Wind Spirit Review- Istanbul to Athens

kimiata

Thanks so much for the detailed review! I'm trying to convince my husband that this itinerary would be the perfect way to spend my 40th birthday next summer. I'm going to print out your review and leave it somewhere conspicuous for him to find! : - )

I'm so glad you enjoyed sailing with Windstar!

Andrea

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Kimiata, for your review, which I found helpful. Since you have also sailed on Oceania could you compare the food on Oceania (which I sailed on last year) and your cruise in Windstar (which I sailed several years ago and I suspect things have changed.)

Hi Boreus, based on our one Oceania cruise and our one Windstar cruise, I would have to say the food was a lot better on the Oceania one, where we particularly enjoyed the specialty restaurants. On our Windstar cruise, we thought the breakfasts and lunches were very good. But the food in the dining room at dinner was a bit bland for our tastes. It was fine, but it just wasn't great. Desserts were just OK, too.

Overall though, we liked Windstar more than Oceania. We thought the service was much better, and I never felt like it was crowded the way I sometimes felt on Oceania. We have upcoming cruises booked on both lines.

• 10 months later...

Loved your review on WS Istanbul-Athens. Regarding your stay in Istanbul, did you take the WS precruise package or set up your own? If your own, how did you arrange for your guide and approx what was the cost? Thanks for your help.

Celti

Loved your review on WS Istanbul-Athens. Regarding your stay in Istanbul, did you take the WS precruise package or set up your own? If your own, how did you arrange for your guide and approx what was the cost? Thanks for your help.

Celti

Hi Celti, we booked our pre-cruise stay in Istanbul on our own. Most of the hotels will pick you up at the airport and take you to the cruise ship. We contacted our guide through his website: tour guides in Istanbul and Turkey / Kagan Kosagan I forget how much we paid but it was reasonable.

We loved Istanbul. You can find a lot of information about it on the Ports of Call boards under Europe. Have fun!

Hi... I just wanted to add that my husband and I took this cruise in 2001.

WE just loved it. We met such nice people on board, since these cruises are smaller and more intimate... you can make long time friends. Many of the couples we met on that cruise, we still keep in touch with.

Also, I found all the ports to be so wonderful, and though many ships visit this same area... I think the smaller cruise made it more personal, and more of an adventure... instead of a monstrous hotel on the water.

I just can't say enough about it, so anyone that has the means... I highly recommend it!

stephanie

Archived