Thinking of purchasing snorkel equipment.

Orcrone

I can use my scuba equipment to go snorkeling, however, DW does not dive and does not have any snorkel equipment. We're thinking of purchasing mask, snorkel and fins for her, mainly so she doesn't have to stick a snorkel in her mouth that's been used by countless people.

I'm wondering if this will save much money. We're going to Eastern Caribbean; St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, San Juan and Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island). Will we be able to go to beaches and just snorkel, or will we need to purchase boat excursion tickets anyhow, saving no money. The advice I get will really just affect whether it's worth it to purchase fins.

Thanks,

Marc

Of the islands you list, I've only been to St. Thomas and Puerto Rico, so I'll limit my comments to those stops. St. Thomas has plenty of snorkeling from shore, but the neighbouring island of St. John has the reputation for better snorkeling. Stopping in San Juan, well there seems to be a total lack of water sports in San Juan. I know Puerto Rico has some good diving, but it is several hours drive away from San Juan. I'll bet that at HMC there will be places to snorkel from shore.

It is possible to rent just the fins, but I think you are on the right track buying DW her own mask and snorkel. That way she will be sure to get one that fits right and that will increase her/your enjoyment in the water.

I agree with Bruce-R about buying your DW her own mask and snorkel. My DH took me to a local dive shop (11 years ago!) and we found a small mask for me. It's a perfect fit. For our upcoming cruise, we plan on renting the fins and vest (if needed). DH's fins will take up a lot of room in the suitcase.

We've been to Trunk Bay, St John on our first cruise. We enjoyed the snorkeling there. I've heard folks travel to Trunk Bay on their own.

My wife doesn't dive either, but that doesn't mean I'd scrimp on equipment for her. I know I only want good quality equipment for my diving, so why should she settle for second rate stuff for snorkeling.

Just like my dive equipment, we went to our local dive shop and bought everything she needs. And, since you're a diver, you already know how long good stuff lasts. I think she's been using her stuff for at least 15 years now and it's still in great condition.

This year we added a microprene (1mm) suit to help protect her from the sun and keep her warmer. She also uses a dry snorkel, which I highly recommend for a novice.

Actually, the only thing we're debating whether or not to buy is the fins. I was more curious about whether there were places we could go snorkeling on our own, rather than having to book an excursion.

One of my worst skills is mask clearing, because I can go for an entire dive without having to clear it once. So I definitely understand what you're saying about good equipment.

I have a silly question, what is a dry snorkel?
A snorkel that closes at the top when it's hit by a wave, or dipped under water .... saves having to have a big breath of air to blow the tube clear after going under, and also saves a mouthful when you lean too far forward and dip the end under .... (Love my OceanMaster Dry snorkel!)

And we originally bought our mask, snorkel & fins for snorkeling, then took up diving a few years later ..... so it was worth the investment in good gear.

We never did our snorkeling with an excursion - always went off on our own. Coki was nice, Trunk Bay St. John is wonderful (just hopped the ferry over) ....

Not a silly question! A dry snorkel is one that has a 'valve' at the top that closes so no water comes down into the snorkel. When you breath, out it opens. You can still breath in, you just don't get a mouth of sea water and you don't have to blow to clear it. When you dive under it is closed. When you surface, with a regular snorkel, you would have to clear the water out of the tube. This type you don't cause none got in! Yes, they cost a bit more, but well worth it too me!!

I have a Sherwood Mako and it is lighter weight than some, esp the Ocean Master that has a large heavy bulbous top, (IMHO) and I love it. I also recommend a snorkel keeper on the mask strap. You can let it out of your mouth and it stays attached.

PS: While I was typing my reply, I did not see the reference to the previous poster who was also typing & stated that they loved their Ocean Master. No direct reply to that intended. I bought an OM and just did not like it. Thought it was too top heavy. That's why there are a bunch of brands out there. :)

PS: While I was typing my reply, I did not see the reference to the previous poster who was also typing & stated that they loved their Ocean Master. No direct reply to that intended. I bought an OM and just did not like it. Thought it was too top heavy. That's why there are a bunch of brands out there. :)

Snorkelcat ... no offense taken!:) OM is a bit top heavy, but for me, it keeps the water out better .... I also have a Genesis Mojave snorkel which is a bit lighter and works okay as well. (The OM is a non-flex for snorkeling, the Genesis is a flex style I use for scuba diving.)

2BCruising .... if you shop on-line you can find a variety of dry snorkels for a bit under $20 up to $30-$40 and higher ... check out Leisure Pro, Scuba.com, DiveBooty.com among others ..... or check with a local dive shop - sometimes they have sales, or clearance items, or will match a on-line price.

What's a snorkel keeper? My snorkel has a clip on it which I think should attach to the mask. Is that what you are referring to? We're going back to the dive shop this weekend to purchase my husband's mask and snorkel and I thought I would ask them what it's for. 10 days till we leave and I can't wait!:p

A snorkel keeper is just what you said...it keeps the snorkel attached to the mask. All of mine are round and look/feel/work like heavy duty plastic velcro. The 2 halves 'snap' together. It also rotates, so the when I let the snorkel out of my mouth, it can move out of the way.

Archived