NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

Our family just returned from a great West. Med. cruise on the Gem. Please be aware of the rigid dress code for dinner on the Gem....You may NOT wear shorts in any restaurant after 5:30pm except for the Garden Cafe and Blue Lagoon. This means that all speciality restaurants, and main dining rooms will not let you be seated in shorts. Jean are acceptable...

My husband and son wore nice, dress, over the knee shorts with a polo shirt (which is acceptable to visit the Vatican) and were NOT allowed to be seated in the main dining rooms. To "beat the system" and get my son his favorite food, ribs, in Tequilas...a friend loaned him long sweat pants to wear. He looked slouchy, but was allowed to eat in any restaurant for dinner with them on.

In the pre-cruise literature, NCL prides themselves on having areas to eat wearing "whatever." What they don't explain is that these areas are limited. There are only 2 places out of 10 that you can wear shorts and eat dinner on the Gem. On a 7 night cruise, you typically want to try other dining options than the 2 restaurants that allow shorts.

Our family just returned from a great West. Med. cruise on the Gem. Please be aware of the rigid dress code for dinner on the Gem....You may NOT wear shorts in any restaurant after 5:30pm except for the Garden Cafe and Blue Lagoon. This means that all speciality restaurants, and main dining rooms will not let you be seated in shorts. Jean are acceptable...

My husband and son wore nice, dress, over the knee shorts with a polo shirt (which is acceptable to visit the Vatican) and were NOT allowed to be seated in the main dining rooms. To "beat the system" and get my son his favorite food, ribs, in Tequilas...a friend loaned him long sweat pants to wear. He looked slouchy, but was allowed to eat in any restaurant for dinner with them on.

In the pre-cruise literature, NCL prides themselves on having areas to eat wearing "whatever." What they don't explain is that these areas are limited. There are only 2 places out of 10 that you can wear shorts and eat dinner on the Gem. On a 7 night cruise, you typically want to try other dining options than the 2 restaurants that allow shorts.

HAHAHAHAAHHAHA... Popcorn anyone?

• Administrators
When did this become news???? Come on now, really....dress codes are discussed all over this board and it is in the NCL Brochure. Simply amazing.

Plus this OP was specifically informed (when she asked about dress codes prior to her cruise) that shorts aren't okay for dinner in the dining rooms -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=796147

:rolleyes:

This is what you said after you were told by CC members that shorts would not be allowed in the main dining rooms/specialty restaurants:

Thanks so much for the answers! I can always count on the CC members to have the answers...

Mmmm hmmm....so you can count on us for good answers but you don't follow the advice given. No one to blame but yourself. :rolleyes:

If you read the catalogs as well as any other literature or read the Freestyle dailies, it is very clear shorts are not allowed in the dining rooms at dinner. I can imagine your surprise, but it is pretty clear.

Other than that, you had a good vacation, that is the important thing. Thanks for reminding those here about the shorts.

Nita

"RIGID dress code" ?!!!!!!"

First people complain because they aren't allowed to wear jeans to dinner-- and, now they can.

Now-- you're complaining because you're not allowed to go into a nice eating establishment wearing SHORTS? :eek:

Let's keep lowering the bar folks-- until NCL becomes a trailor park with a rutter.

rolleye0014.gif

I never saw anything in the NCL literature that said passengers can wear anything they want to eat in any of the DRs. I agree with the above poster, how is it possible that this young man didn't bring even 1 pair of long pants?? NCL has the most liberal dress code of any of the major cruise lines, but that doesn't mean they have no standards. What's next -- robes and pajamas in the DRs?? I would hardly call it "rigid" to preclude shorts. Where does the OP and her family eat at home that qualifies as a nice restaurant and allows shorts?? Maybe TGIFridays, but I wouldn't call that a nice restaurant.

Plus this OP was specifically informed (when she asked about dress codes prior to her cruise) that shorts aren't okay for dinner in the dining rooms -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=796147

:rolleyes:

LOL Got her. What I can't imagine is after being told this, no long pants were packed for the son. Did she think the poster on the other thread was making up the dress code?

Some things are just not going to go like you "expect", but you should never let that ruin your day much less your cruise. Sounds like you didn't let it bother you so much. I have seen others though that if things don't go as they expect will let it ruin their cruise.

I have found quite the opposite on NCL. NCL wins hands down among mass market cruise lines in the "shabbily dressed passengers" category.

"RIGID dress code" ?!!!!!!"

First people complain because they aren't allowed to wear jeans to dinner-- and, now they can.

Now-- you're complaining because you're not allowed to go into a nice eating establishment wearing SHORTS? :eek:

Let's keep lowering the bar folks-- until NCL becomes a trailor park with a rutter.

rolleye0014.gif

I can not understand why people would be so rude. The poster was just stating her experience. We live in NY and nice shorts are allowed in just about every restaurant in NYC as well as the Hamptons. I am pretty sure that would not qualify for a "trailor park"

This post could be one of the funniest that I have ever heard.

NCL has long been accused of not being rigid enough in their dress code. People say that NCL's Freestyle system is ruining traditional cruising.

Others believe that if you wear jeans or polo shirts to cruise dinners you are a slob.

Now we have an exact 180 degree turn??

The most hillarious part is that this OP was specifically TOLD on these boards that shorts are a no-no and she is still livid that shorts weren't allowed?? How blind can you be??

(and besides, who doesn't pack at least one pair of long pants for a vacation??? Especially a cruise!)

She is so proud of herself for "beating the system" with the sweats idea. If she had followed the information that she had been given, she wouldn't have had to attempt to beat the system.

She didn't like the answer that she got and so she decided to ignore it. Then when she got caught attempting to circumvent the rules, she wants to place the blame on NCL. GROW UP LADY... it is your own fault that that happened because you choose to ignore what you didn't want to hear... take responsiblity for your own mistake.

I tried to find the dress code information from the NCL website, but the website is temporarily down.

I was sure before I opened this thread it wouild have been started by a one post wonder. Remarkable the OP did her homework, new the answer, and decided to ignore the information. Rigid :D :D

My I suggest the POAM for her next cruise. Shorts now allowed in all restaurants except the Bistro and one main dining room. Want to bet coming to a NCL ship near you :eek:

Surfgirl is on a personal mission to put an end to the Freestyle Dress code. She doesn't like the fact that people have a choice not to dress up because it ruins the "ambiance" for her. She is self-centered and more interested in what other people are wearing than having a good time with the people that she is with. Most people on this board simply ignore her, but her comments are always worth a good laugh.

what a shame for her! Where I live...many people look pretty darn good in their shorts!

Sure people can look good in shorts. And nice shorts would definitely have been nicer than sweat pants. I wouldn't wear sweat pants anywhere on a cruise, but that's just me.

Anyway... the rules are the rules. Freestyle doesn't mean "no rules"... it seems to be a misconception. And like people are saying, the OP had the information beforehand... who else can possibly be to blame?

I have found quite the opposite on NCL. NCL wins hands down among mass market cruise lines in the "shabbily dressed passengers" category.

All the cruise lines are lowering their dress codes so, if what you say is true, NCL won't be alone for long. On "Suggested" formal night on the Explorer last week there were polo shirts, jeans, pant suits and button down shirts with no tie in the dining rooms. Nothing was said. One crew member even told me that the dress code is just a suggestion now. (there were also shorts in the dining room almost every night)

If what I experienced last week on RCI on formal night, then I will take "shabbily dressed" any day. The level of rudeness and snobiness of a person was directly related to how much they dressed up.

But I did enjoy formal night. It was a lot of fun to sit there and laugh at the goddy dresses that some of those people wore. They way some of them were obviously dressing up to pretend to be something they were not. One of the best comments of the night about the dress up was: "are we at the circus with all these women in these clown outfits....lol)

With the possible exception of Cunard, calling any cruise line's dress code "rigid" is downright laughable. Dress codes have become more and more and more relaxed (not saying whether I like it or not) to the point that pretty darn soon it will be strictly "come as you are". They are just giving the people what they want. Gotta fill those ships!! :p

Archived