Carnival Victory

JLJS_NY

We were on the Victory - Charleston to Nassau cruise last year. At the end of our cruise, the ship went in for refurb. We were both surprised at that because the ship seemed great during our trip. I will agree with the OP that the steaks in the dining room are not the same as you might expect in a $50-100/meal restaurant but very good none-the-less. We had zero problems or issues and, now that the ship has been up-dated, I can't immagine how great she must be.

I've been on the Explorer of the seas and the Miracle twice. Many years ago on the Mardi Gras. The food , shows , staff. were all doing their best to please everyone I guess its hard to be perfect all the time. I could have fun on a rainy camping trip.

This August's cruise will be our third visit to Saint John. It's a warm, friendly city. It's so nice to disembark and not be deluged by tour operators, hair braiders, etc. They had a nice tented area for shopping right at the pier - I don't like to haggle, and there's no haggling here. Really good seafood restaurants; we've been to Steamer's (lobster bisque is great) and Grannan's. City Market is an indoor farmer's market with food and crafts. Last year we had to stop by to buy a 3-pound bag of Canada mints. They were gone before we returned to New York!

The first time we visited, we took the one-hour horse-drawn trolley tour and just walked around town. Lovely parks. The next time, we walked the Harbour Passage. This year we're going to try to walk to Reversing Rapids.

There are a couple of great threads over on the ports of call-Canada board about things to see and do in Saint John - I'd particularly take a look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=726188

I also agree with the OP. I was on a 7 night Canada/NE in Sept of 06. It is my least favorite of the ships I have been on, food and staff included.

People may post more if they don't get flamed for merely stating opinions for whatever reason. It is their right to do so.

Cut the people who do not always give Carnival 5 stars some slack please:D:D

Off the soapbox:eek:

AllI've been thinking about is the lobster and seafood. How far from the pier is the food.

If you're docking at Long Wharf, you're about a 10-minute walk from the restaurants in Market Square. Steamer's is on Water Street, a bit further walk, across the street from the Pugsley ship terminal.

I was careful to point out that I was on the ship before the drydock so I can't comment on the current condition of the ship. My post talked about the basic design of the ship which pretty much mirrors all the Carnival Fleet except for the Spirit class.

There are too many people squeezed onto the ship and the layout is poor in terms of functionality and passenger flow, especially with the midship dining room blocking access to the rear dining room unless you hump and bump up and down the stairs along with hundreds of your fellow cruisers.

And the obsolete cafeteria lines in the Lido with limited seating on the serving level, no fun doing the juggling act with plates as you climb the stairs and then look for a table.

Decor is a matter of personal tastes.

And the flat floors and many poles in the theater and lounges. All the other lines have long since changed their theater layouts to eliminate these problems

There is a poster (Dzny??) currently on this ship doing a Live from.... thread. Her first morning and she complained about the long lines everywhere for breakfast. Poor ship design and saves a lot of money for the company at the expense of the passenger. She seemed to accept it as normal.

We tolerate the lines at the Disney parks because they have a wonderful and unique product.

Carnival doesn't, on either point above.

JMHO

Sorry you did not have a good on time on Carnival. As far as lines ...I seriously doubt you can get thousands of people together and NOT have some kind of line. My point above and still my point now is this: It is a vacation, make the best of your cruise. Are cruises perfect?? No, but neither are we. JMHO

Archived