide to spend your port days.

We're getting ready for our 4th Med cruise in October so we have done these ports several times. I love private tours, they give you the best value for your money and you generally see more, but we have also done ship tours and have been satisfied. In fact on our last trip to Naples we opted for the ship's dive down the Amalfi coast and when we returned we compared notes with the others in our group who had done Pompeii and the coast drive privately and we felt we had a better tour than they did. As far as missing the ship - I've never been the least concerned, but if you worry about it then the suggestion of "on your own" tours is a good one. One additional note - planning private tours can be time consuming and coordinating with fellow pax requires a considerable amount of work . There are times when it's just a lot easier and more relaxing to book a ship's tour.

Another possibility is to join forces with experienced self-starters on your roll call that would not mind having you come along with them on the trains, etc.
This is an excellent suggestion. We took one ship's tour on our Eastern Med cruise -- it was the only possibility to get to Rhodes from Marmaris in time -- and it definitely was the least enjoyable of any of our excursions. Go to your Roll Call board and find some obsessive (like me!) who's already done the legwork on screening the private tour guides. And if you're as fortunate as we were with our companions, you'll meet some wonderful people in the bargain. And whichever path you choose, enjoy it! :)

This is an excellent suggestion. We took one ship's tour on our Eastern Med cruise -- it was the only possibility to get to Rhodes from Marmaris in time -- and it definitely was the least enjoyable of any of our excursions. Go to your Roll Call board and find some obsessive (like me!) who's already done the legwork on screening the private tour guides. And if you're as fortunate as we were with our companions, you'll meet some wonderful people in the bargain. And whichever path you choose, enjoy it! :)

I was considering booking this excursion for my upcoming med cruise. I would really like to see Rhodes and the ship's tour seems to be the only reasonable way to get there. What didn't you like about this excursion?

All of these ports are do-able by public transport. Rome is very easy by train and there are many reports on this board on how to get to the station. We always get off at the San Pietro stop, which is before the main Termini station, and visit the Vatican first.

Naples station is further from the cruise port but you can get a tram there and then it is an easy ride to Pompeii. If you go for the cruise tour then I would say that 2 hours there would be enough for most people. There is very little shade and in the summer gets very very hot.

Livorno is a bit of a pain as you have to take the port shuttle then a local bus to the station - not difficult, but does tend to erode into your time. We have done Pisa and Livorno on separate occations but personally I would not try them both in one day by public transport. I know people who have done it but their time was very limited and with your very valid concerns about getting back to the ship I think you might be better to have a relaxing day in Pisa than rushing around Florence, which is about an hour each way extra on the train.

Livorno is actually quite a nice town to explore and shop in the large market, which is all we did on our last visit. Everything does shut about 2pm, though, so our plan for next time is to look at the market in the morning then go to Pisa in the afternoon.

Archived