Thanks to Carnival

tripmac

I just got off the phone with Park West Gallery and it might not surprise me if Mr White receives an inquiry from them. The following is from the website I found where Mr White is talking about cruiseship art:

==========================================================

You can buy a Peter Max at stunningly low prices. It will be shipped to you in a tube and you will pay a small fortune getting it custom framed. But that is not the point. All the art sold on cruiseships has been purchased in bulk from wholesalers wanting to dump their old and unsold products

=================================================================

In speaking with Park West, I found that the art provided by them for cruise auctions is no different than any they provide for any other sale. It was emphatically stated to me that they DO NOT purchase bulk wholesale art. The art offered by them is either purchased direct from the artist of from the certified collection of the estate. This supports the information I have gotten from the collectors I have spoken with at the auctions on board. By the way, it comes framed too.;)

One more thing.....from the Park West web site:

===================================================================

Authenticity: Every work of art purchased at Park West Gallery carries a money back, limited guarantee of authorship and comes with a certificate of authenticity, including the complete description and research information on each work.

==========================================================

Thanks for the heads up though. I didn't want to mislead anyone about Carnival auctions and I am now confident that I have not Ms Plugged Nickle.:D

Well, since you like to read this stuff for yourself, there is still another place called ripoff.com you can go to, type in park west and see what pops up. Now IAM confident things are not what they appear to be.

This was my 1st cruise. I looked to this website for ideas on what I would expect and it fell way short. Thank you for agreeing with me to a point. Everything just seemed to start out with same same old inticement for this or whatever they were hawking-was not prepared for, did not buy into it. Just very irritating to hear big inticements, the hook, whatever you want to call it. Guess it all falls to what you see and believe for your own self.

I just have to agree with you that the endless hawking stuff on Carnival NEVER seems to end along with all the useless reminders for things that are already listed in the newsletter.We was harrassed to no end to buy their cookbooks by our waiter in the dining room and I just finally told him NO and I do NOT appreciate you doing this! However, just say NO and voice your opinions in the comments section and turn it in!

I've been on two different CCL cruises and have never felt pressured into buying anything. Yes, if you go to the port meeting with the cruise director he/she will recommend certain shops, but they have also told us about stuff to avoid buying because they break easily or for whatever reason. You don't have to take their advice or even attend the meeting.

As to the art auction, we looked at the silent auction in the corridor over the week and it is listed on the info sheet whether the item is a print, litho, sericel, or an actual painting. They had an original Dali that went for quite alot, but the main point is to be an informed consumer and to also buy what appeals to you.

Okay in reply to the original thread, its great to hear that Carnival once in a while does a nice thing. :D

To the OP that seem to have wandered off topic, it constantly amazes me that people are so made up with there own opinion that they are not prepared to even consider another point of view. To be honest as stated Carnival is a Business out to make money and the auctions make them money if it was a complete rip-off then people wouldnt go back and they would cease making money on them. (Note most of the members on the board have been on multiple Carnival Cruises, and as the saying goes once bitten twice shy.)

If you dont like people trying to sell you things then please dont go on anymore cruises because as a number of posters have said it happens on all the cruise lines. I've been on 7 and a simple no not interested sends them away. My pet peeve is the constant irritation of picture taking and blocking areas of the ship and making it hard to get around. However, I realize that to many other PAX the pictures are an essential part of their cruise and they would be horrified and upset if they stopped taking them. The same also goes for the Auctions I have met many people on the cruise who gush about them. (Personnely I couldnt give two hoots about them but if other people like and want them who am I to object, as mentioned I just dont go to them.)

I see one of the posts mentions a peeve about the constant repition of information on the speakers and in the Newsletter. I have met people on the cruise bemoaning the fact they were not informed of an event even after I had gone deaf listening to the announcements and reading the 18 point font in the newsletter mentioning the event.

I've seen the comments about Carnival ripping people off on their excursions by charging more and trying to talk people into only using Carnival approved stores and hows its all just to make more money. Yes it does help them make more money and make the cruises less expensive but if you stopped and considered a little more you will realize its not only because of that, try visiting the pursers office when an itinery has changed because of weather or a medical emergency and have all the screaming people wanting to know what Carnival or Cruise line X (As all the cruise lines do it the same way.) are going to do to fix their excursion booking that they missed because of the change. (Book a Carnival Excusion and you know that no matter what happends to the itinery you will be refunded for the change.) And those same PAX will be screaming the same for a third party excursion which Carnival has no control over or about the store that sold them gold that wasnt real gold. Yes Carnival costs a little more for some of these things but many times its to offset there risks and this doesnt even consider the PAX that do not want to be bothered making there own bookings but would rather have a one stop shop for their vacation.

Lastly I am very sorry this website fell short in your opinion, with its 112,000+ members and 1mil plus posts I thought most items would have been covered but it appears not.

I think my signature says it all there is alway more than one way to interpret something. :)

Yes, we all did get off the Topic of this thread, but when OPs add-on to what was posted, I figure its fair to answer since they are using this post.

Dan, Its' ripoffreport.com....There is plenty of information regarding what you seem to be so angry about regarding a certain art gallery. I read all the posts on it and it is apalling.

I just do not like to be misinformed and lied to at every turn of all places on a cruise ship. I do not think other people would like it either. The lie started with a ticket purchase from a Carnival PVP and started from there.

Yes, we all did get off the Topic of this thread, but when OPs add-on to what was posted, I figure its fair to answer since they are using this post.

Dan, Its' ripoffreport.com....There is plenty of information regarding what you seem to be so angry about regarding a certain art gallery. I read all the posts on it and it is apalling.

I just do not like to be misinformed and lied to at every turn of all places on a cruise ship. I do not think other people would like it either. The lie started with a ticket purchase from a Carnival PVP and started from there.

Reneei-

First of all, previously you stated something about me liking to read stuff. The Park West info came from a direct telephone call to the source. Just wanted that clear.

I went to the site you mentioned. As it states right at the top of the web page, it is a site "for consumers, by consumers". Also stated is that it is a service of "badbusinessservice.com". My opinion only....a place for people to b**ch. I read the 14 comments about Park West. Did you read the rebuttals from people who supported Park West? I typed in Carnival Cruise Lines in the search bar and there were 13 complaints. I especially liked the one from the guy who was ranting that Carnival wouldn't stop the ship and come back to the dock to get him because he was late.:rolleyes: If this is where you want to gather your information, that is your choice. If your original comments that started this had said that the art wasn't worth a plugged nickle "to you", that would have been completely different. However, since you made the blanket statement that it wasn't worth a plugged nickle....period....I will continue to stand by my original comments. Many people purchase things without being informed. If someone bought a litho thinking it was an original painting, they didn't pay attention. Maybe they had too much to drink or were socializing and not listening. That is their fault, not the fault of the seller.

Yea, I guess thats why U.S.A. Today had a big article about them in their magazine---and yea, the people didn't know what they were doing since they were supplied all the free champagne 1 hour before the Auction started...I guess the truth does hurt-so many other peole can't all be wrong and F.Y.I. Mr. White never mentioned their name so I guess you got a freelance writer in trouble-Nice Going!

Yea, I guess thats why U.S.A. Today had a big article about them in their magazine---and yea, the people didn't know what they were doing since they were supplied all the free champagne 1 hour before the Auction started...I guess the truth does hurt-so many other peole can't all be wrong and F.Y.I. Mr. White never mentioned their name so I guess you got a freelance writer in trouble-Nice Going!
I guess the cruise line forced that champagne down their throats....and I really doubt all were sloshed(and I did say maybe they drank). You obviously pay way more attention to others drinking habits than I.

As for your writer...he stated "all" the art was purchased in bulk. Last I checked, "all" would include them. Information in his comments were dead wrong. Gee, you gave me his name, maybe it's you who is in trouble.

You believe as you wish, I'll believe as I do. Others can make their own conclusions. There will alwyas be issues with values of anything. You stated originally that the art sold onboard isn't worth a plugged nickle. That is not true.

I dont watch other peoples' drinking activities. It is plainly stated 5 times a day every day on the ships daily paper Free Champagne for either the Auction or The Club Vacation (2 of the highest priced things on board)-Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Sorry, but I stand by my beliefs-These ships have become nothing more than floating Flea Markets/Swap Meets.

I have done the math, I am intitled to my opinion, you are intitled to yours. So many people just cannot be wrong especially a huge magazine as U.S.A. Today. It's a dead horse. Thank you.

Sorry, but I stand by my beliefs-These ships have become nothing more than floating Flea Markets/Swap Meets.

I for one, will be glad this person has given up cruising based on her conclusions, as we won't have an opportunity to cross paths.

I dont watch other peoples' drinking activities. It is plainly stated 5 times a day every day on the ships daily paper Free Champagne for either the Auction or The Club Vacation (2 of the highest priced things on board)-Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

I have done the math, I am intitled to my opinion, you are intitled to yours. So many people just cannot be wrong especially a huge magazine as U.S.A. Today. It's a dead horse. Thank you.

I suggest you avoid cruising on ANY line period. Your complaints could easily have been spoken about any of the cruises on any of the lines we have sailed with. It's part of the reason that cruising has become affordable for so many. Cruise fares are lower and the companies have discovered that people on vacation will spend extra money for extras once on board if they are marketed effectively. Some of us are thrilled to get on board for great low prices and spend very little on those extras once on board because they don't appeal to us. JUST SAY NO. I have no great devotion to any line in particular so I don't care if you pummel one over the other. But, because your cruising experience is extremely limited I think it sounds a little silly being so indignant about how dreadful Carnival is when most of us who have cruised more know that unless you want to put your money where your mouth is and cruise with a truly all inclusive, this is the type of experience you'll get on all the main stream cruise lines. Cruising is obviously not for you.

And when did the USA Today rag become the final authority on such matters? The author there was stating an opinion, as you are. Oh. I am so sorry, I guess the author did a lot of research and discerned the absolute truth of the matter. NOT! These socalled reporters start with a preconceived idea of where they want their stories to go and use information that supports that view, ignoring all else.

I have looked at the art for sale on board, but haven't seen anything that I really wanted. I prefer to buy through a landbased gallery where I can choose a piece, take time to research it, determine the worth, and then make my purchase. There are others that know the worth of the items for sale on the ships and might walk away with a bargain.

I for one, will be glad this person has given up cruising based on her conclusions, as we won't have an opportunity to cross paths.

Thank God for little things.

At least I let my friends know how things really are and I do not work for a agency that will give me a free trip for every unsuspecting group of 21 people I bring on.

Have fun on your next free cruise

At least I let my friends know how things really are and I do not work for a agency that will give me a free trip for every unsuspecting group of 21 people I bring on.

Have fun on your next free cruise

HUH? I'm in retail, and I've never had a free cruise in my life.:confused:

And the 21 people were family members.

WOW. Now I see why you hated your cruise.

Archived