D Day Beahes

golfers3

Back in the Renaissance days we were in Le Havre and deliberately avoided the ship's tour to the Beaches precisely because of the travel time to and fro. We decided to take a separate land trip to Normany, which we did the following year.

My rationale is not just the travel time on the bus but the limited time you have at the site. We spent three days in the Beaches area and saw as much as we wanted to. (Yes, if we'd had more time we could have filled it but three days was good! Two hours is not. Not for us.) We knew that we couldn't sufficiently see the area on a ship's tour.

Readers here and on the yahoo board know that I am particularly averse to long road trips to get to a major site! I'd rather have real time there ... So just know my bias.

But the whole Beaches area is so fascinating that I consider it a waste to drive for hours to spend a couple of hours there.

If you never think you'll get back to the area, then it may be worth it to you. But we loved our 10 day tour from Paris to Rouen to the Beaches to Oranges ... and etc. It was a wonderful trip.

Archived