Tahitian Princess excursions

stellaB

:confused: Due to anticipated lack of tours offered ashore on arrival am considering taking ship excursions on Raiatea and Huahine. The excursion board seems to indicate a maximum of 20 per trip but is this strictly true? That would be an acceptable number for a circle island coach trip but do not want to get crammed into anything larger. Is it possible that only a proportion of the tours get released for pre-booking and real numbers are larger? Are the off-road 4WD tours sufficiently more exciting to warrant the discomfort?

Any input from past cruisers would be much appreciated.

(Spikesgirl - no need to post here, I will chat to you on the rollcall board)

Some of the excursions use Le Truck, the local form of transportation in FP, for the driving part of the excursions. I've seen some photos of Le Trucks and they are not as large as the usual tour buses that are used in the Caribbean and Hawaii for ship's excursions.

Thanks flamomo. Of the tours we are considering the choice is air-con bus/coach or 4WD open "jeep" style vehicle. I know some of the other tours use Le Truck but I don't think they are air-conditioned or capable of going off-road ( !! ) so I think we can rule them out as possibilities for these particular tours

Definitely not Le Truck if it's described as air conditioned, although the Le Trucks we've ridden in have been open sided with Isenglass curtains to keep out the rain. some of them are hard pressed just to stay on regular roads, but some of the main roads on the islands leave much to be desired. We rode into Fare on a Le Truck and my butt, padded though it is, hurt by the time we got there due to the rotten roads and lack of suspension in the truck.

They do have regular tour buses and smaller vans. The off road vehicles will mostly likely be adapted jeeps or ATVs.

Think of it all as an adventure and it will be great!

Definitely not Le Truck if it's described as air conditioned, although the Le Trucks we've ridden in have been open sided with Isenglass curtains to keep out the rain. some of them are hard pressed just to stay on regular roads, but some of the main roads on the islands leave much to be desired. We rode into Fare on a Le Truck and my butt, padded though it is, hurt by the time we got there due to the rotten roads and lack of suspension in the truck.

They do have regular tour buses and smaller vans. The off road vehicles will mostly likely be adapted jeeps or ATVs.

Think of it all as an adventure and it will be great!

I think you're all missing the point. In Tahiti things are rustic. And very natural. Thankfully, things have not yet become too "touristy" and modernized, as way too many island destinations are these days.

Going to Tahiti is like stepping back in time. It's like Hawaii must have been like before Hawaii got ruined by too many people trying to recreate whatever they had back on the mainland. The fact that they use the funky old Le Truck on rough roads is part of the charm! Thank God there is no Carlos and Charlies...no McDonalds...no cheezy jewelry shops...no timeshare pests...no annoying people yelling at you to buy their straw hats.

The Tahitian people are softspoken and polite. The place is breathtaking. It's paradise as it is meant to be.

If you go there expecting ice cold air-conditioning and cushy seats you will be disappointed. If you go there looking for exciting night life you will be disappointed. BUT if you go there with the attitude that you are going to soak up the most amazing scenery you've ever seen in your life (it's almost unreal how beautiful it is) and appreciate the simple and natural way of these people...then it might become your favorite place in the whole world. I've been to a lot of fantastic destinations, but Tahiti beats them all for fond memories. I just hope it stays this way and they never modernize Le Truck so we Americans can have a nicer ride!

By the way, the off-road jeep tour on Bora Bora is fantastic.

643571354_BoraBorawatercolors.jpg.690d3286aa667d2c8d590b5e40444b8d.jpg

No, actually, that's why I added the 'think of it as an adventure'. I've been to Tahiti before and know what it's like. In fact, we purposefully seek out the lesser areas there. However, they do have big tour buses, at least on Moorea and we did a couple private circle island tours in nicely equipped vans. The inner roads aren't always in the best of shape, but the main road usually is.

And there are McDonald's in Tahiti (since 1996), but I would never urge anyone to eat there - not when the Roulettes and other fine local restaurants are close at hand. However, wherever toursits go, the trappings will soon follow. Perhaps it's good that Princess is pulling its ship from permanently cruising the region and that will slow down progress a little. Here's hoping!

No, actually, that's why I added the 'think of it as an adventure'. I've been to Tahiti before and know what it's like. In fact, we purposefully seek out the lesser areas there. However, they do have big tour buses, at least on Moorea and we did a couple private circle island tours in nicely equipped vans. The inner roads aren't always in the best of shape, but the main road usually is.

And there are McDonald's in Tahiti (since 1996), but I would never urge anyone to eat there - not when the Roulettes and other fine local restaurants are close at hand. However, wherever toursits go, the trappings will soon follow. Perhaps it's good that Princess is pulling its ship from permanently cruising the region and that will slow down progress a little. Here's hoping!

What cruise lines sail in Tahiti now?

Princess will have the Tahitian until the end of the year (or there abouts) and then will pull it out and rechristen it the Ocean Princess. However, come the Oct-Dec slot next year, the Pacific will be doing cruises in the regions, along with the usual Tahiti/Hawai'i cruises.

Regent still has the Paul Gauguin cruising there, at least until 2010 - Wendy the Wanderer is the one to talk to about PG.

There's also the Star Flyer, Silver Dawn, Tua Moana and the Ti'a Moana - know nothing about them though.

Charlie

I think you're all missing the point. In Tahiti things are rustic. And very natural. Thankfully, things have not yet become too "touristy" and modernized, as way too many island destinations are these days.

Going to Tahiti is like stepping back in time. It's like Hawaii must have been like before Hawaii got ruined by too many people trying to recreate whatever they had back on the mainland. The fact that they use the funky old Le Truck on rough roads is part of the charm! Thank God there is no Carlos and Charlies...no McDonalds...no cheezy jewelry shops...no timeshare pests...no annoying people yelling at you to buy their straw hats.

The Tahitian people are softspoken and polite. The place is breathtaking. It's paradise as it is meant to be.

If you go there expecting ice cold air-conditioning and cushy seats you will be disappointed. If you go there looking for exciting night life you will be disappointed. BUT if you go there with the attitude that you are going to soak up the most amazing scenery you've ever seen in your life (it's almost unreal how beautiful it is) and appreciate the simple and natural way of these people...then it might become your favorite place in the whole world. I've been to a lot of fantastic destinations, but Tahiti beats them all for fond memories. I just hope it stays this way and they never modernize Le Truck so we Americans can have a nicer ride!

By the way, the off-road jeep tour on Bora Bora is fantastic.

AND!! You have to see it for yourself, photos will never capture the color of the water alone. One tip for Raiatea ( in my openion only) the excursion with american Bill Kolan was a big bore & waste of time. He streached a 4 hour tour into 6 & several people missed their dinner time despite them asking to go back many times. People we NOT happy.

Jan

"Going to Tahiti is like stepping back in time. It's like Hawaii must have been like before Hawaii got ruined by too many people trying to recreate whatever they had back on the mainland. The fact that they use the funky old Le Truck on rough roads is part of the charm! Thank God there is no Carlos and Charlies...no McDonalds...no cheezy jewelry shops...no timeshare pests...no annoying people yelling at you to buy their straw hats.

The Tahitian people are softspoken and polite. The place is breathtaking. It's paradise as it is meant to be."

Thank goodness we won't be seeing the unpleasant things mentioned by texashorselady, that are so commom in the Caribbean and Mexico. I do love cruising in the Caribbean, but can do without the raucous atmosphere of C&C's and similar rowdy bars, the pesty sales people, the junky shops marketing "made in China" items that are supposedly local souvenirs, etc.

I look forward to the relativly calm atmosphere that is reported to exist in FP, along with stupendous vistas, beautiful beaches, locals who are welcoming, and the opportunity to see a part of the world that not too many get to visit.

Hurry up, November! I 'm so ready!

, the junky shops marketing "made in China" items that are supposedly local souvenirs, etc.

Unforutnately, at least in Papeete, there are some of those, so do be careful. If someone is selling something much, much less than everyone else, that's probably why. Best place to shop in Papeete is Le Marche, but even there, be wary - especially with some of the jewelry.

The part that amuses me are the folks who come back complaning that there's nothing to do or to buy - last time we were there, Fare, the capital of Huahine, was less than seven blocks long. I'm frankly a little concerned at what we will find this time.

There are tons of things to do beside shopping and sitting in bars. Just walking around and chatting with locals is great. Once they warm up to you, you couldn't ask for a more gracious people. We were cat starved when we were there and a group of little boys ran all the way home and got their kitten so we could have a cat cuddle - bet that wouldn't happen in the Caribbean.;)

, the junky shops marketing "made in China" items that are supposedly local souvenirs, etc.

Unforutnately, at least in Papeete, there are some of those, so do be careful.

True, Papeete is the exception to the rule. It's just another city, as far as I am concerned. Just a place to begin a great cruise!

Wow, my original question certainly stirred up some strong opinions!

Just for the record - we are seeking the laid-back, rustic atmosphere and would be disappointed if we did not find it in FP. We have travelled quite extensively in third world countries and love to try out the local transport, including ox-driven cart on one island where it was the only option. Whilst this heated discussion has been raging I have booked 4WD tour on Huahine but still seeking more recommendations (for Raiatea in particular). We will definitely be using Le Truck on Tahiti for short journeys but 3 hour island tours in extreme heat and on bumpy roads is another thing. I would hate what should be a fantastic experience to be ruined by being overheated and aching all over but if anyone can reassure me that the scenery completely over-rides any such discomfort I would be overjoyed. The last thing I want is to be stuck on some huge coach with 50 other people but if smaller minivans are provided through Princess I would consider them also if being more comfortable will help us enjoy the experience more.

Any chance we can get back to the original subject matter????

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, my original question certainly stirred up some strong opinions!

Just for the record - we are seeking the laid-back, rustic atmosphere and would be disappointed if we did not find it in FP. We have travelled quite extensively in third world countries and love to try out the local transport, including ox-driven cart on one island where it was the only option. Whilst this heated discussion has been raging I have booked 4WD tour on Huahine but still seeking more recommendations (for Raiatea in particular). We will definitely be using Le Truck on Tahiti for short journeys but 3 hour island tours in extreme heat and on bumpy roads is another thing. I would hate what should be a fantastic experience to be ruined by being overheated and aching all over but if anyone can reassure me that the scenery completely over-rides any such discomfort I would be overjoyed. The last thing I want is to be stuck on some huge coach with 50 other people but if smaller minivans are provided through Princess I would consider them also if being more comfortable will help us enjoy the experience more.

Any chance we can get back to the original subject matter????

Maybe I've missed something that you really wanted/did not want to do--have you thought about Bruno in Raetaia--we've gone with him twice--long day--greatest snorkeling-vanilla pantation--lunch--pearls--actually a very good lesson--he takes mavelous pictures--and makes dvds for about $35 with you as the star--he's been helpful to us via email about buying an underwater camera--his boat holds 12 and no more--we were with him in March of this year--he has raised his prices a bit because of the USD--some are starting to want their local currency--if that's the case--use ATM's in Bora Bora or Papette--

Sorry about the bold print

Nancy:D

Nancy -

StellaB is on our cruise and Bruno is solidly booked with fellow Roll Call members. We are three and four on the list and StellaB is behind us, so Bruno is out. Both of us waited just a little too long - sadly...

I haven't taken it--but, I understand that the Coral Gardens excursion from Princess is quite good--maybe that is available--I don't believe that it is an all-day event like Bruno--maybe 1/2 day--either way--go to the Coral Gardens if you can--you can see a great looking remote appearing Hotel--where most anchor their boats before snorkling--since this is drift snorkling--there is one little spit of land with a couple of lounges on it in the water--also some OWB's--from the water side it appears that all cooking is done on bbq's--I could be so wrong--since all I could see was the water side of this resort in Tahaa

Safe Travels

Believe it or not, we are trying to talk StellaB and her husband into joining us for that excursion (Coral Garden). We did it our last time through and it was beautiful - just would have been nice to have been with so many of our other roll call members. She is just a little worried that it might be too advanced for them as they haven't done snorkeling in the past.

Believe it or not, we are trying to talk StellaB and her husband into joining us for that excursion (Coral Garden). We did it our last time through and it was beautiful - just would have been nice to have been with so many of our other roll call members. She is just a little worried that it might be too advanced for them as they haven't done snorkeling in the past.

might be a good idea to try it in a swimming pool if available--also--I didn't snorkle the last time--since I've gotten fairly tired of the mask--anyway the water where the boat is anchored is terrific--clear/enjoyable--walk to the shore--just a little practice and she'll be okay--before Raeataia there might be another snorkle excursion that she could take--there are some that are for beginners and then move on to anther one--she doesn't need to feel pressured if she's uncomfortable with it at the time--just learning to breathe with the snorkle will be all thats necessary

Good Luck/and have a great time

Safe Travels

Thanks for your input Seal. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but Spikesgirl has pretty much brought you up to date. We have provisionally booked the beginners' snorkelling trip on Raiatea but if we decide to buy our own equipment and take it out there we may have a little practice from a beach in Rangiroa first and upgrade to the Coral Gardens trip if successful (and if there are any places left).

Just for the record -since I did not get any sensible replies to the question of coach v 4WD we have opted for the 4WD trips on Raiatea and Huahine so just hope our bodies have not been too bruised and battered from those trips to enjoy the snorkelling!

Archived