What to do on the balcony?

FMCowboy

Come on you guys, tell the truth! Get the extra long extension cord with multiple plug, plug in the crock pock and boom box. Set up hibachi. Call room service for what d'evers and get all yer friends up for the party! Whatever you catch with the rod 'n reel gets cooked on the hibachi and there you go!

souns like a lot of great ideas. I do see that ours is a regular balcony but should be fine for us.

thanks for all the replies

ps: so when on your balcony it is totally private and cant see the people next door?, hows the sound protection from hearing others?

Are you port or starboard? In Hawaii, we enjoyed ;) watching the late people run down the pier to get on the ship in time to leave from each port. Amazing how many people you see just throwing trash on the ground on their way.

It's kinda funny..... (though I'm sure not funny for the people who are running late). We didn't see anyone actually miss the ship...

wow, as poor law students, DH and I can only do maybe 1 cruise a year and cheap inside cabin it is. After reading all your posts, we can't wait until the day we can upgrade!

I am also curious, what is the privacy on a balcony like?

We've gone down to the buffet and taken our breakfast tray back up for breakfast on the balcony several times. I like to go out there, sit in a chair prop up my feet, and just watch the wake of the ship as we slide across the ocean. I also like to go out every night right before bed, and just stare at all of the stars in the sky. On our trip on the Miracle this past Feb., I was able to see several falling stars one night. I'll go out while he's getting ready for dinner and vice versa. It's a great place when pulling into/out of port for taken some great pictures, you don't have to rush up to a higher deck and "beat the crowd" to the railings to see the port. We use our balcony a good bit, never really had privacy issues with neighbors, yes you can hear them when you go out if they are already out there, but I have found (on the aft balconies anyway) that it's really quiet out there from mid-night on, and sometimes (mid-day) in the afternoon. I like when we are leaving a port that I can stand on my balcony(aft balcony), turn around, face the door to the cabin, look up and see how many others are on their balcony watching as we prepare to leave/enter a port. Lots of people, but only until we anchor when arriving, or get a little speed going when we depart, then poof, they're gone.

I am definitely aft balcony spoiled, and after this trip, 9A's are a new favorite.:D I loved being able to go to the side of the ship to see a port as well as be at the back of the ship.

It's not that private. Like, I'd never consider having sex out there..... (o.k. I mentioned it... how many people were thinking of that/considering it)... :eek: OP wanted to keep it clean...

Oh, it's private enough. Don't knock it until you've tried it. :D Only a boat passing by could see you & unless you're really noisy, you're just fine.

Ah, the balcony. Just thinking about it calms me. On our last cruise I got the best pic of a rainbow over the ocean. It was also neat passing along the side of a rainstorm and watching it from the bl. A bl is also especially great if you have small kids because you can relax out there while the child naps, plus when said child goes to bed early.

Oh, it's private enough. Don't knock it until you've tried it. :D Only a boat passing by could see you & unless you're really noisy, you're just fine.

LOLOLOLO

Keep the lights off outside AND inside the cabin- no reflections

One of our 'neighbors' told us they put the cushions from the sofa on balcony and 'slept' out there all night

There is privacy- enough.. ;)

It's not that private. Like, I'd never consider having sex out there..... (o.k. I mentioned it... how many people were thinking of that/considering it)... :eek: OP wanted to keep it clean...

Definitely on my to do list!!! ;)

I love to sleep, but for some reason I'm never able to sleep in on the ship - always excited to start the day, I guess! So I'll grab the capers in the morning before DH wakes up and read it with a bottle of water while enjoying the view.

We've been known to get back on the ship from port, stop at the grill for a hot dog and some fries or a bowl of ice cream, and have a mini-picnic while watching everyone come back to the ship.

Our balcony on the Destiny will be the first regular-sized balcony we've had, so I hope we don't feel too cramped - we've been REALLY spoiled. DH insists on a balcony more than I do - I was set to book an OV for my brother's wedding cruise since it's on the Ecstasy - he was the one who said he needed a balcony, so we ended up booking an 11 - spending as much on that 5-day cruise for 3 as we are on our 9 day BTB for 3! :rolleyes:

I love to sleep, but for some reason I'm never able to sleep in on the ship - always excited to start the day, I guess! So I'll grab the capers in the morning before DH wakes up and read it with a bottle of water while enjoying the view.

We've been known to get back on the ship from port, stop at the grill for a hot dog and some fries or a bowl of ice cream, and have a mini-picnic while watching everyone come back to the ship.

Our balcony on the Destiny will be the first regular-sized balcony we've had, so I hope we don't feel too cramped - we've been REALLY spoiled. DH insists on a balcony more than I do - I was set to book an OV for my brother's wedding cruise since it's on the Ecstasy - he was the one who said he needed a balcony, so we ended up booking an 11 - spending as much on that 5-day cruise for 3 as we are on our 9 day BTB for 3! :rolleyes:

We do the same thing, grabbing a bowl of ice cream as everyone's getting back. It can be fun to watch people rushing back at the last minute- on the Miracle we watched a tender coming in from Belize with about 30 seconds to spare.

And as far as 'other things' go on the balcony, it can be done :D

This has never happened to me however after spending countless hours reading these threads you need to be careful. A lot of stories about getting locked out of the cabin and stuck on the balcony for hours. One guy (sorry don't remember his name) but he got stuck and tried climbing up the side of the ship. When some people saw him they called security which responded to his cabin guns drawn.:eek: So his story said. I have never stayed in a cabin with a balcony,:( so I don't know if the doors lock automatically or not however this was a common theme so just be sure the door doesn't lock behind you.:)

This has never happened to me however after spending countless hours reading these threads you need to be careful. A lot of stories about getting locked out of the cabin and stuck on the balcony for hours. One guy (sorry don't remember his name) but he got stuck and tried climbing up the side of the ship. When some people saw him they called security which responded to his cabin guns drawn.:eek: So his story said. I have never stayed in a cabin with a balcony,:( so I don't know if the doors lock automatically or not however this was a common theme so just be sure the door doesn't lock behind you.:)
I remember the thread about someone being locked out on the balcony. However, I think his SO had something to do with actually locking the door.

We've had balconies on different ships and different lines. I think that they all required a positive action from the inside (like turning a bolt) in order to lock. Chances of being locked out by accident are, IMHO, very remote.

Charlie

I remember the thread about someone being locked out on the balcony. However, I think his SO had something to do with actually locking the door.

We've had balconies on different ships and different lines. I think that they all required a positive action from the inside (like turning a bolt) in order to lock. Chances of being locked out by accident are, IMHO, very remote.

Charlie

Exactly. Someone had to lock him out there, the door does not automatically lock.

On the last day (and perhaps while in port?) if you are in your cabin dressing, undressing, getting out of the shower, doing what you do on romantic cruises, etc I might suggest closing the drapes.

On disembarkation day, we were lying on the bed watching TV and waiting to depart the ship (yes, just watching TV, really). We then watched a couple of crew members pull open the dividers between cabins to get through to clean the glass on the balconies. That might have sucked (for us) if we weren't just watching TV:eek:

describe "not that private"? We are in 7156, what sie of the ship is that?

If someone wants to see into your balcony they can, but it will take the effort of looking around, over, or under the divider. Also there is a reflection in the plexiglass that can be seen through the gap in the divider. As far as sound goes, there is no privacy from sound carrying. Unless you are traveling with people you know in the cabins next to you, you will likely never see these people again anyway.

getting a special coffee and sitting out there with my Hubby watching the world (or Ocean ) go by,

getting together with our Friends for a afternoon cocktail,

sailorwife:)

Same with us! We sit out there with our morning coffee..and there's nothing like sitting out there day or night. It's very relaxing and private.

The refelction off the glass is something most people dont realize.

On our last cruise we went the whole cruise without seeing the passengers on either side of our balcony, and we spend a lot of time out there.

The last night of the cruise, at approx 2am we decide to go out on the balcony for some adult time. Well, both neighbors had the same idea, but didnt bother to turn the cabin lights out.

Needles to say it didnt matter which direction we turned, it was like looking at flat screen TV. My wife wanted to say something so they would turn out the light but I figured it would be less embarassing for them if the never knew.

Until they read this post.....

Archived