Concierge Tipping

Previously we went on the NOS 3 years ago in a Grand Suite. There were no guidelines for tipping the concierge so we gave hime $50, as he was very helpful and kept us entertained during those pre-dinner drinks in the lounge. We are going on the Mariner at the end of August and was wondering what other people tip the concierge. The conceirge at the time on the NOS was Francois Roux, I hope the concierge on the Mariner is as helpful.

It depends on how much you ask them to do. The $50 sounds about right since you say he did some extra things.

If all they do is say hello when you come in and fix your drinks, then $20 or so is appropriate.

If they have an assistant who fixes the drnks, don't forget him/her.

I'm sure some don't tip them at all.

Recently RCI cut the salaries for the Concierges and now they are really depending on those tips. There is a place for the Concierge now on the gatuities form that you turn in to Guest Realtions and you also get an envelope for that.

I am very outgoing and always make good friends with the Concierge. We have always tipped well and now, since their salaries have been cut, we make sure we do.

It depends on how much you ask them to do. The $50 sounds about right since you say he did some extra things.

If all they do is say hello when you come in and fix your drinks, then $20 or so is appropriate.

If they have an assistant who fixes the drnks, don't forget him/her.

I'm sure some don't tip them at all.

I agree with Paul on the above. All depends on what the Concierge does for you during the cruise.

There is a place for the Concierge now on the gatuities form that you turn in to Guest Realtions and you also get an envelope for that.

There was no place on the Gratuities form for the Concierge on our June cruise on the Radiance. We were in a GS. We just tipped Rayno in cash.

LL

We had Francois as our concierge on the Freedom this past June and thought he was outstanding! He helped us with quite a few things, was very personable and overall made our week outstanding. We tipped him $100 and the bartender $25.

We booked a cruise for next June and were very disappointed when we told Francois and he told us that with his rotation that he probably will be on vacation:(

This is a fairly new thing. We were on the Adventure on 6-29 and that's the way it was then and there. I'm sure all the ships with CL's will be adding this in the near future.

That's good to know. I wonder if they will offer that option if you are C&A Diamond, but not in a GS or above...

LL

On our last Jewel trip, it was the bartender on deck 13 that got the $50.00 tip. Teodore was fantastic!! We tipped the concierge as well, but not as much. There was nothing on the suggested tipping document that said anything about tipping the concierge.....even tho we were in an OS. So I have learned something here. I did not know that the wages of a concierge have been reduced.........or we would have been more generous with the concierge.

Rick

On our last Jewel trip, it was the bartender on deck 13 that got the $50.00 tip. Teodore was fantastic!! We tipped the concierge as well, but not as much. There was nothing on the suggested tipping document that said anything about tipping the concierge.....even tho we were in an OS. So I have learned something here. I did not know that the wages of a concierge have been reduced.........or we would have been more generous with the concierge.

Rick

In April, on the Serenade, they had just added the place where you could tip the concierge on the gratuities sheet. It was for a single amount, at your discretion, and not per day amount like the room stewards, etc....

If I don't ask for anything, like ice tix or tender tix and really don't use his service so I don't tip him. I pour my own coffee in the morning from the caraffe in the CL andhelp myself to a crossant, the same as if I was in the buffet. If RCL comes out with a guideline like they have for the waiter and room steward I will follow that guideline. Of course if i asked for something above and beyond a tip would be appropriate. I asked several of my fellow Diamond members in the lounge about tipping and they responded they didn't tip unless they received service. Of course that's not a survey of all people who use the lounge, just my personal experience.

NOW PASS THE BUTTERED POPCORN

There was no place on the Gratuities form for the Concierge on our June cruise on the Radiance. We were in a GS. We just tipped Rayno in cash.

LL

I agree. This was not on the gratuities form on the Explorer of the Seas last week, so we just tipped Ricky in cash.

Recently RCI cut the salaries for the Concierges and now they are really depending on those tips.

You don't happen to have any sort of link to this info' date=' do you?

I've always been a low tipper to the concierge ($20).....one, because I don't ask anything of him/her....but I do understand he/she prepares the room, booze, etc.......and two, I never saw the need to give him/her as much as the room attendant gets (who I think works much harder)........MY OPINION!!!!

But, if the concierge is no longer on salary, I will re-think this.

[/color']

You don't happen to have any sort of link to this info, do you?

I've always been a low tipper to the concierge ($20).....one, because I don't ask anything of him/her....but I do understand he/she prepares the room, booze, etc.......and two, I never saw the need to give him/her as much as the room attendant gets (who I think works much harder)........MY OPINION!!!!

What he makes is none of our business. How he gets paid from RCl is again none of our business. Why do people obsess and try to figure out salaries of other people?

What he makes is none of our business. How he gets paid from RCl is again none of our business. Why do people obsess and try to figure out salaries of other people?

EXCUSE ME????!!!!! :mad:

Did you not understand my question? Try reading it one more time.

It's a matter of HOW (salary or tips) they get paid, not HOW MUCH they get paid.

EXCUSE ME????!!!!! :mad:

Did you not understand my question? Try reading it one more time.

It's a matter of HOW (salary or tips)they get paid, not HOW MUCH they get paid.

Neither one is any of our business:eek:

Either you're having a hard time comprehending, or you're trolling for conflict. This has nothing to do with wanting to know how much they make.

If a concierge is no longer on salary, and is now part of the suggested tipping schedule, that most certainly is our business. Are we not the ones tipping them? It affects how much we should be giving. Why is that so hard to understand?

Recently RCI cut the salaries for the Concierges and now they are really depending on those tips. There is a place for the Concierge now on the gatuities form that you turn in to Guest Realtions and you also get an envelope for that.

I am very outgoing and always make good friends with the Concierge. We have always tipped well and now' date=' since their salaries have been cut, we make sure we do.[/size']

I just got off (July 12) the Explorer of the Seas. When I went to the purser's desk for something the Concierge was their working the desk. He told me that the Concierge is now under Guest Relations department. No one in Guest customer relations expects or gets (usually) a tip.

I usually have my tips charged to my cabin and there was NO place on the form for Concierge. They had the normal positions, Waiter, Asst waiter, Head waiter, Cabin Steward. Even when we received envelopes their was NO Concierge envelope.

On the last night I gave him a tip in a blank envelope I take from the stationary package. I did notice that very few people give him an envelope or exchange money when shaking his hands. In my opinion he deserves a tip depending on how much you used him.

This is a fairly new thing. We were on the Adventure on 6-29 and that's the way it was then and there. I'm sure all the ships with CL's will be adding this in the near future.

I was just on the Explorer July 12 and NO place on form and/or no envelopes

Why do the cruise lines ask us to tip the cabin steward, waiter etc.

With your analogy, maybe we shouldn't tip anyone anymore!!!

The only reason it is our business.......is that is how certain staff members are paid.

From this family......if tipping is they way they earn their money......they certainly will be tipped! :)

Rick

You don't happen to have any sort of link to this info, do you?

Only my guess but since the Concierge is in Guest Relations I assume he/she is salaied as is all all Guest relations employees

Archived