Shore Excursions

LANCEANDGINGER

There has been quite a bit written about this- many passengers made their own arrangements using guides found on this site. As usual, they visit the same sites as the O tours, but because you have a small group you can squeeze a few more stops in. Few of the ports had taxis, you pretty much need to arrange things in advance, take the O tour, or wander around on foot. We did all 3 in different ports.

Just be aware that if enough passengers don't sign up for an excursion, it will be cancelled. We had booked O excursions last year and this year, and each time at least one of our excursions was cancelled. So if you do book, make sure you have a backup plan in case the excursion is cancelled!

Wineart - when did you find out that O cancelled their excursions; before the cruise, the first day of the cruise, or the morning of? I ask because we have booked numerous O excursions and may possibly want to reserve private tours instead.

We didn't find out until a couple of days before date of the tours. On the cruise I just came back from a couple of weeks ago, I had booked private guides for 2 ports, Oceania tours for 2 ports, and the rest we self-toured. One of the two Oceania tours was cancelled. I didn't make specific notes, but it appeared to me that when I looked at the daily newsletter that Oceania publishes onboard, it was not uncommon for tours to be cancelled.

Archived