NCL questions

sportsmum

I am just searching out NCL cruises and hoping help. I have heard less than flattering things but have decided maybe we should find out for ourselves instead of listening to others (okay, midnight/chocolate buffets helped too!)

1. Some ships are 3* and some are rated higher. I have not found out where to find these ratings. Anyone know which ships are a higher standard?

2. Entertainment: Veendam had one show only per night. Princess had a song/dance show and a comedian/magician/hypnotist alternative nightly. What does NCL offer in this way?

3. 24 hour buffet? 24 hour room service?

4. Adult pool area? Not 'adult', but kid free areas.

Thanks for any help you can offer, I hope I did not offend.

I am just searching out NCL cruises and hoping help. I have heard less than flattering things but have decided maybe we should find out for ourselves instead of listening to others (okay, midnight/chocolate buffets helped too!)

1. Some ships are 3* and some are rated higher. I have not found out where to find these ratings. Anyone know which ships are a higher standard?

2. Entertainment: Veendam had one show only per night. Princess had a song/dance show and a comedian/magician/hypnotist alternative nightly. What does NCL offer in this way?

Check out the Dawn. ****+ http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/shipInformation.html?shipCode=DAWN

1. Some ships are 3* and some are rated higher. I have not found out where to find these ratings. Anyone know which ships are a higher standard?.

I wouldn't worry so much about reviews. More negative reviews are always posted than positive because it is human nature.

The "better" NCL ships in my opinion are the newer ones... the ones built specifically for Freestyle. I would look at the Pearl, Gem, Jewel, Jade, Dawn and Star as the top ones. The Spirit and Sun are nice too. The others are older and smaller. Personally the Dawn is my favorite.

2. Entertainment: Veendam had one show only per night. Princess had a song/dance show and a comedian/magician/hypnotist alternative nightly. What does NCL offer in this way?.

Usually two shows a night (7:30 & 9:30). They usually have 3 production shows ("Music of Andrew Lloyd Weber" for example) during a 7 day cruise. If they have a a special performer like a singer or comedian, there may be only one show at 8:30. There are also other shows (comedians, game shows, etc) later during most evenings in one of the big lounges. (production shows in the theater.)

3. 24 hour buffet? 24 hour room service?.

No 24 hour buffet. On most ships, the main buffet is open until midnight. (usually hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. from 9-midnight.) They are also open most of the day, usually closing a couple hours here and there to switch over from one meal to the next.

I do believe room service is 24 hours a day.

The larger ships do have a pool in the spa area, but this has an extra fee associated with it. On the Dawn and Star, that is the only option. I believe the newer ships like Pearl and Gem do have an adult pool.

Hope this helps.

Hello sportsmum. Are the Flames going all the way this year? Lets hope so. My Leafs will be bottom dwellers again.

It would help if we knew which NCL ship you are looking at, each ship is a little different, but there are generalizations.

I would read the reviews from past cruises here on this board. Read both the good and bad, but read both between the lines alittle. This is were the ratings generally come from, look under reviews at the top.

As previously stated there are usually 2 shows per night, sometimes only 1 special show at 8:30. If there are two shows 7:30 & 9:30 they are the same show repeated. The entertainment sounds similar with broadway song/dance shows or comedy or magic etc. plus many games and some late night activities, some ships offer late night karoke.

No 24 hr bufett, but there is room service available 24 hrs, or a small diner type restaurant known as the Blus Lagoon that is 24 hrs.

Some ships ie: the Gem had two pools beside each other, one adult only. Most ships have a kid pool area and 1 main pool that is open to all. some late night entertainment is adult only.

Hope this helps

I would just search on here for the ship/itinerary you're looking at. There are so many wonderful choices! We took our 4 children on the Star 2 years ago, and it exceeded my expectations. I didn't think the menu choices were as good as my experiences on Carnival, however, that was 2 years ago. We are going on the Spirit in April minus children and I'm so excited. I think the thing is, as you're skimming the reviews and posts, are the people "keeping it real"? Now everyone has a right to their opinion, but did something like losing at Bingo ruin their entire cruise? Did something happen that was not the cruiseline's fault that they're bitter about, like blaming weather? And are they comparing everything to a previous cruise? Go into it knowing that things can go wrong, be flexible, and I'm sure you'll discover it's been a vacation of a lifetime!

Are you thinking of one particular ship or a specific itinerary?

1-go to the review section here on CC and you will find the professional critic ratings

2-only one show per night but lots of activities in the lounge later in the evening. offically though, there is just one actually show. It will be available twice each night.

3-no 24 buffet; Blue Lagoon or the sprots bar, whatever will serve pretty close to 24 if not 24.

4-some of the ships do have adults only pools or kids only pools: not always are the rules enforced.

As for reviews: take them with a grain of salt. Yes, the older ships will not offer a lot of glitz but the newer ships can stand up to just about any line and offer so many dining choices as well as activities.

Nita

So far I am leaning towards the Spirit in January. This is because it sails out of New Orleans and I have never been there. The itinerary is similar to the Princess cruise we took 2 years ago, but we just want to get away without the boys. I believe the Dawn sails out of there as well.

That is why a kid free zone is important to us. Not that we don't like kids, just when we vacation without them I feel guilty if I am around others all the time!

I was looking at the freestyle dining options. Are the restaurants all without extra surcharges? That sounds like fun.

Flames will make a good run for it this year. We cheer for the Habs though (our Eastern roots showing)! The boys hockey preseason starts next week although we are still in full swing with All Star baseball and golf. Sportsdad and I get one week a year to take a break so I appreciate all the help.

So far I am leaning towards the Spirit in January. This is because it sails out of New Orleans and I have never been there. The itinerary is similar to the Princess cruise we took 2 years ago, but we just want to get away without the boys. I believe the Dawn sails out of there as well.

That is why a kid free zone is important to us. Not that we don't like kids, just when we vacation without them I feel guilty if I am around others all the time!

I was looking at the freestyle dining options. Are the restaurants all without extra surcharges? That sounds like fun.

Flames will make a good run for it this year. We cheer for the Habs though (our Eastern roots showing)! The boys hockey preseason starts next week although we are still in full swing with All Star baseball and golf. Sportsdad and I get one week a year to take a break so I appreciate all the help.

The NCL Dawn sails out of New York in the summer and Miami in the winner.

Some restaurants have a surcharge. According to one poster here they are as follows:

Le Bistro $15

Cagney's $20

Sushi Bar $15

Chin-Chin $15

Teppanyaki $25

Mongolian Hot Pot $15

Mama's Italian $10

sportsmum - when we went to Alaska on the Star in '06, one of the last "meetings" they have, they tell you how much meat they cooked, eggs, etc and they also told us that of our group of 2000 on that particular voyage, 700 were teenagers or younger. I'd like to know where the heck they hid them all week! I remember seeing several at the buffet when we left Seattle when a majority of people were out on the pool deck but I doubt if I remember seeing a total of 50 the rest of the entire week. Of course, one doesn't spend a lot of time in a lounge chair by the pool on the Alaskan itinerary :D. By the same token, I was probably guilty of looking for whales, eagles, waterfalls, glaciers and real hills (as opposed to the land in Louisiana) instead of paying attention to who may have been around me. Simply put, I wasn't looking for how many kids were travelling with us and consequently, I did't see many. :)

The NCL Dawn sails out of New York in the summer and Miami in the winner.

Some restaurants have a surcharge. According to one poster here they are as follows:

Le Bistro $15

Cagney's $20

Sushi Bar $15

Chin-Chin $15

Teppanyaki $25

Mongolian Hot Pot $15

Mama's Italian $10

I should have added these restaurants are on the Jewel not the Dawn. (You were asking about the Jewel right?) :o

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT THE SPIRIT IN FEB 2009 IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO NEW ORLEANS GET THERE ON THE FRIDAY BEFORE THE SHIP LEAVES (2/20/09) IT IS THE WEEKEND BEFORE MARDI GRAS!!! IT IS ALOT OF FUN!! I AM FROM NEW ORLEANS ANYONE SHOULD SEE THE MARDI GRAS AT LEAST ONCE!!!The Friday before mardi gras is all the super crews and the best parades!!

Hi there,

We went on a Boston-Bermuda cruise a couple of years ago, and it was so bad that it's nearly put us off cruising for good. It was on NCL, and the ship wasn't great. It was pretty small. There were 2 tiny pools, one of which was closed the entire time (closed, yet with water in it and no explanation as to why it was closed)

The one pool that was open was absolutely over-run with unsupervised, badly behaved kids (not the ship's fault, admittedly) but perhaps if they opened the other pool, the rest of us could have enjoyed it. Requests to the staff were met with utter bewilderment when people complained about the screaming kids everywhere.

The drinks were the most watered down drinks i've ever had, and any requests to make it stronger was met with attitude.

The shows were hokey and boring, the food was just so-so and the rooms were like coffins. They didn't even have anything good on the tv's in the rooms, I think my husband and I watch like 24 hours of Law and Order. We never once saw our room guy, and notes left for him went ignored (we asked for more towels, more water) yet we were forced into tipping him at an outrageous rate.

All in all, if we ever do go on a cruise again (and we are considering it) we will never go on another NCL cruise.

Hi there,

We went on a Boston-Bermuda cruise a couple of years ago, and it was so bad that it's nearly put us off cruising for good. It was on NCL, and the ship wasn't great. It was pretty small. There were 2 tiny pools, one of which was closed the entire time (closed, yet with water in it and no explanation as to why it was closed)

The one pool that was open was absolutely over-run with unsupervised, badly behaved kids (not the ship's fault, admittedly) but perhaps if they opened the other pool, the rest of us could have enjoyed it. Requests to the staff were met with utter bewilderment when people complained about the screaming kids everywhere.

The drinks were the most watered down drinks i've ever had, and any requests to make it stronger was met with attitude.

The shows were hokey and boring, the food was just so-so and the rooms were like coffins. They didn't even have anything good on the tv's in the rooms, I think my husband and I watch like 24 hours of Law and Order. We never once saw our room guy, and notes left for him went ignored (we asked for more towels, more water) yet we were forced into tipping him at an outrageous rate.

All in all, if we ever do go on a cruise again (and we are considering it) we will never go on another NCL cruise.

I don't get it??? If you definitely aren't interested in NCL, why are you on the NCL board? Please don't take this wrong...I'm really curious. :confused:

Hi there,

new poster, always love to read those reviews: boy, you cruised 2 years ago, a small ship to Bermuda (did you know all cruise line use small ships and usually older ones for Bermuda, or did 2 years ago) You were not forced to tip your cabin steward, you could have asked to have the tips removed, but of course this can only be done after an attempt is made to rectify a problem. Nothing on tV: why would anyone cruise to watch TV, especially 24 hours a day? We do watch movies from time to time, of which there is a list in your cabin as to when and what is playing...The room guy as you call him is normally called a cabin steward and could be a gal as well. Were you aware the tips go to many different people, not just that guy......!!!!

As for watered down drinks, come on, you live in Boston, you know how expensive drinks can be: what do you mean you asked to have them made stronger and were met with an attitude? Did you think they would give you another shot for the same price?

Ship pools are normally on the small side, especially the smaller ships. The entertainment, well this is a matter of personal opinion, but it isn't met to be Broadway production quality or Las Vegas style.

I don't think it is just NCL, I have a feeling cruising is not your thing. Try an all inclusive where drinks are included, but don't expect great TV or wonderful nightly shows.....

Nita

Hi there,

Let's see... two years ago... The Norweigan Crown perhaps?? That ship was the smallest and oldest ship in the NCL Fleet. About half the size of the Spirit, which the OP is looking at. The Crown is now gone. The next smallest ship doing Bermuda is the Majesty. It is leaving the fleet at the end of the year.

To decide that one cruise line is not a good cruise line based on one cruise on one of their two oldest and smallest ships just does not make much sense.

Using your logic, I guess since I didn't like my first cruise on RCI "Explorer of the Seas," I should not cruise that line again? Right?

We just finished an Alaskan cruise on HAL and it will take a great price/itinerary to get us back on that line. Nothing to do with the Noro outbreak, just general attitude and some pretty specific incidents. But never say never, right?

That's one of the reasons I am asking these particular questions about NCL. I am wondering if it's the small ship that didn't like us or that we suit a bigger ship. The Big Red Boat was small but we were with babies at the time and bedtime was early for all!!

I thank you all for the input and think that if our daughter is home for Christmas to babysit we will give NCL a try.

Hi there,

This is coming from a person who never cruised in their life (first one next mo!). Um, but it seems to me that perhaps it's not the NCL that you didn't like...but the ship. That ship you took seems awfully small and old. Just because you didn't like your particular ship, doesn't mean that Norwegian is like that as a whole. A bigger and newer ship probably would have done you much better. We're traveling on the Dawn next mo., and one of the first things I wanted to be sure was "how big/small the ship was and it's age." for me, there's no way I'm sailing on a tiny old tug boat.

The rooms are like coffins because that's how it is on a cruise. If you want a huge room w/ walking space, a cruise is probably not for you. It seems like you liked to spend alot of time in your room trying to watch tv...again, perhaps a cruise just isn't a right fit for you. And something more like a resort or extravagant hotel is more up your alley. ??

We loved the Crown and were disappointed to find we were on one of her last cruises. The best thing about going to Bermuda on a small ship, is we were able to dock in Hamilton. I've been on big and small ships, but I've never run into the problems this person had. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw and the cabin person doing your cleaning.

Archived