Santorini beach -taxi v. bus

I will be in Santorini in August together with about 6000 other passengers from 4 ships. I would like to do Oia and possibly one beach on our own. Anyone know how much a taxi would cost from Thira to one of the beaches on the other side of the island? I would take the bus but want to have a backup in case the buses are crowded. Any suggestions to deal with the crowds?

There are numerous threads discussing this subject and I have learned a lot. For example

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=763516&highlight=santorini+bus

I was planning on seeing Oia on my own by bus. Bus goes from near the cable car at top of Thira to Oia and is about 2Euros. Some say a taxi is about $15 each way. I will be going in August and understand that there will be 4 ships in port to expecting it to be crowded. You should have a better time in October with smaller crowds. I suggest deciding how much time you have an what you want to see. Basically, there is Oia, a few beaches, Thira and wineries. We aren't interested in the wineries and want to take a leisurely day, so will do it on our own.

Suggest searching the threads for Santorini and there should be more info.

Archived