Alcohol

gmatthew

My oldest daughter(20), (she will be 21 in Feb), is concerned that she will not be able to buy any alcohol on board the Norwegian Sun, does your card have DOB or anything on it?. BTW we are from Scotland where our drink laws are different.:confused:

I don't recall if the cards have our DOB on them. Her passport should have that information, should she be required to show proof of age.

I would only be concerned about her carrying an ID if she looks young for her age. And, if she's with a parent when she orders a beer or cocktail no one should question her.

I know I took a Princess cruise, as well as a Celebrity cruise a few months before my 21st, and both cards noted whether you were of age.

I won't be traveling on Norwegian until 10/31 and am already over 21, so I am not sure if theirs is any different.

I believe all NCL room cards for guests under 21 have a hole punched in them so they are not allowed to purchase alcohol.

I don't believe that there will be any problem with you ordering drinks using your card to pay with and her drinking them with you.

You cannot purchase alcohol on any NCL ship if you are not 21. The card they give you to make onboard purchases will be denied if you try to buy a drink at any bar. It will indicate to the bartender that you are under 21.

You cannot purchase alcohol on any NCL ship if you are not 21. The card they give you to make onboard purchases will be denied if you try to buy a drink at any bar. It will indicate to the bartender that you are under 21.

That is correct. I traveled with my 20 yo son and had no problem ordering him a beer as long as I was paying for it with my card.

On my first cruise, which was RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, I was instructed that I would not need my photo ID and I could use my roomkey as ID for any purchases. They were putting holes in those of minors - mine was not punched as I am 28 years old. I was refused service on many occasions without going to my room to get my passport. I eventually complained to the Food and Beverage director and he told me this never should happen as they can call guest relations and verify the physical characteristics associated with the card if they do not believe you are 21 (height, weight, age and the photo taken when you initially board). Needless to say I was not very pleased with the run-around, however I noticed my account was noted and I *never* had a problem again after I spoke to the director.

If you are ok with her drinking, the best course of action is to have her switch cards with your wife and have her tip a buck or two everytime she buys a drink.. This will keep the servers happy and everyone off her back.. When I was underage we did this switch method with great success..

The Point of Sale system tells servers if the person is underage or not... Doing a card switch should bypass this system.. I'm 23... I look 18 and using this method I have never had a problem... Tipping always makes things easier and the servers will remember her..

Chris Connolly

If you are ok with her drinking, the best course of action is to have her switch cards with your wife and have her tip a buck or two everytime she buys a drink.. This will keep the servers happy and everyone off her back.. When I was underage we did this switch method with great success..

The Point of Sale system tells servers if the person is underage or not... Doing a card switch should bypass this system.. I'm 23... I look 18 and using this method I have never had a problem... Tipping always makes things easier and the servers will remember her..

Chris Connolly

Our grand daughter will be getting married this summer on a cruise ship (not sure what line yet) Her then husband will be just under 21, but she will be 22 so has already decided she will just buy drinks for him. He looks about 30 and she looks about 18. As has been stated, room cards indicate legal age or not. NMNita

Archived