NCL Dress Code---Rigid...NOT Freestyle!! Don't Wear Shorts!!

gnial131

Wow,

How nasty is this thread?

A. This thread is nastier than Brittany Spears cooter.

B. This thread is nastier than a frenchman's armpit.

C. This thread is nastier than a dead dogs butt.

D. All of the above.

not if you are wearing shorts to dinner at one of the restaurants....

but you won't have a problem with me....I'll be in my kilt with sandals...

I'd be real careful with the Tartan I chose someone might object if it's the McDonald colors.

Nickelarski:D

i've posted this many times. but i'll post it for those who didn't see it from me.

THE WORSE YOU (anyone...not the OP...or any other posters for that matter) DRESS, THE BETTER I LOOK.

...simple as that.

Hey Zone---where the heck you been hiding?

oh i've been around. lurking mainly. have grown tired of the threads repeating over and over (you know which topics). i'm actually trying to figure out my cruise situation for 2009. inlaws (from the philippines) will be here may/june. they want to do alaska. apparently in the philippines...NCL has a HUGE reputation out there. in fact, i suggested (hold your breaths)...Princess or HAL...because they go up to Sitka...but they said "oh no...we heard that NCL is THE BEST!" hey...i didn't give them the kool aid. but better for my wife and i. we get to keep building latitudes into the gold member.

but...an alaskan cruise doesn't have the beach and sun...so i'm hoping DW and i can sail out of NYC in Aug 2009...i don't care where.

ALSO IN OTHER NEWS: it's probably obvious...but i had to ask NCL anyway. if you sail Star Cruises you won't get to add one of those cruises to your latitudes total...bummer. parent company...fly your butt all the way over there...and not get latitudes credit. oh well. however, DW and i do want to sail Star Cruises - 7 day Thailand or whatever they call that itinerary.

You see that is where you have me all wrong...

1.) I dressed according to the minimum dress code last week. In fact, I was not going to formal night on the Explorer until a crew member encouraged me to go. I told him: "the best that I have is sweater, button down shirt, dress kahkis and tennis shoes." His response to me: "that is fine, that meets the guidelines and besides, the dress code is only a suggestion." So I went... wore the same outfit both days...

2.) I believe that a dress code should be followed. NCL says no shorts and so no shorts are to be worn and that should be followed, no questions asked. BUT, at the same time, NCL says that Resort Casual (Polo shirts) are perfectly acceptable. BUT, some people want to try and push that further by intimidating NCL cruisers into trying to wear more than they need to BECAUSE they personally don't like the Freestyle Dress Code. To hide behind the "ambiance" excuse is just trying to justify the real motive.

NCL has been very successful with the new dress code and in fact, it is spreading to the other lines.

I still have never understood why people who hate the NCL dress code and the optional formal code still want to sail on NCL. If you want to sail on NCL, accept the dress code and move on. If you don't want to accept it, then go elsewhere....don't try to change it.

3.) If you have read posts on threads where people have asked about the dress code, you will see that I have always said the same thing: "if you want to dress up to the nines... then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place. But if you would rather stay in resort casual for dinner, then go for it and enjoy, you won't be out of place." The idea of choosing how YOU dress is the hallmark of NCL Freestyle. It allows each person to choose how they want to dress.

4.) I decided to give you a taste of your own medicine and you took the bait. Do you think that I actually sat there and laughed at people?? But basically everytime you come on here, you like to make fun of people who don't dress up, so I just reversed the role on you... and you didn't disappoint me... (Unfortunately, I do have to stand by my rudeness statement however.)

and as far as your comment about people ignoring me.... today I have received 3 personal messages from people congratulating me for what I said to you. How many have you received??

Nicely put, I like what you say and it does not need to be private!

surfgirl, I don't want to be mean but you posted this

And.. I bet a lot of those people dressed in "goddy" (ahem...I think you mean, "gaudy") dresses,

and then this

If you come to dinner in the nude, could you at least sit on your napkin for hygene purposes? ;)

If you want to correct somebody's spelling don't you think you should check your own?

i've posted this many times. but i'll post it for those who didn't see it from me.

THE WORSE YOU (anyone...not the OP...or any other posters for that matter) DRESS, THE BETTER I LOOK.

...simple as that.

Stand next to me and you will look like a million bucks:D :cool:

"Character is who you are when no one is watching"

But everyone is watching here and I'll bet lots of these folks have "Character" and they don't care who's watching.:D

Another opinion. How about "treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated"

Good Night

I am roaring at this thread! Very entertaining. Didn't like personal stuff between SurfGirl and Dagwood (sorry) but for most of them I was practically on the floor laughing. You can bet I am going to think about shorts and be laughing when I go to dinner on my Oct cruise.

This thread has taught me the key to maximizing the entertainment derived from message board participation. The formula:

1. Show up,

2. Post an off-the-wall observation (ideally laced with indignation about a well known, yet “controversial,” NCL policy),

3. Sit back, and

4. Watch the fur fly!

Too much fun! BTW, will someone please pass the popcorn?

Didn't you say earlier you would be 'sans clothing'

I don't think I ever actually said that I would come to dinner nude...I may have implied it...

but I said

I am a nudist can I go nude?

and that I shower before dinner....

but I assure you that it would be absolutely unappetizing if I was nude.....I would be much better off in shorts....

"Character is who you are when no one is watching"

But everyone is watching here and I'll bet lots of these folks have "Character" and they don't care who's watching.:D

Another opinion. How about "treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated"

Good Night

I don't believe that I have insulted anyone here. I have not done any name calling, therefore, my character is still good! :D :D :D

It all boils down to choices. You can choose to wear shorts and choose a casual dining venue. Or, choose a formal dining venue and choose not to wear shorts. No big deal. And if you do wear shorts to a formal venue, and you get in, no skin off my nose, I can avert my eyes if you're appearance is too offensive. (But if you have cute knees I might wink at you!) Live and let live. Dine and let dine!

Personally, I choose to fit in, I don't wear sequins to Denny's and I don't wear flip flops to LeCirque. But for some it's more of a game. "Let's see what we can get away with!"

I promise I will not wear short shorts but I will wear the longest shorts I can.

Nick

As long as they go down to your shoes :D

I've finished popcorn, dinner, after dinner mints, coffee and liqueur, and now I'm off to bed.

Need my beauty sleep to get up early in the morn' to continue reading this hilarious thread before heading out to work wearing my capris - it's Friday dress down wear at work.

P.S. Fancy restaurants here in Bermuda prefer gentlemen to wear long pants and collared shirts, but some will allow Bermuda shorts or similar as long as collared shirt is worn. Luckily our 14 yo DS LIKES wearing collared shirts.

While on cruise both DH and DS always wear long pants when we go to dinner, and DS often changes into shorts after dinner before joining other kids at teens club. No problemo.

It boggles the mind how a discussion about following a dress code can be distorted into assumptions that I believe everyone should wear the crown jewels to dinner. :D

The issue at hand is about following the NCL dress code. It says "no shorts" therefore, nobody should be allowed in the restaurant wearing shorts.

For the record, I prefer Windstar over NCL. But, guess what? You can wear khakis and button down shirts to dinner on Windstar ships! There's also no assigned seating.. and no shorts.

I sail NCL because it goes out of NY. I hate to fly... which is what I have to do in order to take a Windstar cruise. NCL is more convenient.

Overall, I enjoy NCL. But I don't like it when people are SELFISH and violate the dress code showing up for dinner looking like slobs. How difficult is it for a man to put on a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt? How hard is it for a woman to wear a nice pair of cotton resort pants, sandals and a pretty top?

Excuse me? How did the crown jewels get involved? You stated that part of what you pay for on a cruise is ambiance and I simply stated that if the ambiance you're looking for is people all dressing for dinner, you're not going to find it on NCL. :)

Let's be fair here...the NCL promotional material does say:

" You can also dress the way you want"

Yep, you certainly can. You can wear shorts to the buffet...just not to the main dining room. No where does it say you can "dress the way you want" to all venues aboard the ship. However, if you choose to "dress the way you want" there are places onboard you can dine.

This is the greatest OP bust I've ever read.

Dinner ambiance is alive and well. Not worrying about what people are wearing and minding ones own business will help a whole lot. I suggest taking dinner in ones cabin until the meds kick in.

Archived